Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would shake things up. The Wild have been bad for eight games now with one regulation win in that stretch.

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Granlund - Coyle - Setoguchi
Zucker - Brodziak - Mitchell
Rupp - Konopka - Clutterbuck

Suter - Brodin
Clark - Spurgeon
Falk - Gilbert

Top line looks okay, but I've liked Coyle more since his "demotion". Coyle should be with Granlund. Bouchard is scratched, bring up Zucker. Mitchell moves up, Clutterbuck down.

Don't break up Brodin and Suter, bad things happen almost immediately. Play those horses 30 minutes a game. Our defense after that is atrocious, but what can you do. Gilbert has been a hell of a lot better than Stoner, he should definitely be in. Really it's a mess.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would shake things up. The Wild have been bad for eight games now with one regulation win in that stretch.

Granlund - Coyle - Setoguchi
Zucker - Brodziak - Mitchell

Suter - Brodin
Clark - Spurgeon
Falk - Gilbert

Top line looks okay, but I've liked Coyle more since his "demotion". Coyle should be with Granlund. Bouchard is scratched, bring up Zucker. Mitchell moves up, Clutterbuck down.

Don't break up Brodin and Suter, bad things happen almost immediately. Play those horses 30 minutes a game. Our defense after that is atrocious, but what can you do. Gilbert has been a hell of a lot better than Stoner, he should definitely be in. Really it's a mess.
I agree with a lot of this. Bouchard, Clutterbuck, and lesser extent Brodziak have been really ineffective. Zucker and Mitchell have been very positive.

I am not sure what combination of Setoguchi, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, and Brodziak is going to be effective, but I hope Yeo can figure it out soon. This may be a stretch, but I would try to recreate a speed line and also given Granlund a spot where he can be successful.

Parise-Koivu-Pomer
Zucker-Mitchell-Setoguchi
Coyle-Brodziak-Granlund
Rupp-Kenopka-Clutter

Mitchell can play center, and he has the speed to keep up with Zucker and Setoguchi. Granlund would be playing with 2 big bodies who are good on the boards and he'd be playing wing.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
when cullen gets healthy the wild should bring Zucker up and just role with:

Parise-Koivu-Pommer
Zucker-Cullen-Seto
Coyle-Brodziak-Clutter/mitchell
etc.

I am glad that Granlund is playing better. He is going to be a good player in the future but lets get to our team.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
reunite parise-koivu-coyle and go with

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Clutterbuck-Granlund-Pomminville
Bouchard-Brodziak-Seto
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

not going to happen though.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I agree with a lot of this. Bouchard, Clutterbuck, and lesser extent Brodziak have been really ineffective. Zucker and Mitchell have been very positive.

I am not sure what combination of Setoguchi, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, and Brodziak is going to be effective, but I hope Yeo can figure it out soon. This may be a stretch, but I would try to recreate a speed line and also given Granlund a spot where he can be successful.

Parise-Koivu-Pomer
Zucker-Mitchell-Setoguchi
Coyle-Brodziak-Granlund
Rupp-Kenopka-Clutter

Mitchell can play center, and he has the speed to keep up with Zucker and Setoguchi. Granlund would be playing with 2 big bodies who are good on the boards and he'd be playing wing.

I like this. Zucker, Mitchell and Seto are all fast and the first two usually work their butts off. Seto isn't exactly lazy either.

I'd go as far as to say that Mitchell is the closest thing we've got to Cullen. Their difference is hockey IQ and hands, but Mitchell is faster out of the two. This might be a stretch, but he looks like grinder version of Parise. Deserves a better chance than he's got right now.

With that said, I'd still try Bouchard - Brodziak - Coyle in the third line. If they don't work out, swap Butch with Granlund.

As for the defense, I'd like to see Falk with Spurgeon. They played together in junior as well as occasionally in the Aeros. They might just work in the NHL, too. Scandella hasn't been too hot in Houston, but a call-up might do his confidence wonders. It worked for Dumba at least. With that said, limit Stoner's minutes and let him play with Gilbert in the 3rd pairing. They played together at the start of the season and didn't look too bad. If it doesn't work, bring in Clark and Prosser.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
My opinion,

Move Coyle back to the top line. Sometimes you just don't mess with good things until the puzzle fits together. Jason has been here like a week. 1 or 2 practices and 2 games. That is barely even touching the ability to get chemistry going yet. I believe he will be top line, but don't push things. Spread the offense out if Seto has snakebiten again. Least till Cullen gets back.

Coyle-Koivu-Parise
Pominville-Granlund-Seto
Bouchard-Brodz-Cluster****
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

Still very solid lines and it gives us two viable scoring options on the top 2 lines, instead of only 1. Bouchard is playing like the french guy from "Goon" who won't do anything that may get him injured. Its been almost painful to watch...let alone he has become pretty predictable what he'll do when he skates the puck down ice. Columbus was reading it perfectly.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Still very solid lines and it gives us two viable scoring options on the top 2 lines, instead of only 1. Bouchard is playing like the french guy from "Goon" who won't do anything that may get him injured.

Ah, yes, Xavier LaFlamme. Bouchard seems like the polar opposite character-wise though. I'm really feeling sorry for him, his career was sidetracked by so many injuries and now that he finally got a chance to play with a good team, he simply doesn't fit anywhere any more.

With that said, he really needs to start either moving the puck more or making simpler plays. He's got brilliant hands, great speed and a good shot. He should use the latter two more.

But I guess that's what we've been saying for last 5 years...

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Ah, yes, Xavier LaFlamme. Bouchard seems like the polar opposite character-wise though. I'm really feeling sorry for him, his career was sidetracked by so many injuries and now that he finally got a chance to play with a good team, he simply doesn't fit anywhere any more.

With that said, he really needs to start either moving the puck more or making simpler plays. He's got brilliant hands, great speed and a good shot. He should use the latter two more.

But I guess that's what we've been saying for last 5 years...

Not to mention he actually has a pretty legit shot when he actually does it. The sad thing is, he cherry picks worse than Ovechkin. Relies too heavily on the breakaway to do it

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I'd want to see Seto and Poms swap lines until Cullen comes back.

Parise-Koivu-Seto
Coyle-Granlund-Poms

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
"I'll be perfectly honest,'' Yeo said. "I don't know that (Setoguchi) has been completely on top of his game. Certainly going into a game, he can maybe be a little more sharp, a little more alert if you think you're going to get a few more pucks. He's got the opportunity to help be a leader of this team, and of that line as well. Obviously, Cully is a huge complement to him. But Seto has the ability to have an impact in every game.''
I hope Seto gets that message, I am a big fan of Setos but he is so damn frustrating. So much skill and the ability to take over a game but he doesn't step up and do it. I think Yeo is saying a lot with that public statement and Seto better get the message and make that 2nd line HIS line to lead and carry on his shoulders if he has to.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think a big problem with Seto is that he doesn't create his own scoring chances. He doesn't have great hands so isn't one to make a move (like Ovechkin or Malkin might). That's why he tends to play so much better with a playmaker on his line, especially a hard worker like Thornton or Koivu. Cullen is a hard working player and while he's not as good as those guys, compliments Seto.

I think he's so streaky because, again, he's not creating chances but trying to finish them. When they are going in, he's on fire. When they aren't, he's snake bit. And when his hard working setup guy is hurt or has gone cold, Seto goes cold too.

That's why that second line was nonexistant to start the year...Granlund wasn't ready, Cullen was cold, and Seto was cold as well. When Cullen started playing well, Seto started burying the puck. When Cullen got hurt, Seto disappeared.

Now, he's with Granlund and Bouchard. Butch disappears against good teams for a whole mess of reasons. Granlund still isn't ready. So we aren't seeing much production.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Setoguchi on that top line RW, or with Brodziak, who while he's having a bad year, at least he's a good defensive center who can occasionally force turnovers. And also why I wouldn't mind seeing Coyle with Granlund, because Coyle's a hard worker who can create as well as finish.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Coyle - Granlund - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Brodziak - Mitchell

Brodin - Suter
Gilbert - Spurgeon
Falk - Stoner

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
put Hards on LTIR, bring up Zucker

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Granlund - Pominville
Setoguchi - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Mitchell

win 50 cups etc.

THEKOSTAJA

Apr 7, 2013
Turku
put Hards on LTIR, bring up Zucker

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Granlund - Pominville
Setoguchi - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Mitchell

win 50 cups etc.

This would be worth a try.

****ing 3 goals scored in the last 3 games, and 2 of them on the power play = Time to do some major changes

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Take Pominville off the top line, right now he's messing up both Parise's and Koivu's game. He's a good player and they can put him back there during training camp, but bringing in a player in your top line at the trade deadline was a risky move and right now it's not helping things at all. They got so used to Coyle being there that they got things working and this will work out eventually too, but right now we can't afford to wait for that to happen.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Seto-Cullen-Pominville

Sit Bouchard, put him on the 3rd line or whatever, I don't care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad