Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Problem with Kampfer is that he would be another puck moving defenceman and not really a guy who can play a physical game and is solid defensively.
A puck moving dman is an improvemet over a group of non puck moving dmen who don't make up for it by being solid physical stay at home dmen.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When has this happened?

No one has to tell me how bad he is but if you can't tell the difference in body type between Stoner and Spurgeon I don't know what to say. Falk at least has the potential to stand his ground against larger forwards... Bottom line is that we don't have enough on the back end to go far in the playoffs. I guess Scandella returning to form is our only hope.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
No one has to tell me how bad he is but if you can't tell the difference in body type between Stoner and Spurgeon I don't know what to say. Falk at least has the potential to stand his ground against larger forwards... Bottom line is that we don't have enough on the back end to go far in the playoffs. I guess Scandella returning to form is our only hope.
Oh i can see the difference in body type just fine what i don't see and what apparently most everyone else doesn't see either is Stoner being physical with that large frame of his.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think we just need to sit Stoner, pair Spurgeon with Falk, and drop Gilbert to the bottom pairing with Prosser or Clark.

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
I did like the Clark-Gilbert pairing. I really wanted another defenseman this deadline too. ROB for a 4th and a 5th would've been nice.

What if we tried Pominville at 2C just for tonight, if he's great at C put him there until Cullen returns? P-K-C looked good last night after being reunited. Honestly, I would even try PMB centering the 2nd line. He's got the skillset, maybe have MiG taking faceoffs?

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
next game

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Coyle - Granlund - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Spurgeon(lol) - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Mitchell

Suter - Brodin
Clark - Gilbert
Falk - Kampfer

launch the rest of them to space

what? :D

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
In my opinion when healthy and in the playoffs we should roll ne of two lineups...

Offensive lineup...

Parise-Koivu-Pommer (They were dynamite together once they got it in the O-zone.)
Bouchard-Cullen-Seto
Zucker-Granlund-Coyle
Mitchell-Konopka/Brodz-Rupp/Clutter

Suter/Brodin
Clark/Gilbert
Falk/Spurgeon

Sorry guys. I'm just not a big Clutter guy at all. He used to be a really good player, but he's a play killer when he touches the puck. He used to be good when he hustled and flew around and hit guys and played that roll, but anything more he's not that great at. Good Pker however. Brodziak is also an Ok player. Good defensively/PK once again or at least supposably. Not so good this year. I like how the 4th line plays so I would keep them together.

It's also not as big of a problem when all 3 top liners can kill penalties and so can Cullen and Mitchell.

If you do want to go defense you go...

Captain line...
Coyle-Cullen-Seto (Coyle off-wing)
Clutter/Brodz/Bouchard (Or Coyle if you don't feel comfortable with the off wing)
4th line

Same D pairings.

I think Zucker/Granlund/Coyle would be pretty dominant. Granlunds pretty good at defensive effort.

For now I think you go...

Captain line
Rookie line preferably, but they wont call up Zucker so....
Coyle/Granlund/Seto
Clutter/Brodz/Bouchard (again Bouchard doesn't fit so maybe you wanna call up someone who can play that role better)
4th line

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

Suter - Brodin
Brodin - Suter
Suter - Brodin

Backstrom
Backstrom

Parade time.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Splitting Brodin and Suter to save the Wild D?

We all know they are #1-#2, and will be a top pairing in this league for the next ten years, but until the offseason when we can (hopefully) have more time and resources to get at least one more top #4 dman (who can play the left side), Wild need to spread these two angels out more or less.

Here's my rationale...Yeo's reasoning on keeping Stoner in the lineup is he doesn't have anyone else who can play the left side 20 minutes a night....That is not false people, now i'm not Stoner hater, the guy is solid but he's just clearly out of position with a severe shortage on confidence right now, he's got to sit. Falk and Prosser are solid, but can't play them 20 minutes a night.

Tom Gilbert, oh boy. Now he started the year and finished last year very solid before he got dinged up and then his play went to heck, but, if being scratched doesn't motivate you enough, how about playing with Ryan Suter for some extra motivation? This guy can log 20 minutes a night with his head screwed on right, and presumably Suter could do that for him, that would slot Brodin with Spurgeon and the Wild could at least have two solid d pairing that might win them a round come postseason this year. We would see if this works, but in theory Gilbert should hopefully come back around.

Prosser is solid, Clark is okay, and Falk and Stoner can are wrestle each other for that 7th spot.

So d pairing starting Thursday against St. Louis is......
Suter-Gilbert
Brodin-Spurgeon
Falk-Prosser
Clark-Stoner

Okay, for now anyway, then hopefully we bulk up on D in the offseason. Your thoughts?

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Parise-Koivu-Pominville
Zucker-Cullen/Granlund-Setoguchi
Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Coyle
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell

Suter-Gilbert
Brodin-Spurgeon
Falk-Prosser
Clark-Stoner

Do it!

J22*

We all know they are #1-#2, and will be a top pairing in this league for the next ten years, but until the offseason when we can (hopefully) have more time and resources to get at least one more top #4 dman (who can play the left side), Wild need to spread these two angels out more or less.

Here's my rationale...Yeo's reasoning on keeping Stoner in the lineup is he doesn't have anyone else who can play the left side 20 minutes a night....That is not false people, now i'm not Stoner hater, the guy is solid but he's just clearly out of position with a severe shortage on confidence right now, he's got to sit. Falk and Prosser are solid, but can't play them 20 minutes a night.

Tom Gilbert, oh boy. Now he started the year and finished last year very solid before he got dinged up and then his play went to heck, but, if being scratched doesn't motivate you enough, how about playing with Ryan Suter for some extra motivation? This guy can log 20 minutes a night with his head screwed on right, and presumably Suter could do that for him, that would slot Brodin with Spurgeon and the Wild could at least have two solid d pairing that might win them a round come postseason this year. We would see if this works, but in theory Gilbert should hopefully come back around.

Prosser is solid, Clark is okay, and Falk and Stoner can are wrestle each other for that 7th spot.

So d pairing starting Thursday against St. Louis is......
Suter-Gilbert
Brodin-Spurgeon
Falk-Prosser
Clark-Stoner

Okay, for now anyway, then hopefully we bulk up on D in the offseason. Your thoughts?

One goal allowed in the last 2 games

J22*

27 allowed in the 7 before that.

Fair enough, but why the freakout tonight? The d-core played about as well as you could possibly hope. If the D can play like that for the rest of the year, I would be extremely happy

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Someone said it recently and its been mentioned before but man has Clutterbuck been bad. Time to move him down to the 4th line. Mitchell has way outplayed him..heck Clutter doesn't even seem to hit anymore. I mean tonight he hit Kane once good but recently I haven't been impressed at all.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
At this rate with the D I call Houston and see how Scandella is doing..clearly they don't believe in Clark to do anything..even play at all at this point.

Stoner needs to figure it out or hopefully Scandella has improved in Houston and can come in and play solid minutes for us.(That is probably wishful thinking)

In a perfect world Scandella is playing like he used to be capable of and Stoner figures it out.

Suter-Brodin
Stoner-Spurgeon
Scandella-Gilbert..
Faulk-Prosser
Clark

Remember how good that third pairing was at the end of last year as our top pairing..lets get that going again

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
FreeZucker_zpsf601c827.png

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
IMO, call up Scandella, put him with Gilbert, see if they can find the spark they had last year.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Naw, we shouldn't split Suter and Brodin. They have some sort of bromance going and it'd be rude to interrupt.

Suter-Brodin
Falk-Spurgeon
Stoner/Clark/Scandella-Gilbert

Because aww, why the hell not?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
IMO, call up Scandella, put him with Gilbert, see if they can find the spark they had last year.

I like this idea.

Scandella will be motivated from the callup and Gilbert will be motivated from the scratches.

Spurgeon + Stoner/Falk for 3rd pairing is not bad AT ALL.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Parise-Koivu-Pominville

Coyle-Granlund-Setoguchi

Mitchell-Brodziak-Bouchard

Rupp-Konopka-Clutterbuck

Coyle and Granlund together just works. Seto can find the open spots on the ice and finish. Mitchell and Bouchard on the third line bring a speed element and Brodziak will take care of the defensive side. Fourth line is just a physical wrecking ball, would love to see them on the ice, even if it's tough to break the current one which is working fine.

I really don't know what to do with the D corps, we have a glaring need for a quality top 4 defenseman.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
I like this idea.

Scandella will be motivated from the callup and Gilbert will be motivated from the scratches.

Spurgeon + Stoner/Falk for 3rd pairing is not bad AT ALL.

When you think about it, optimally we have

- Suter and Brodin who've shown they can be a very solid 1st pairing
- Scandella, Gilbert and Spurgeon who at their best can be legit top-4 D-men
- Stoner and Falk who can be good bottom pairing guys
- Clark and Prosser as decent depth guys

It's a shame that Scandella, Gilbert, Spurgeon and Stoner have played below their abilities, and that Falk is still his inconsistent self. In that sense, it's also extremely lucky that we have Brodin playing way beyond what one should ever expect from a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad