Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos Thread II

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What Stoner offers is strength and toughness. If need be, he can also drop the gloves. I agree he is not ideal, but the Wild can't afford to get rid of him and replace him with someone smaller/weaker, as they are already vulnerable to bullying from a big tough team come the playoffs.

What??? Dude Stoner is a complete joke on skates and has been for quite some time. The only reason he's here is this team was so rail thin and he was called up so quickly. Of the three stooges Falk, Prosser, and Stoner...the only one who I would elect to have out there is Falk. While he makes a ton of mistakes he has shown some great hockey sense out there. Stoner is a waste of a roster spot at this point.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Coyle might not have the highest hockey iq on our team, but I don't think it's fair to say it's one of his weaknesses.

He seems to think the game out reasonably well, and he has shown signs of getting better. It would be really unfair to say he has not improved during his time up with the big club. This then shows that he just needs to become more familiar and comfortable here, which he is.

Going after his hockey iq is a little like grasping at straws, imo.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Coyle might not have the highest hockey iq on our team, but I don't think it's fair to say it's one of his weaknesses.

He seems to think the game out reasonably well, and he has shown signs of getting better. It would be really unfair to say he has not improved during his time up with the big club. This then shows that he just needs to become more familiar and comfortable here, which he is.

Going after his hockey iq is a little like grasping at straws, imo.

I agree...

Another thing people need to consider...Coyle was being asked to do specific things on the first line (ie win puck battles along the boards, cycling the puck, etc.), understanding that he is a rookie and shouldn't be counted on the lead the offensive charge with both Parise and Koivu carrying the water in that department. I thought he showed continual improvement in all areas, and I believe he will eventually grow into a first line player a few years down the road.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
To start next season, I'd like to see this:

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Zucker - Granlund - Setoguchi
Coyle - Brodziak - Fontaine
Rupp - Konopka - Mitchell

I like this lineup, but I think it would be very bold to throw Granlund in the 2C spot unless we see something from him this season. I do think he will be a better player, but I think handing him that 2C spot right away is a bit dicey. We need some sort of insurance, because Brodziak shouldn't touch the top two lines. Just IMO.

Billy Mays Here*

If Stoner would just be a bit smarter with his decisions when he has the puck (and when he doesn't for that matter) then I'd be fine with keeping him as a 3rd pairing guy, but he's just so awful with his decision-making. I'm souring on him big time right now, and I use to be one of his biggest supporters on here.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
What Stoner offers is strength and toughness. If need be, he can also drop the gloves. I agree he is not ideal, but the Wild can't afford to get rid of him and replace him with someone smaller/weaker, as they are already vulnerable to bullying from a big tough team come the playoffs.
When has this happened?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
strenght and toughness =/= fights

when will people learn that?

does it translate into hits? How about protecting the puck? clearing the crease? Which of these is Stoner good at?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
does it translate into hits? How about protecting the puck? clearing the crease? Which of these is Stoner good at?

Ah I wan't talking about Stoner just that many think if you're tough you have to fight. Stoner on the other hand has been pretty brutal in the last games.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Ah I wan't talking about Stoner just that many think if you're tough you have to fight. Stoner on the other hand has been pretty brutal in the last games.

he's a big, strong guy and for whatever reason he just hasn't been using it this year. i agree about the general point--i'd call Koivu tough but he should never ever fight.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Yeah, it doesn't say much for our Defense depth in Houston. I'm talking to you, Scandella.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Everytime I have seen Kampfer play he has been pretty good(maybe 10 games this season).

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
There must be one Dman in Houston who can at the very least stay on his skates and know what color jersey the Wild are wearing.

It really isn't asking alot is it?

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Problem with Kampfer is that he would be another puck moving defenceman and not really a guy who can play a physical game and is at the same time solid defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad