Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Heatley - Larsson - Granlund
PMB - Brodziak - Seto
Rupp/Mitchell - Konopka - Clutterbuck

WIN

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Brodin needs to be given the #1 PP point spot next to Suter. Gilbert needs to have a seat.

THEALLKNOWING*

Then you're going to have all the "5 lefties on the PP" people screaming and crying.

Since the Wild haven't scored a power play goal in four games, any combination of dexterity should be an option. Put Backstrom on the left point, Harding on the right, may work just as well.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Then you're going to have all the "5 lefties on the PP" people screaming and crying.

Have you not been watching. It isn't working. Maybe if there was more movement down low from our forwards crossing through the slot it would. But our only play is going down low to Parise who tries to set Heater up for a garbage goal. Koivu never curls at the circle to draw a defender to him then drop it off to another player. Our PP is far too stationary and predictable. We absolutley need a right handed forward in front if we are always going to run it on the side we do. Heatley isn't in a postion to get one timers from all the leftys, and when someone sneeks down the weak side for a quick onetimer they can't get it off quickly or accurately because they are left handed.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
According to Russo's tweets, Yeo is trying:

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley
Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Setoguchi/Granlund
Mitchell-Konopka-Setoguchu/Granlund

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi - Give Koivu two speedy players to forecheck and grab pucks.

Granlund-Brodziak-Heatley - Two offensive players can get Brodziak going. Granlund gets two big bodies.

Colye-Cullen-Bouchard - Looked good the other night.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The PP more than anything I think is Yeo's weakest point. Having two different handed shooters at the point makes sense except Yeo isn't running the same PP system as Lemaire (who had Zidlicky-Bergeron and Burns-Johnsson). Yeo's got one guy at the point with a guy at either half wall and two guys around the net.

Ideally, you'd have right hand shots on the left side of the ice and left hand shots on the right side of the ice, but we don't have many talented right hand shots. Well, unless Seto decides to show up and Coyle stays up.

You wouldn't think of it as three forwards and two points, two wall, two net, and a point player. Kind of goofy, but from that line of thinking, you'd have:

Left Wall - Left Net - Right Net - Right Wall // Point

Seto - Heatley - Parise - Koivu // Suter
Gilbert - Coyle - Granlund - Butch // Brodin

1st unit you have a RH shot on the wall so when Suter passes it off, he can one-time it. If Seto can shoot one timers...Heatley and Parise working around the net (Parise better with the puck so he and Koivu can work from the right boards)...Koivu at the right boards, Suter at the point to distribute.

2nd unit similar construction, I put Brodin at the point as I think his hockey IQ and puck movement is excellent...Gilbert at left wall (even though he's scored both goals from the right wall) gives the good RH shot, Coyle a RH big body around the net to screen and smack goals home, Granlund and Butch working at the right net and wall respectively.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Personally I think with the lack of production the Wild has gotten from its forwards outside of the top line they might as well spread their depth out across lines 2-4 and roll 4 lines all night. The only exception I would make to this is Konopka. His minutes should be sheltered.

Line 1: Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Line 2: PMB-Cullen-Coyle
Line 3: Granlund-Brodziak-Setoguichi
Line 4: Mitchell-Konopka-Clutterbuck

Line 1: Only line to have shown any offensive production. I do agree with the other posters who have mentioned Heatley's floating on this line, but it will be even more evident when he isn't playing with two Selke canidates. On top of that Parise-Koivu have been fantastic together and Heatley hasn't stopped getting chances he just hasn't been finishing the last few games.

Line 2: This was our most dangerous line against Phoenix. Cullen and Coyle work the cycle well and PMB just knows what to do with the puck. Coyle passed up some shooting opportunities in his first game in PHX, but that trend won't continue. Once he starts firing shots this line will be nasty.

Line 3: Granlund needs to be on the wing. That was obvious after his against PHX. Also despite their lack of production so far I think Granlund and Setoguichi have chemistry together. These two looked good playing with Konopka, a big center who could clear some space up the middle, do work in the corners, and behind the net. They will look even better with Brodz who can do all those things and is more skilled than Konopka. Hopefully together they can all spark their games.

Line 4: This line is pretty simple to figure out. They have a lot of speed and physicality. They'll score the odd goal here and there, but mainly just be hard to play against and wear out other teams on the cycle.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley

I think Coyle would be more useful on the 2nd line. Out of Seto/Bouchard/Granlund/Coyle (anyone except Heatley) Coyle would've been my last choice on the 1st line.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Cullen-Heatley

No Rupp, hm?

Not great looking lines, but with the way the Wild have played, especially Heatley, Seto, and Granlund, what can you do?

Wild need a second line center
Wild need more guys to shoot the puck
Wild need some pure scorers

Same old, same old.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
No Rupp, hm?

Not great looking lines, but with the way the Wild have played, especially Heatley, Seto, and Granlund, what can you do?

Wild need a second line center
Wild need more guys to shoot the puck
Wild need some pure scorers

Same old, same old.

Oh yeah good point. He only explicitly listed out the top three lines, so it's possible Rupp slots in for whichever of the doghouse players doesn't make the cut for the 3rd line. Can't imagine they'd scratch Mitchell or Konopka for Rupp though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad