Speculation: 2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I read on ESPN(sorry no link, it was about two weeks ago) Chicago may buy out Hossa next year. Would anyone have interest in him? I know he has a long contract(I want to say until he is 42) and get's paid 8Mil plus, but any interest in him?

Not for that price. The cap is going down and that is why they cutting costs no doubt .Be time to let some the kids play next year.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Isn't it frustrating though to not do anything in the summer with free agency when I *assume* it's easier to to upgrade then try to upgrade during the season? Prices are too high.. I mean, did anyone other then Chiarelli think Bourque was a capable third line NHL'er?

I don't think Chiarelli was counting on Bourque to be anything other than a possible competitor for the third line. I would guess that the nod would be going to Caron, but he was hurt by the time the season started and the job fell to Bourque.

And when you're talking about the summer, you have to remember that the Bruins still had Thomas's cap hit, the cap for the coming CBA was unknown (but undoubtedly lower), and they have several pending signings they have to make for next year. FAs don't want just big paychecks, but long-term deals.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
JJ can pay under the table:sarcasm:.

On a serious note I just hope they don't sit on any available money come deadline time trying to plug guys in...It is starting to seem Clode has taken on a Beichek type mentality...

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Am I the only one who thinks that when healthy, ie Kelly back, the 3rd line looks pretty good with Caron/Kelly/Pevs? Ideally you pick up a veteran, but I think Caron was plan A all along, so if there isn't a move to be made I don't think it would be catastrophic if Kelly made it back for the playoff and that was our 3rd line.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Am I the only one who thinks that when healthy, ie Kelly back, the 3rd line looks pretty good with Caron/Kelly/Pevs? Ideally you pick up a veteran, but I think Caron was plan A all along, so if there isn't a move to be made I don't think it would be catastrophic if Kelly made it back for the playoff and that was our 3rd line.

has the look of a good play-off line. Peverley and Kelly both elevate their game. You would like a Ryder type over a Caron type IMO, but it's not terrible. I have a lot of faith in those two guys come play-off time...both were good vs Washington.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I wonder if the Bruins are happier being in the 4th seed. A 1st round match against Toronto or Ottawa would be phenomenal.

I find rooting for matchups to be a bad practice, but in this case I agree.

I share the sentiment shared by a lot of posters, in that if NYR sneaks into the 8 spot and we are 1st in the East, I'd be pretty scared.

Unless we get to play Toronto in the first round, I hope they miss the playoffs haha. Yet at the same time, they are pretty much the most physical team in the league this year, maybe they could make it a series against us in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind NYI in the 1st round if they get 8th and we get 1st.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Yes and No; Kelly & Peverley I think will elevate their game, they have a track record, but I have little faith in Jordan Caron at this point. He hasn't brought much more than Chris Bourque did, but everyone seems to give him a pass because he's bigger. I'm interested to see what Soderberg would bring in that role; but otherwise I want them to use some cap space to improve that position before the deadline.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
has the look of a good play-off line. Peverley and Kelly both elevate their game. You would like a Ryder type over a Caron type IMO, but it's not terrible. I have a lot of faith in those two guys come play-off time...both were good vs Washington.

My hope if Kelly comes back would be this. Soderberg and a deadline acquisition on 3rd line with Peverly. Maybe Clowe. We have Soderberg for a couple of weeks to get a look at him. Put Kelly on 4th line with Paille and Campbell. Would be a very good defensive line. Still have Thornton around if Soderberg doesn't work out. Kelly back up to 3rd line.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I posted about getting Tomas Fleischmann from Florida the other day; but didn't seem to generate much interest. He seems like a really good fit to me, and had chemistry with Krejci. He has 18 points, and 8 power play points (which would lead our team).

Move Horton down, and have insurance next year if you can't re-sign him.

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Lucic-Krejci-Fleischmann
Kelly-Peverley-Horton

Not sure what Florida would want though; but I'd prefer that move to trading picks and/or prospects for a rental player.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Yes and No; Kelly & Peverley I think will elevate their game, they have a track record, but I have little faith in Jordan Caron at this point. He hasn't brought much more than Chris Bourque did, but everyone seems to give him a pass because he's bigger. I'm interested to see what Soderberg would bring in that role; but otherwise I want them to use some cap space to improve that position before the deadline.

he wins probably 80%+ of his battles whereas Bourque lost 80%+. In the playoffs that will be a gigantic difference even if they produce at the same rate. I will say this...if Soderberg comes over and wins that 3rd line spot, then I'm very ok with Caron as 13th forward.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I posted about getting Tomas Fleischmann from Florida the other day; but didn't seem to generate much interest. He seems like a really good fit to me, and had chemistry with Krejci. He has 18 points, and 8 power play points (which would lead our team).

Move Horton down, and have insurance next year if you can't re-sign him.

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Lucic-Krejci-Fleischmann
Kelly-Peverley-Horton

Not sure what Florida would want though; but I'd prefer that move to trading picks and/or prospects for a rental player.

the problem with Fleischman is that he's like a minus bajillion this year so you're kind of forced to play him in a top 6 role to get the most out of him and while I think Horton is good enough defensively to play on the 3rd line, I think you will probably hamper his offensive production a lot by doing so.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I know the focus every trade deadline is on acquiring older players or pending free agents from non-playoff teams, but why not consider swapping roster players with other playoff teams?

I see teams like St. Louis and San Jose in need of some roster shuffling. Both teams have a ton of players I'd be interested in...a good old-fashioned deal could possibly work for both teams. I can't imagine either GM would be close-minded considering how badly they both need to see some real playoff success asap.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I know the focus every trade deadline is on acquiring older players or pending free agents from non-playoff teams, but why not consider swapping roster players with other playoff teams?

I see teams like St. Louis and San Jose in need of some roster shuffling. Both teams have a ton of players I'd be interested in...a good old-fashioned deal could possibly work for both teams. I can't imagine either GM would be close-minded considering how badly they both need to see some real playoff success asap.

I proposed bringing Sobotka back, then moved on to Hendricks:laugh:....I'll try and find a third guy that everyone will like

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
the problem with Fleischman is that he's like a minus bajillion this year so you're kind of forced to play him in a top 6 role to get the most out of him and while I think Horton is good enough defensively to play on the 3rd line, I think you will probably hamper his offensive production a lot by doing so.

I don't know, so this isn't a fresh comment or anything; but is he that much of a minus because he's on such a terrible team?? Or is that a career trend of his??

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I proposed bringing Sobotka back, then moved on to Hendricks:laugh:....I'll try and find a third guy that everyone will like

I'm thinking bigger DKH.

I think both of those teams, particularly SJ, would be up for a shake-up. I'm thinking names like Vlasic, Clowe, either Pavelski or Couture, etc. And yeah, you consider anyone off our roster not named Chara, Rask, Bergeron or Hamilton. Everyone is going to have their names they wouldn't deal (seguin, lucic, marchand, etc.) but if you have another team anxious to change up their room, it's a good spot to strike. I'd keep an open mind for sure.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
I'm thinking bigger DKH.

I think both of those teams, particularly SJ, would be up for a shake-up. I'm thinking names like Vlasic, Clowe, either Pavelski or Couture, etc. And yeah, you consider anyone off our roster not named Chara, Rask, Bergeron or Hamilton. Everyone is going to have their names they wouldn't deal (seguin, lucic, marchand, etc.) but if you have another team anxious to change up their room, it's a good spot to strike. I'd keep an open mind for sure.

The problem with that is that you're making lateral moves... Surely neither team is going to bewilling to give up the "better" player, right? So say you deal a Looch for a Pavelski... You haven't really made your team any better, so-to-speak; just different.

The idea behind these playoff-push trades is to make your team better NOW by sacrificing some futures. I'll trade you a draft pick for the opportunity to make my current team better for this playoff run.

Trading a strong player for a strong player may end up making the whole marginally better, but the immediate return on investment isn't there

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
The trade market is going to be dead this year because of the shortened season. I think we'll end up with players like Whitney and Boyes

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm thinking bigger DKH.

seems to me that if San Jose were to blow it up, they'd get rid of guys like Boyle, Thornton, and Marleau before Vlasic, Pavelski, and Couture.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The problem with that is that you're making lateral moves... Surely neither team is going to bewilling to give up the "better" player, right? So say you deal a Looch for a Pavelski... You haven't really made your team any better, so-to-speak; just different.

The idea behind these playoff-push trades is to make your team better NOW by sacrificing some futures. I'll trade you a draft pick for the opportunity to make my current team better for this playoff run.

Trading a strong player for a strong player may end up making the whole marginally better, but the immediate return on investment isn't there

Well that depends entirely on the players in the swap.

If both GM's have relatively the same level of urgency and acumen, sure, you're likely to see a lateral move. But we don't need to look back too far to find GM's who were more desperate than their trading partners and made bad moves as a result. I'm simply pointing out that I'd expect those two GM's to be reasonably desperate at this stage.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Still thinking a legit offensive defense man who can skate with the puck and make nice 2 lines passes will transform this offense.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
seems to me that if San Jose were to blow it up, they'd get rid of guys like Boyle, Thornton, and Marleau before Vlasic, Pavelski, and Couture.

Ideally, sure. But they need a willing partner, and partners don't just take every big salary you want to clear.

For example, and I'm not suggesting anything specific, but let's say the Bruins made Lucic available and SJ desperately wanted a guy like that and felt he'd have a team-wide affect. Let's say PC is sick of getting inconsistent effort from his big guys and he wants to send a message. I bet we could come up with some interesting scenarios. They're playing Burnes up front these days due to their depth on D, which is obviously less than ideal. Wouldn't shock me if they'd consider moving a couple key pieces just to get Lucic considering they might have depth in areas that we don't, like d-men who can skate.

These kinds of deals don't happen a lot, but they used to. There's no reason they're impossible to make, and there's no reason PC needs to take the position that the current roster needs to remain.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Ideally, sure. But they need a willing partner, and partners don't just take every big salary you want to clear.

For example, and I'm not suggesting anything specific, but let's say the Bruins made Lucic available and SJ desperately wanted a guy like that and felt he'd have a team-wide affect. Let's say PC is sick of getting inconsistent effort from his big guys and he wants to send a message. I bet we could come up with some interesting scenarios. They're playing Burnes up front these days due to their depth on D, which is obviously less than ideal. Wouldn't shock me if they'd consider moving a couple key pieces just to get Lucic considering they might have depth in areas that we don't, like d-men who can skate.

These kinds of deals don't happen a lot, but they used to. There's no reason they're impossible to make, and there's no reason PC needs to take the position that the current roster needs to remain.

And that would be a problem. Certainly San Jose have extra dmen and looking for forwards, but so do we. Obviously I think we need another defenceman, but another good top 9 forward is our primary need at this time.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

Makes sense if they want to move on from Horton at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad