Speculation: 2013 League Rumors/Trades/Signings Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
We won't get past the 1st or 2nd round if the front office doesn't move, when the Eastern Conference should be a walk in the park with a few adjustments. As for the no splash to be made argument, Chiarelli's had a year to improve a team that got bounced out in the 1st round. Instead he managed to make the team worse than the previous year once again with his annual signing of a stiff and an over-the-hill senior citizen that a bottom-feeder didn't want.

So based on the logjam of possible playoff teams, what would put them over the top and what realistically would it cost in this market?

mich25

Jan 23, 2013
During our Cup run we had Recchi, Ryder, Thomas and Kaberle. I think those are the only players we have lost since...

The way I see it is that Seguin has replaced Recchi. Obviously a good replacement, he's still young but talented enough that now is his time to really step it up and shine. Ryder is gone, I think most agree it would have been awesome to get him back. We need to find someone who can provide offense like Ryder, if not someone even better. At this time I can't say Caron or this Swede we might get is the answer, because they have limited NHL experience and I think in the playoffs that will be an issue. I could be wrong but I wouldn't be comfortable expecting them to make a significant difference. Thomas is gone - Rask is his replacement. Do I expect a Thomas like performance from Rask in the playoffs - no, but I do think Rask will be solid like always.

So, with that begin said I would like to see the B's get more offensive help, and a little defense help as well. Of course it's always about the cost to acquire pieces but IMO I feel like now is the time to go for it again. The cost to acquire good players at trade deadlines won't be something that ever goes away.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
The cap space is all well and good, but it takes at least two teams to make a trade. Chiarelli is going to get crucified if he doesn't make a major move, but what if there is no big splash to be made? What if the asking price for an Iginla is two firsts and a prospect, or a first and two legit prospects?

What if you trade Spooner and a first and get bounced in the ECQF.

If this is your thought process then why ever make a trade?

Obviously there is a risk, but there's also not a reward without a risk. There's also a risk that spooner busts or doesn't live up to top 6 potential.

Do you wanna waste prime years of our players knowing you could have made the team better? The EC is prime for the taking right now with teams like Ottawa, buffalo, New York, Philly, Tampa, Washington all underperforming/injured. The only real competition this year is gunna be Montreal and Pitt. Take advantage of that a go get a guy that could put you over the top. It's unbelievable how the EC is lining up for the bruins this season.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Any chance they keep Chara and Seids apart this year with Hamilton in the mix?

I suppose but I think you get more out of both Chara and Seidenberg when they're together, and depending on a rookie to play top-four minutes in the playoffs is risky.

I would think now is the ideal time to TRY to sign him if you're the Islanders, so it doesn't surprise me they are. But of course, it also makes sense to try now so you know whether he's a guy to move before the deadline.

So, I'm not sure that news is all that surprising is it?

I think Dom is mentioning it because he believes something is imminent.

The cap space is all well and good, but it takes at least two teams to make a trade. Chiarelli is going to get crucified if he doesn't make a major move, but what if there is no big splash to be made? What if the asking price for an Iginla is two firsts and a prospect, or a first and two legit prospects?

What if you trade Spooner and a first and get bounced in the ECQF.

I don't know... At the end of deadline day there will have been deals made that could have helped the Bruins at a cost you could stomach. It happens every year, even with some of the blockbusters.

Ryan Whitney

Yep, about a month ago I said I could see Whitney being on their radar. If Streit's off the table then they may as well shop in the bargain bin because I don't know that any of the remaining "availables" could fill the #3 hole. Whitney is a low risk/moderate reward option who could balance your pairs and be re-signed if he works out.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I dread the panic around these parts when they don't land the big name, sexy pick like an Iginla.

"OMG Chia had all this cap space and pick up spare parts! He and Clode are too conservative!"

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Am I the only one who thinks that when healthy, ie Kelly back, the 3rd line looks pretty good with Caron/Kelly/Pevs? Ideally you pick up a veteran, but I think Caron was plan A all along, so if there isn't a move to be made I don't think it would be catastrophic if Kelly made it back for the playoff and that was our 3rd line.

It does look good and will look even better if Soderberg is added.

Soderberg - Kelly - Peverly

Three centers who can also play the wing and move up the line-up if necessary.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I suppose but I think you get more out of both Chara and Seidenberg when they're together, and depending on a rookie to play top-four minutes in the playoffs is risk

Yep, about a month ago I said I could see Whitney being on their radar. If Streit's off the table then they may as well shop in the bargain bin because I don't know that any of the remaining "availables" could fill the #3 hole. Whitney is a low risk/moderate reward option who could balance your pairs and be re-signed if he works out.

Ryan Whitney is a likely candidate to add, either in the rotation or as a depth defenseman. He is an UFA after this season so he carries no cap liability for next year, he shouldn't cost a fortune to acquire and he is a PMD with a LH shot who could help on the power play.

As a bonus he is playing well lately. The Bruins get to see if he fits in well with the team and, if he works out, he becomes an option to replace Ference for next season.

If Whitney costs only picks and prospects the rotation could be:

Chara - Seidenberg
Ference - Boychuk
Whitney - Hamilton

Johnson - McQuaid

I think Whitney makes a lot more sense than the Kaberle acquisition.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Ryan Whitney is a likely candidate to add, either in the rotation or as a depth defenseman. He is an UFA after this season so he carries no cap liability for next year, he shouldn't cost a fortune to acquire and he is a PMD with a LH shot.

As a bonus he is playing well lately. The Bruins get to see if he fits in well with the team and, if he works out, he becomes an option to replace Ference for next season.

I think Whitney makes a lot more sense than the Kaberle acquisition.

Chia loves this guy, I say he will be here with the old home town discount. He's a good Bruin

saskbruin44*

Being out West and watching a few Oiler games,Ryan Whitney is not the same player as 2 years ago.He has lost a few steps,putting it politely.A good 7th Dman,depth aquisition.

saskbruin44*

Why trade Timmy purely for cap space if you aren't going to use that cap space?

Depends what the trade market is, and what's available.Too many teams are still in the playoff hunt right now fwiw.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Depends what the trade market is, and what's available.Too many teams are still in the playoff hunt right now fwiw.

That's exactly what's going on right now. Nobody has thrown in the towel yet.

A trade just to make a trade under these conditions would just lead to getting hosed by significant over payment.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I dread the panic around these parts when they don't land the big name, sexy pick like an Iginla.

"OMG Chia had all this cap space and pick up spare parts! He and Clode are too conservative!"

Back in 2010 March 3rd we were eating downstairs and one of the girls who works for the Bruins came over and aksed the girls (my daugther, I believe Aly and another one or two if they wanted to meet Neely and of course they jumped)...they went into the room off of Legends and she came back and said to me and my buddy who belongs to Legends and lets me slum off him- if we wanted to come in, she told me they had scallops and bacon so I was naturally in,,,,well I'm standing there and Cam walks in and he looks kinda uptight and I'm thinking what the hell is this all about anyways

turns out it was a quick impromptu season ticket holder gathering because as the girl told me after, the Bruins fielded many irate Bruins season ticket holders calling because they did nothing but get Dennis Seidenberg that day and invited them down for this meeting to hear Cam give his explanatiion we only got Dennis Stinking Seidenberg.

It was weird, the game was the same day as the trade deadline I believe so when we got to the game it was over- no Hossa, no Drury, no Heatley and the fans were apparently pissed

well they had not yet won a Cup so I guess it was an issue- when the questions started flying I soon realized this was a ***** out at Cam and the Bruins

Neely was gracious and bit his tongue quite a bit- afterwards the girls got pictures and autographs and I told Cam 'hey Kaitlin invited me in, I'm just here for the scallops in bacon- I'm just glad you didnt trade Sobotka or I'd have to deal with this one pissing and moaning and told my kid to turn around'....Cam had a good laugh and a few comments but it was amazing

worst part was I never got the scallops and bacon and was so pissed I bought a box at Market Basket next day

all worked out in the end but there you go- Bruins fans want action

ironically I wanted Drury- how freaking bad would that have been:help:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't make all of us happy.

I hd a meltdown. The kind where everything I said came true and I was spot on.

it was like the Sox getting Gagne in 2007 but it worked out so you can not alter anything- it had its purpose somehow-

those were the greatest 2 month ride in Bruins history and I would not change even the room temperature in the locker room in a redo for tempting fate (remember what Doc Brown said in back to the Future about altering anything, and he meant anything- I'd hate to see my Stanley Cup picture start fading awaaaaaaaaay...:cry:)

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Why trade Timmy purely for cap space if you aren't going to use that cap space?

Did they do it for cap space and to save the team some money?

No doubt they have great flexibility as they approach April 3rd's trade deadline; but this is still a business and every $ saved helps the team's bottom line.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Did they do it for cap space and to save the team some money?

No doubt they have great flexibility as they approach April 3rd's trade deadline; but this is still a business and every $ saved helps the team's bottom line.

Tim wasn't costing any salary, just cap space.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
it was like the Sox getting Gagne in 2007 but it worked out so you can not alter anything- it had its purpose somehow-

those were the greatest 2 month ride in Bruins history and I would not change even the room temperature in the locker room in a redo for tempting fate (remember what Doc Brown said in back to the Future about altering anything, and he meant anything- I'd hate to see my Stanley Cup picture start fading awaaaaaaaaay...:cry:)

Oh, totally agree.

Just wanted to brag that my much attacked stance was spot on and I am a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad