Has Stamkos played his last game as a member of the Lightning?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No contract, pending free agent. He’s had a heck of a run, but do we think this might have been it and he moves in this offseason?
How much is he willing to take? Many contending teams font have th hr space to pay him 5M+. Thodr that fo. Only have 24/25. If he drops more teams come in.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If he takes the Geno contract, with the cap going up they can keep him while still having the cap space to round out the rest of the roster.

So they're not forced to move on from him. It probably comes down to what the alternate options look like.
Hagel's new contract essentially eats all the increase in cap from 2023 to 2024.

If Stamkos takes a deal at less than market value - not sure if this creates enough space for the Bolts to upgrade the rest of the roster as needed.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
People are saying that the Lightning are all but ready to toss him to the curb - where do you get this feeling from? Has he or their GM made any remarks to that effect?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Hagel's new contract essentially eats all the increase in cap from 2023 to 2024.

If Stamkos takes a deal at less than market value - not sure if this creates enough space for the Bolts to upgrade the rest of the roster as needed.

Hedman needs a new contract too.
One year left.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I would absolutely take him if he signed for like 3 yrs at 7 mill. Pavs type of contract.

He would 100% fix the PP

ya i dont see why they wont.
Tampa Bay Lightning Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If you look the changes for next year - the Bolts locked up Hagel long term but his cap hit increased by $5M which "consumes" the increase in cap for next year. Stamkos is the only significant contract this is rolling off without a major trade. The other guys who were rolling off all need to be replaced, and they were making about the league minimum so there isn't any relief coming there.

IMO - the Bolts need to signficantly increase the depth of the team, and not sure if signing SS at let's say 3 year and $5.5M AAV creates enough cap space to upgrade the roster.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I wonder if he signs in Pittsburgh if Crosby resigns with the Pens on a short term team to finish out his career. They have the cap space even on a short 2 year deal. Crosby with Stamkos would be something to watch.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Stamkos is awesome representative for Lightning
  • Stamkos has had ups & downs during career.
  • But Stamkos downs are better than most players ups though.
  • This fan, Lightning nation, etc. couldn't have asked for better representative last 15 yrs.
  • Stamkos is "Captain" and should stay that way.
  • Way Stamkos reinvented his game after server injury was movie worthy.
  • Stamkos does more than PP goals >> Production -vs- Value is not a bad contract!
  • Lightning will not find better available value on market.
  • Stamkos takes care of his body well and game isn't dropping off cliff.
  • Plus, there's costly-fat on Lightning's roster that deserves chopping block.
  • Lightning would be foolish to not sign Stamkos for a fair value.
  • If Stamkos gets offered more elsewhere, who can blame Stamkos for walking?
  • After GM disrespected him, put Stamkos in crappy/vulnerable position all yr, and has watched GM treat others players/friends wrong since McD trade.
This Lightning house loves Stamkos and believes he should stay a Lightning.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Well it depends what kind of upgrades we're talking about. If there's something juicy available that requires a lot of cap space, then decisions have to be made.

If there's nothing groundbreaking out there, I think they keep him. It's not worth losing your captain who is very good with his words in the room from what I've heard and still a productive player too for anything less in my mind.

Looking at UFA market, all the best wingers minus Bertuzzi are over their 30's, and they can't afford to create a hole in the top 6, so :dunno:

Reactions: Hoek

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Tampa Bay Lightning Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If you look the changes for next year - the Bolts locked up Hagel long term but his cap hit increased by $5M which "consumes" the increase in cap for next year. Stamkos is the only significant contract this is rolling off without a major trade. The other guys who were rolling off all need to be replaced, and they were making about the league minimum so there isn't any relief coming there.

IMO - the Bolts need to signficantly increase the depth of the team, and not sure if signing SS at let's say 3 year and $5.5M AAV creates enough cap space to upgrade the roster.
I think the target to offload is Anthony Cirelli. His $6.25M as a 3C is costing us way too much space. Trade him, and somehow find a way to offload Sheary and you've got $8.25M to work with, along with whatever Stamkos would make less than his current contract.

The core members of this team are 34, 33, 30, 29, 28, 25, 25. By the time Cirelli is better than Stamkos, the door is all the way shut. Trade him, sign Stamkos, retool the depth guys, and try to give these guys 1 or 2 more runs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would love to have Stamkos in San Jose if we land Celebrini. I would be willing to pretty much give him any contract he wants since that's probably what it would take to get him to seriously consider the Sharks at their current state even with a #1 pick like Celebrini.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Would love to have Stamkos in San Jose if we land Celebrini. I would be willing to pretty much give him any contract he wants since that's probably what it would take to get him to seriously consider the Sharks at their current state even with a #1 pick like Celebrini.
Signing with Sharks might be a good idea, since he could get flipped to a contender with salary retainment. He could play for a contender while getting paid more money than a contender could afford.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think the target to offload is Anthony Cirelli. His $6.25M as a 3C is costing us way too much space. Trade him, and somehow find a way to offload Sheary and you've got $8.25M to work with, along with whatever Stamkos would make less than his current contract.

The core members of this team are 34, 33, 30, 29, 28, 25, 25. By the time Cirelli is better than Stamkos, the door is all the way shut. Trade him, sign Stamkos, retool the depth guys, and try to give these guys 1 or 2 more runs.
Agree that would be 2 good moves if the Bolts could somehow move Cirelli and Sheary without taking any salary back. Just IMO, but Brisebois would be a hero if he could make that happen, especially with Cirelli who has 7 years left on his deal.

It should be noted that moving Sheary opens another hole on the roster, so even going dumpster diving that takes $1M of his Sheary's $2M cap hit.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Are people forgetting that he did this 8 years ago then signed like 2 days before free agency??

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
People are saying that the Lightning are all but ready to toss him to the curb - where do you get this feeling from? Has he or their GM made any remarks to that effect?
The remarks were quite the opposite to that effect today.

...has accomplished so much already, and has been accomplishing so much for so long, for him to play arguably the best two months of hockey of his career because it started around the trade deadline and he carried it into that series against the Panthers, for him to do that at the time when our team needed it most was incredible. You were all able to to see how he led on the ice. What is hard to see is how he also elevated his leadership game off the ice. Last summer, for various reasons, a lot of leadership left our team and nobody in our group raised their leadership game more than Steven Stamkos did to fill that void and that is harder for me even because I am not in the locker room, I am not there to see but that’s the case. We have a saying in our organization. I think it was coined by our CEO Steve Griggs. I am going to give him credit regardless. We strive for excellence with humility. Steven Stamkos has always represented excellence with humility and never more so than these past few months. The aim is for him to continue to play on a contending Tampa Bay Lightning team going forward.""I briefly met with Stammer when we landed after Game 5. I spoke with his agent yesterday very preliminary to see everyone's schedules and see how quickly we can get to this. It is obviously a priority to see if we can get this done.

"Q: "Is there any doubt in your mind that you can resign him?""I am very hopeful."

...that type of thing. Kuch is making $9.5. That is probably grossly underpaid in terms of what guys are getting now. Vasy. Pointer with 40 or 50 goals every year. You look at Matthews. What did he sign for? $13.5 or something? Heddy is making under $8 million. That is grossly underpaid if you look at what he has done. That is what everyone has done here and that is why we have had the success and that is the way it has been for this organization. I think that that in itself is a testament to management in how they want to build a team and, first and foremost, the players for wanting to do that and accept that and allow the management to go out there and build a roster to compete for the Stanley Cup. I think that's just always been the way it's been here"

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015

Anyone thinking Cirelli is a 3C don't know hockey. Finished top 5 in selke 3 times in his first 5 yrs in the NHL. Won 2 Stanley Cups carrying the 2C...his value isn't in the numbers, ask any coach/GM and player, they will tell you his value.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Despite his frustration in not getting re-signed last offseason, Stamkos made it clear again today that he wants to stay. Cooper and Brisebois in their comments made it clear they want him to stay. I would be really surprised if they don't get it done. Also, I'd expect Hedman will sign an extension this Summer as well.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This sticker should have buyer beware warning signs all over the place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad