Salary Cap: 2013-14 Payroll, Contracts, Free Agents

Primetimey*

I think you are right. Capgeek lists his 10-11 season as being an entry level slide but he played in both the AHL and ECHL that season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think you are right. Capgeek lists his 10-11 season as being an entry level slide but he played in both the AHL and ECHL that season.

I was actually wrong. Cap Geek pointed out a small phrase in the CBA I was unaware of. This did however lead me to believe Oleksiak lost a year on his ELC last season despite being eligible for one more slide.

That red text in Article 9.1(d)(i) is very important. First, you should know Article 9.1(d)(ii) is worded nearly the same but only refers to 18 year old players. Tristan King signed his contract after an impressive Traverse tournament. Therefore, in the eyes of the NHL he signed his SPC at the age of 18. This allowed his contract to slide one year. The following year, at the age of 19 years old in the eyes of the NHL, he was a year removed from signing his contract. Therefore although he was 19 years old, “according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31,” he was NOT, “in the year in which he first signs an SPC.” This little fact, signing his contract in 2009 and turning 20 years old in 2010 is the reason King was under contract with the Dallas Stars for 5 years.

Do you think I'm right or wrong about Oleksiak? If I'm correct, do you care that he lost an ELC year?

I added a poll in the story because I didn't want to create a new thread on HF so I could have one here.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I went with NO by the way. It probably would be hypocritical for me to say it's an issue since I never cared about blowing Smith's year.

More than anything I was just surprised about how this part of the CBA is applied. TBH ... wouldn't be all that shocked if Oleksiak ends up with Cowen-like 2nd contract.

Honestly, Dillon's contract will have a big impact on Oleksiak probably. Dillon will have 1.5 seasons under his belt (thanks to the lockout), but he was clearly Dallas' top D at ES. Dallas' weak D the last few years will mean Dillon's agent can easily argue he's one of Dallas' best. I think even if he gets a bridge it will likely be more than Subban and Kulikov ... maybe just slightly though.

Thought about starting a Dillon next contract thread, but I figured we should wait a bit into the season to see how Ruff uses him in order to make the most educated guess. He'll bank ... likely on more than a bridge ... if he can steal some PP time from someone.

StarsFan74

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
I went with NO by the way. It probably would be hypocritical for me to say it's an issue since I never cared about blowing Smith's year.

More than anything I was just surprised about how this part of the CBA is applied. TBH ... wouldn't be all that shocked if Oleksiak ends up with Cowen-like 2nd contract.

Honestly, Dillon's contract will have a big impact on Oleksiak probably. Dillon will have 1.5 seasons under his belt (thanks to the lockout), but he was clearly Dallas' top D at ES. Dallas' weak D the last few years will mean Dillon's agent can easily argue he's one of Dallas' best. I think even if he gets a bridge it will likely be more than Subban and Kulikov ... maybe just slightly though.

Thought about starting a Dillon next contract thread, but I figured we should wait a bit into the season to see how Ruff uses him in order to make the most educated guess. He'll bank ... likely on more than a bridge ... if he can steal some PP time from someone.

Not likely. Dillon does have the leverage of being the one-eyed in the kingdom of the blind, but he still has to improve his game (hence, one-eyed), and therefore I don't see him getting >$2M AAV on a bridge deal.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yikes ....

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL govs likely to get (14-15) cap projection from league when they meet early next week in California. Sounds like it may be around $70M.

That would give Dallas about $20 million in cap space with 17 signed players. Biggest new potential contracts would be going to Dillon and Eakin.

MetalGodAOD*

If anything numbers like that are why we had a second lockout. Owners knew revenues were about to be off the charts, wanted player salaries to be more consistent (thus the birth of the 8 mil player cap hits like Perry/Giroux/Lundy). Also wanted a bigger piece of the pie they knew was coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If it goes to $70 this summer ... what the hell is going to happen when the Rogers money comes???

That massive deal doesn't start paying until next season so it's not going to impact this cap number. The following number should see a huge number when they factor in that money.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Was talking about this with some folks. Dallas has 30 contracts right now in 2014-15:

Contracts
1. Lehtonen, Kari
2. Seguin, Tyler
3. Horcoff, Shawn
4. Benn, Jamie
5. Gonchar, Sergei
6. Goligoski, Alex
7. Cole, Erik
8. Daley, Trevor
9. Peverley, Rich
10. Nichushkin, Valeri
11. Rome, Aaron
12. Oleksiak, Jamie
13. Ellis, Dan
14. Chiasson, Alex
15. Benn, Jordie
16. Connauton, Kevin
17. Morin, Travis
18. Faksa, Radek
19. Campbell, Jack
20. Peters, Taylor
21. Ritchie, Brett
22. Bystrom, Ludvig
23. Nemeth, Patrik
24. Klingberg, John
25. Molin, Emil
26. Jokipakka, Jyrki
27. Stransky, Matej
28. Vance, Troy
29. McKenzie, Curtis
30. Lagace, Maxime

Restricted Free Agents
31. Labrie, Hubert
32. King, Tristan
33. Eakin, Cody
34. Glennie, Scott
35. Dillon, Brenden
36. Button, Ryan
37. Smith, Austin
38. Roussel, Antoine
39. Sceviour, Colton - Potential Group 6 UFA
40. Gaunce, Cameron - Potential Group 6 UFA
41. Jeffrey, Dustin

Unrestricted Free Agents
42. Whitney, Ray
43. Fiddler, Vern
44. Garbutt, Ryan
45. Robidas, Stephane
46. Nilstorp, Christopher
47. Petersen, Toby
48. Wathier, Francis
49. Mueller, Chris

Draft picks that we lose rights if they remain unsigned by June 1st
50. Winther, Mike
51. Lindell, Esa
52. Smith, Gemel
53. Troock, Brandon
54. Kiviaho, Henri
55. Sinitsyn, Dmitri
56. Payne, Cody

NCAA players that could go Pro
57. Guptill, Alex
58. Shore, Devin

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My guess giving them 44 contracts going into free agency:

Restricted Free Agents
31. Labrie, Hubert
32. King, Tristan

33. Eakin, Cody
34. Glennie, Scott
35. Dillon, Brenden
36. Button, Ryan
37. Smith, Austin

38. Roussel, Antoine
39. Sceviour, Colton - Potential Group 6 UFA
40. Gaunce, Cameron - Potential Group 6 UFA

41. Jeffrey, Dustin

Unrestricted Free Agents
42. Whitney, Ray
43. Fiddler, Vern
44. Garbutt, Ryan
45. Robidas, Stephane
46. Nilstorp, Christopher
47. Petersen, Toby
48. Wathier, Francis

49. Mueller, Chris

Draft picks that we lose rights if they remain unsigned by June 1st
50. Winther, Mike
51. Lindell, Esa
52. Smith, Gemel
53. Troock, Brandon
54. Kiviaho, Henri
55. Sinitsyn, Dmitri
56. Payne, Cody

NCAA players that could go Pro
57. Guptill, Alex
58. Shore, Devin - Back to School

If Gaunce and Sceviour are Group 6, which seems likely, I think they walk. My guess is Dallas would prefer keeping them, and they will re-sign them if possible .... I just don't know if it's going to be possible.

I wasn't 100% on Garbutt or Mueller. Garbutt could command too much money, and they might already have younger, cheaper options in guys like McKenzie or even Sceviour if he'll sign. The other issue is Roussel will get a raise, and I can't see them paying a premium for two bottom 6 wingers ... not that Roussel will get a huge contract or anything. In fact, he'll likely get less money than Garbutt because he is a RFA. I gave Mueller another contract because Nill gave him $300K in the AHL this year. They clearly wanted him down in Austin, and he's done a good job there. He and Morin are the top 2 centers next season, and Faksa and Peters center the Bottom 6.

All of those draft picks might not get a contract, but I think you could make reasonable arguments for all of them. I'd say Winther was at risk to not get one, but Holland raves about that guy. Troock is probably at risk as well.

Last edited:

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
You think Smith won't be re-signed? I didn't expect him to become much of anything, but I hoped he could defy the odds.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You think Smith won't be re-signed? I didn't expect him to become much of anything, but I hoped he could defy the odds.

He's 25 years old with 2 goals in in 38 AHL games over about 1.5 seasons, and he's back in the ECHL.

The Dallas novelty is neat, but that doesn't deserve a contract. I'm sure he could easily sign with Texas on an AHL contract though if he'd like.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
How much rope are we giving Glennie again? :help:

It's not rope ... he's legitimately playing well. Even if he's just the next Sceviour, he's a big part of what's going well in Texas right now. You need those bodies.

Personally ... I believe he'll get a chance pretty soon. The guy is skating better than I've seen since his WHL days, and I've never seen him as committed to the forecheck as he's been late last year and this season. Willie Desjardins is a god send ... not just for Glennie either. He's a big reason Chiasson took off as well, and I think Reilly Smith is tearing it up right now in Boston .. one obviously because he's talented ... but also because Willie helped his game.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Son of a ....

I did this last night when we were talking about Dallas picks that need signed. Can't believe I did it again when I was typing this up later that night.

I left off Cody Payne. He's not a Dallas pick, but because he was drafted in the 2012 draft and then acquired by Dallas via trade, he must be signed by June 1st or Dallas loses his rights.

I'm just going to sneak him in up above.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
It's not rope ... he's legitimately playing well. Even if he's just the next Sceviour, he's a big part of what's going well in Texas right now. You need those bodies.

Personally ... I believe he'll get a chance pretty soon. The guy is skating better than I've seen since his WHL days, and I've never seen him as committed to the forecheck as he's been late last year and this season. Willie Desjardins is a god send ... not just for Glennie either. He's a big reason Chiasson took off as well, and I think Reilly Smith is tearing it up right now in Boston .. one obviously because he's talented ... but also because Willie helped his game.

Glennie has been playing great.

You forgot Roussell in that list of Coach Willie wonders. I hated that Frenchman at first because he made Ott look like an angel then after a couple of months he changed it all around.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Glennie has been playing great.

You forgot Roussell in that list of Coach Willie wonders. I hated that Frenchman at first because he made Ott look like an angel then after a couple of months he changed it all around.

Yep. Roussel was awful in October. Totally different play by the time January rolled around.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If it goes to $70 this summer ... what the hell is going to happen when the Rogers money comes???

That massive deal doesn't start paying until next season so it's not going to impact this cap number. The following number should see a huge number when they factor in that money.

Cap at 100 million by the end of the decade. And it ensures we come close to another lockout next time around.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Cap at 100 million by the end of the decade. And it ensures we come close to another lockout next time around.

This deal was already built into expectations, Gary promised the owners $400m a year. There will be another lockout, but because they keep making flawed CBAs not because of this deal or some big time expansion/relocation fees.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Until we get a bit closer ... I'm going to keep bringing up cap stuff for next year here.

Today's announced projection on upper limit is $71 million.

This came up recently, but the lower limit calculation has changed. To get the upper limit and lower limit in the past, you just added or subtracted $8 million from the mid point.

Now, it's 15% above or below. However, the number can be less than $8 or greater than $14 million.

Mirtle believes the $71 milllion cap will be the lower limit closer to $54 than $55 million. You can no longer use performance bonuses to reach the lower limit ... I'll just go ahead and call that the Islander/Wang rule.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Told the salary cap projection for 2014-2015 is $71.1 million.

So if I'm reading the rule right, the midpoint = $71.1/1.15 or $61.8.

That should make the lower limit = $61.8 x .85 or $52.5.

Hmm .... trust Mirtle over me. I would say. Anyone see what's wrong with those calculations?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Well according to this the math is correct:

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl

Cap for next season projected to be around $71 million, making the floor around $52 million.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Making the floor shouldn't be a concern, yes? Those days are behind us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad