Salary Cap: 2013-14 Payroll, Contracts, Free Agents

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Personally I think you want your backup to play a similar style to your starter to lessen the adjustments the D have to make on a game to game basis, but apparently that's not a priority for Nill.

I'm a big believer in this too. You can see how the D react different to Thomas playing pucks.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Unless Heika is blowing smoke .... Dallas is a team with an internal budget. Rich Peverley will count against the cap next season if he is unable to play because of his heart issue, but more than likely, he will not count against the budget.

Most NHL contracts are fully insured. If a player is injured and unable to play, insurance typically picks up the cost of the contract. I want to say this is true 100% of the time, but I don't honestly know that with certainty.

Bottom line, Peverley will count against the cap next year regardless of him playing or not. There is zero concern about the cap though as well. LTIR would allow Dallas to exceed the cap with no penalty. The hitch is you have to be cap compliant even with the injured player on Day 1 of the season. That's a simple task though. Dallas isn't going to spend to the limit of the cap regardless. Dallas would just need to make a paperwork transaction showing that Valeri Nichushkin was assigned to the AHL (his cap hit is over $2 million), and then call him back as soon as Peverley was officially on LTIR. Nuke wouldn't miss a game, and his cap hit should be more than enough to help Dallas should they need it.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Good news guys! Eric Godard's buyout is off the books at the end of the year! Did you remember we had Godard on the Stars because I sure as heck didn't haha

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Val Nichushkin will earn a $212,500 bonus for finishing Top 3 in +/-. Stupid, stupid stat. Can't believe you can earn a bonus for it, but I'm very happy Nuke gets the bonus.

Nuke pockets $1.1375 this season.

My guess next year is he earns all A bonuses and walks away with $1.775.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Val Nichushkin will earn a $212,500 bonus for finishing Top 3 in +/-. Stupid, stupid stat. Can't believe you can earn a bonus for it, but I'm very happy Nuke gets the bonus.

Nuke pockets $1.1375 this season.

My guess next year is he earns all A bonuses and walks away with $1.775.

G is that really a B bonus? That's insane.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
B bonuses, in addition to being part of the ELC, are actually paid out to all NHLers by the league as a reward. Even 3rd place in the MVP gets some cash from the league.

So knowing this ... Jamie Benn is clearly hurt or nursing a nagging injury. He's currently in a 4 way tie for 8th in league scoring, and he's tied for 9th in scoring.

8th gets $80K and 9th gets $70K. That's nothing to sneeze at so it's something significant enough to risk getting pushed out of the Top 10 in those categories and losing close to $150K. My guess is everything remains the same ... they split the money between the tied parties.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If nothing changes, Seguin will earn $260K for finishing 4th in points, 5th in goals, and 8th in PPG.

He could earn more money for a Top 3 finish in Bing voting or Top 5 in Hart voting. According to Cap Geek, there's also a 2nd payout for finishing Top 5 in the Richard. I say 2nd, because he's already getting paid for his goals in the Top 10 categories.

aloonda*

If nothing changes, Seguin will earn $260K for finishing 4th in points, 5th in goals, and 8th in PPG.

He could earn more money for a Top 3 finish in Bing voting or Top 5 in Hart voting. According to Cap Geek, there's also a 2nd payout for finishing Top 5 in the Richard. I say 2nd, because he's already getting paid for his goals in the Top 10 categories.

interesting, who pays the bonus? the league?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
interesting, who pays the bonus? the league?

Um, the team...

didn't understand if these were contract based bonuses, or league based....

:(

No it's the league. Standard Player Contracts cannot have bonuses from the team. The only exception is an ELC contract or a one year contract for a player over 35 years old.

The league pays bonuses for league awards and finishing in the Top 10 in goals, assists, points, and points per games.

It gets confusing because they are called B bonuses, but an ELC can have B bonuses as well ...and they are pretty similar. In the ELC, to get the B bonus, you have to win the award. In the league, you still get money depending on where you place. B bonuses earned from an ELC are paid by the team. When Jonathan Towes won the Conn Smyth in Chicago's first Cup, the league paid him $250,000, but his ELC paid him $1.3 million (This is an estimate. He had $2.15 million in bonuses that season, and my guess is he had $850K in A bonuses.) for the same award.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Troock gives Dallas 33 contracts.

Dallas has 32 contracts right now in 2014-15:

Contracts
1. Seguin, Tyler
2. Horcoff, Shawn
3. Benn, Jamie
4. Cole, Erik
5. Peverley, Rich
6. Nichushkin, Valeri
7. Garbutt, Ryan
8. Chiasson, Alex
9. Sceviour, Colton

10. Gonchar, Sergei
11. Goligoski, Alex
12. Daley, Trevor
13. Rome, Aaron
14. Benn, Jordie
15. Connauton, Kevin

16. Lehtonen, Kari

17. Oleksiak, Jamie
18. Faksa, Radek
19. Campbell, Jack
20. Peters, Taylor
21. Ritchie, Brett
22. Bystrom, Ludvig
23. Nemeth, Patrik
24. Klingberg, John
25. Molin, Emil
26. Jokipakka, Jyrki
27. Stransky, Matej
28. Vance, Troy
29. McKenzie, Curtis
30. Lagace, Maxime
31. Morin, Travis
32. Guptill, Alex

Restricted Free Agents
33. Labrie, Hubert
34. King, Tristan
35. Eakin, Cody
36. Glennie, Scott
37. Dillon, Brenden
38. Button, Ryan
39. Smith, Austin
40. Roussel, Antoine
41. Gaunce, Cameron - Potential Group 6 UFA
42. Jeffrey, Dustin

Unrestricted Free Agents
43. Whitney, Ray
44. Fiddler, Vern
45. Nilstorp, Christopher
46. Petersen, Toby
47. Wathier, Francis
48. Mueller, Chris
49. Fortunus, Maxime
50. Thomas, Tim

Draft picks that we lose rights if they remain unsigned by June 1st
51. Winther, Mike
52. Lindell, Esa
53. Smith, Gemel
54. Troock, Brandon
55. Kiviaho, Henri
56. Sinitsyn, Dmitri
57. Payne, Cody

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
So do we want Ott back in a 3rd/4th line utility role? A line of Horcoff, Ott and Peverley (if he can play) seems incredibily not fun to play against for 12 minutes or so a game.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do not want Ott back. We already have Roussel and Garbutt to take dumb penalties.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do not want Ott back. We already have Roussel and Garbutt to take dumb penalties.

You nailed the most important part. He's worse than them in that regard ... and Garbutt is pretty awful in that department.

Also important is the fact he'll be looking for likely the largest contract of his career. Will he get it .... who knows? Better not happen in Dallas though. Vancouver has always been rumored to be interested in him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also ... Desrosiers give Dallas 34 contracts, but his contract won't count against the 50 limit.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
No thanks on Ott.
Though, a Roussel - Ott - Garbutt line would be worth admission price alone.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Whenever they could all manage to stay out of the box at the same time anyways.
Or just really stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad