Salary Cap: 2013-14 Payroll, Contracts, Free Agents

aloonda*

I think GM Joe's direction is cloudy at times, but the most common theme is getting bigger and tougher to play against.

More often than not, those are the forwards they target. Plus, this is just an educated guess, Boston was shopping the little Russian center hard. I had significant doubts Dallas would be interested, and I bet anything GM Joe actually prefers MacDermid and Payne over KoKo.

I think he's going for the Boston/LA mold. Mix in a few highly skilled guys, but have a ton of grit and size.

Based on the D they target in the draft and trades though, he seems to be trying to get an even mix of skilled, excellent skates and bigger, meaner bruisers.

if that is the case
I am in favor
after that kings ass kicking the other night
and the wild stomping

those two teams were fun to watch

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
not much in july I would be interested in.

Boston /LA mold... good enough for me.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Let's say Ritchie plays the 9 remaining AHL games + 20 or so games on a playoff run. Based on his type of game, he could easily be fast tracked. That's why I wonder how they could bring Jagr back. I'd love him back, but it seems Fraser will require waivers next year. Plus, Smith and Chiasson could both be knocking down the door.

Chiasson-Benn-Eriksson
Whitney-?-Fraser
Smith-Eakin-Cole
Nystrom-Fiddler-Roussel
Garbutt

I could see Ritchie pushing out Smith or Chiasson for sure though. Just because he adds a dimension GM Joe obviously loves.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The main reason I made this list, and I almost forgot to point this out, is to illustrate a major logjam at D in the NHL since I don't believe Dallas would have the stones to put Connauton or Gaunce on waivers. Just an FYI, Jordie Benn only has 2 years of waiver exemption so he will require waivers next season. That said, I don't believe they'd have any issues waiving him. It's doubtful someone would snatch him up.

Next year's NHL D though project to be:

Alex Goligoski
Trevor Daley
Stephane Robidas
Aaron Rome
Philip Larsen
Brenden Dillon
Kevin Connauton
Cameron Gaunce

Someone's got to go since I don't see them carrying 8.

I was talking to txomisc about this last night, and I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that Dallas isn't going to do anything with the above scenario other than trade Philip Larsen. I assume the move will be something similar to the Vincour trade. Rather than a D though they'd try and find a younger Bottom 6 banger.

Mainly, I think the decision to separate Dillon from Robidas was an eye towards next season. They likely believe Robidas is an ideal mentor for young defenders, and I could see them penciling in Kevin Connauton as his partner. Dillon and Goligoski get 12 games to get acclimated and see if they have chemistry. Then Rome and Gaunce duke it out, and likely split time, with Daley.

Dillon-Goligoski
Connauton-Robidas
Gaunce/Rome-Daley
Gaunce/Rome

Nemeth-Oleksiak
Morrow-Wrenn
Jokipakka-Benn/Fortunus/Klingberg
Baldwin

ECHL: Vance and Labrie

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
You think Oleksiak is going to stay in CP? Figure after an actual offseason he'd be up in Dallas unless he suddenly regressed in the next few months.

I don't know enough about Connauton or Gaunce to make judgements on them yet. Morrow I see staying down at least half the season.

Maybe they'll ship/buy out Rome

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
You think Oleksiak is going to stay in CP? Figure after an actual offseason he'd be up in Dallas unless he suddenly regressed in the next few months.

I don't know enough about Connauton or Gaunce to make judgements on them yet. Morrow I see staying down at least half the season.

Maybe they'll ship/buy out Rome

I think Oleksiak is an NHLer next season, while Gaunce stays here in Austin to try and regain his game.

KConn is what he is, and he can do his thing in the NHL I think. Just have to put him with somebody capable of defending enough for the two of them. (Dillon or REGEHR plz!)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think they'd risk Connauton or Gaunce on waivers next season so yeah I think someone who may not deserve it could end up back in Austin like Oleksiak. If he's just too good though, they can make another trade to adjust.

It would be really silly to lose two brand new assets on waivers though. Gaunce would have a better chance sneaking through though than Connauton.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I don't think they'd risk Connauton or Gaunce on waivers next season so yeah I think someone who may not deserve it could end up back in Austin like Oleksiak. If he's just too good though, they can make another trade to adjust.

What's the deal with waivers now?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What's the deal with waivers now?

From everything I've seen, nothing has changed. 3 years after your first contract, you require waivers. Both players were signed to contracts 3 years ago. They're exempt no, and they should not be exempt next year.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Hmmm, no more re-entry waivers. So they can keep them in the AHL and call them up with no issues but sending them down will cause issues.

There's gotta be some trade movement planned for the offseason. I'm going to guess a combination of older and prospects. At this point I wouldn't count out even the new guys as trade pieces.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I think they will dump Larsen but i really hope one of robidas and daley is gone. Id clearly prefer Robidas but they do seem to see him as some sort of great helper of young players which is why I actually expect Robidas to sign an extension at some point.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hmmm, no more re-entry waivers. So they can keep them in the AHL and call them up with no issues but sending them down will cause issues.

There's gotta be some trade movement planned for the offseason. I'm going to guess a combination of older and prospects. At this point I wouldn't count out even the new guys as trade pieces.

Dallas can honestly afford to be conservative. It's not the end of the world if Oleksiak, Morrow, and Nemeth spend another full season in the AHL.

That said, you're faced with the same problem in 17 months when Patrik Nemeth and John Klingberg will probably require waivers.

Some movement is definitely coming, I'm just reluctant to keep speculating they'll finally move on from Robidas. I'll just assume it won't happen for now so I can be pleasantly surprised when it finally does.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I like that attitude with Robidas.

I get the feeling right now Dallas is using a shotgun tactic on finding their #1 defenseman.

Suffice to say this is both a nice problem to have, and a terrible one as you never know what will happen with not so sure fire bets.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Throw **** at the the wall until something sticks.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
I figure they'll keep Robidas around till at least the trade deadline next year. I believe next season is the last on his current contract and I'm guessing the Stars will want him there next season to mentor some more of the young D-men coming up. Honestly, I'm OK with that - it's not as if his being here (or not) will make us into a playoff team next year so I suppose it doesn't hurt anything. I also respect the guy a lot, he has been a warrior for Dallas and I believe most of us wouldn't hate on him if he hadn't been placed into a role he isn't capable of - if he had been playing 2nd or 3rd pairing minutes behind better defenders, we probably wouldn't have been asking for his head these past few years.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Sooo here's my lineup prediction for next year:
I'm assuming we draft Sean Monahan or Alex Barkov

Loui-Benn-Chiasson
Whitney-Monahan/Barkov-Ritchie
R. Smith - Eakin- Cole
Roussel-Nystrom-Fiddler
(MacDermid)

Dillon-Goligoski
Oleksiak-Daley
Rome-Connauton
(I dont know whats going on with Robidas)

Kari
UFA Old Goalie (Think Tall Bald Alex Auld like)

That puts us in the running for Aaron Ekblad, who's arguably going to be just as highly touted as Seth Jones.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Sooo here's my lineup prediction for next year:
I'm assuming we draft Sean Monahan or Alex Barkov

Loui-Benn-Chiasson
Whitney-Monahan/Barkov-Ritchie
R. Smith - Eakin- Cole
Roussel-Nystrom-Fiddler
(MacDermid)

Dillon-Goligoski
Oleksiak-Daley
Rome-Connauton
(I dont know whats going on with Robidas)

Kari
UFA Old Goalie (Think Tall Bald Alex Auld like)

That puts us in the running for Aaron Ekblad, who's arguably going to be just as highly touted as Seth Jones.

Ekblad isn't anywhere close to Jones.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Jones wasn't projected as the #1 pick the year before his draft. It was going to be MacKinnon or Shinkaruk.

He was always #1 or #2... Shinkaruk was never anywhere close to #1.

2014 as a whole is a couple steps down from 2013.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Curtis McKenzie's contract brings Dallas' total contracts to 36 of which 34 count towards the 50 contract limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad