Salary Cap: 2013-14 Payroll, Contracts, Free Agents

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
There's a perfectly reasonable reason. He'd could be a low cost extra to sit in the press box. Over an 82 game season you aren't going to to carry 12 like Dallas is doing now. They consistently carried an extra up to the Olympic break.

An ideal 7th D or 13th forward is someone who can survive if you need to play him, but you don't care if they sit most of the year. Unless Glennie gets that spot because they are afraid he won't clear waivers, Jeffrey is as good as any to be a limited role player. Hence, maybe.

Texas being close is great, but little nicks and things that keep a guy short term you aren't going to constantly drag guys up and down 15 - 20 times a year. It's disruptive to Texas, and it's not easy on the player getting yo-yoed back and forth. The way Dallas played it this year was perfect IMO. They had the extra guy most of the year for the little stuff, but they immediately react to more significant injuries by pulling up a better option for the longer term stuff.

The other part of maybe is they do a rotation between some of the younger guys like they did on defense. That would be my preference especially if they end up not testing Glennie on waivers, but I'm not so certain they are 100% out on Jeffrey. I'd rather have him as a non rotation 13th than a guy like say Mueller who is better suited for helping Texas the majority of the time.

Even if the player is a random signing, I imagine they have a guy for that role so it's exactly the same thing with Thomas as a back up goalie. The only reason I put him as a maybe is they're going to have to replace that role. It could be him ... it could be someone else ... what matters is he gets replaced for sure obviously because you have to have two. 13th dedicated isn't required, but I'd be surprised if they don't have one. Almost no team goes with 12 healthy forwards only for an entire season at a given time. They frequently have an extra healthy body.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Jeffrey won't be brought back. He was acquired for nothing to be a warm body while a few guys were out. He will be replaced next season by another warm body.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Jeffrey won't be brought back. He was acquired for nothing to be a warm body while a few guys were out. He will be replaced next season by another warm body.

He made a good point though. Why bother signing a UFA to be a warm body when you have Jeffrey that works well enough for that role?

haf

Mar 3, 2008
He made a good point though. Why bother signing a UFA to be a warm body when you have Jeffrey that works well enough for that role?

I think you are always looking for that diamond in the rough who might turn a corner late and surprise. Garbutt? roussel? these things happen. Jeffrey just doesn't look like that kid. Might as well find another guy with some stand out trait and see if he can put it together.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I just don't see Nill being the type to go with what is comfortable. Jeffrey is one of the most useless non-goons in the NHL. Nill wouldn't ever waste a roster spot on a guy who brings nothing when he could hand that same spot to a kid with something to prove, a guy with wheels, a guy with size, a guy who is really good at faceoffs, etc. Jeffrey is a guy who isn't terrible at anything but also tops out as well below average at everything. There will better options out there for cheap.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
You guys are missing the point. If the player is a kid and has an exceptional trait like wheels, faceoffs, etc then you wouldn't want him to sit in the press box. However if the guy is just a warm body, like Jeffrey, there wouldn't be a problem with sitting him for long stretches of games.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I guess I read what you're saying as an acknowledgement that Jeffrey isn't good enough to deserve or take ice time away from anyone else. If so, why would you ever want him on the roster?

You absolutely want your pressbox guys to be players good enough to deserve playing time. It's that kind of depth and pressure that keeps the guys on the back end of the roster trying their best to keep their jobs, which they do by playing better than the guy in the press box.

And since injuries always happen, you want the guy who comes down from the pressbox to have more on his resume than the ability to tie his skates.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
I'd rather have barch than Jeffrey. That's how bad he sucks. He brings nothing to the table.
Ok, let's not be crazy here. There's no one I'd pick Barch over, I'd rather put a reindeer on stilts on the ice than Barch. Jeffrey is mostly just a bit useless, whereas Barch actively makes everyone around him worse. He's hockey kryptonite...

Last edited:

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'd rather have a pylon taped to a roomba than Barch.

Jeffrey? Jeffrey is just a really neutral player.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Jeffrey? Jeffrey is just a really neutral player.

That right there is the very very crux of the issue.
Jeffrey isn't good and he isn't bad. He's just...there. So much so that you'll forget he's even on the ice.

Even down in Cedar Park he's so neutral that when he does make a move I don't think it's Jeffrey, my first thoughts are it's either Glennie or Mueller. It's not til I see the number I'm like "Oh....he's out there...ok"

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
That right there is the very very crux of the issue.
Jeffrey isn't good and he isn't bad. He's just...there. So much so that you'll forget he's even on the ice.

Even down in Cedar Park he's so neutral that when he does make a move I don't think it's Jeffrey, my first thoughts are it's either Glennie or Mueller. It's not til I see the number I'm like "Oh....he's out there...ok"

I would rather have a guy you never even see than Barch.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Honestly I feel the same way. Especially for a 13th forward. Let him sit in the press box, especially on long road trips that way you're not constantly calling up and down guys from Texas.

I may also be a little bit biased.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Honestly I feel the same way. Especially for a 13th forward. Let him sit in the press box, especially on long road trips that way you're not constantly calling up and down guys from Texas.

I may also be a little bit biased.
I also hope the Stars find a better end of the roster guy to be a part of the team next year. Jeffrey isn't it. They can do better.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Jesus this spun out of control. I couldn't care less if it's Jeffrey. Like I said, I left him as a maybe because IMO they will carry 13, and the chance it's him is less than 0%.

If it's Glennie ... great. Jeffrey is fine too. Trevor Lewis is a guy that probably deserves a Top 12 spot and will expect on in free agency, but he'd be great on a cheaper contract.

Just like I said with Tim Thomas, if you don't like the name, fine ... be quiet. You still know they are going to use a contract on a backup goalie, and the only thing I was looking at his the number of contracts we might have considering they should easily be close to 50 with the number of good prospects they could potentially sign.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
So getting back on track. I probably give Thomas a 50/50 chance of being back. Looking at the list of free agent goalies next year the ones that really stick out to me are Peters and Montoya.

Jeffery I see as an insurance signing because he'll be an RFA and thus easier to resign and cheaper than looking for an old UFA.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
So getting back on track. I probably give Thomas a 50/50 chance of being back. Looking at the list of free agent goalies next year the ones that really stick out to me are Peters and Montoya.

Jeffery I see as an insurance signing because he'll be an RFA and thus easier to resign and cheaper than looking for an old UFA.

Wouldn't mind taking a chance on Montoya. He's been great for the Jets. Not sure I want to take the risk of Thomas regressing more.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Personally I think you want your backup to play a similar style to your starter to lessen the adjustments the D have to make on a game to game basis, but apparently that's not a priority for Nill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad