Salary Cap: 2013-14 Payroll, Contracts, Free Agents

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Making the floor shouldn't be a concern, yes? Those days are behind us.

Shouldnt be, we are at 51.2 with 16 players under contract next season. Thats not including new contracts for Dillon and Eakin.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Making the floor shouldn't be a concern, yes? Those days are behind us.

Doesn't make the number any less important. If anything, as the cap goes up, especially next summer when the new TV money actually impacts the cap, cap floor teams are going to struggle to reach that number.

It's a pretty important, and interesting, topic to me. It will impact the spending habits of many teams which could have an impact on trades and free agency.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nothing earth shattering, but Austin Smith re-signed with Assat in the Liiga today. Now all that is left is to see if Dallas qualifies him to retain his rights or let him go completely.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Nothing earth shattering, but Austin Smith re-signed with Assat in the Liiga today. Now all that is left is to see if Dallas qualifies him to retain his rights or let him go completely.

It would be a waste to qualify him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Shouldnt be, we are at 51.2 with 16 players under contract next season. Thats not including new contracts for Dillon and Eakin.
It is interesting. If there is the big veteran sell off everyone wants, the Stars could find themselves doing what they did a couple of seasons ago to overpay for Jagr and Whitney simply to hit the cap floor.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
It is interesting. If there is the big veteran sell off everyone wants, the Stars could find themselves doing what they did a couple of seasons ago to overpay for Jagr and Whitney simply to hit the cap floor.

Maybe. But you have to think that if they do move some of the non-UFA vets(Cole, Horcoff, Gonchar, Daley, and Goligoski), they will surely be taking back some money in return, even if its just retaining part o ftheir salary.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
We still have two top six forward positions to fill. If we can move Daley for a more expensive top 6 forward, and replace Daley with a more expensive D-man, and move Rome, we'll probably be okay.

I can't wait to see the reaction if Dallas has a big free agent acquisition this year and his name is Matt Niskanen.

Amazeballs.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
We still have two top six forward positions to fill. If we can move Daley for a more expensive top 6 forward, and replace Daley with a more expensive D-man, and move Rome, we'll probably be okay.

Amazeballs.

Whats crazy is that there are 4 guys on the current roster who played in Dallas with Matt Niskanen.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
My main issue with Niskanen is we need a better UFA defenseman than him.

That trade is just some tragic joke to me now, or maybe karmic payback for Zubov. It was the coup de grace for GMJN -- trading two players for one and getting the worst of the bunch.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
My main issue with Niskanen is we need a better UFA defenseman than him.

That trade is just some tragic joke to me now, or maybe karmic payback for Zubov. It was the coup de grace for GMJN -- trading two players for one and getting the worst of the bunch.

What we need and what might exist are unfortunately very different things.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If Niskanen could come in here and play the same way he has been in Pittsburgh I'd be happy to bring him back. I really wonder if he would or if he would regress to the level of his teammates. If Pittsburgh "fixed" him then all the better. If he's supported by really good players and looks better than he is that's another.

We do need at least another defenseman better than him though.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
If Niskanen could come in here and play the same way he has been in Pittsburgh I'd be happy to bring him back. I really wonder if he would or if he would regress to the level of his teammates. If Pittsburgh "fixed" him then all the better. If he's supported by really good players and looks better than he is that's another.

We do need at least another defenseman better than him though.

Meszaros. :laugh:

Brand New Stars

Sure. Then I'd just pray that the suck isn't contagious here.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Sure. Then I'd just pray that the suck isn't contagious here.

Yeah... I'd just be worried about the mental suck that seems to keep floating around here.

If anyone wants to laugh at what I suppose would be a decent roster for next year...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Jamie Benn ($5.250m) / Tyler Seguin ($5.750m) / Valeri Nichushkin ($0.925m)
Erik Cole ($4.500m) / Sam Gagner ($4.800m) / Alex Chiasson ($0.867m)
Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Cody Eakin ($2.605m) / Scott Glennie ($0.851m)
Curtis McKenzie ($0.645m) / Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Antoine Roussel ($1.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brenden Dillon ($2.850m) / Matt Niskanen ($4.000m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Alex Goligoski ($4.600m)
Sergei Gonchar ($5.000m) / Kevin Connauton ($0.683m)
Jordie Benn ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Kari Lehtonen ($5.900m)
Dan Ellis ($0.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,575,500; BONUSES: $1,288,333
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $6,524,500

notes: Daley for Gagner, Rome for a pick. Niskanen for 4x4, Mezsaros for 4x3 (maybe 4.5), Dillon and Eakin on 2 year bridges.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Can't imagine expecting a much better roster than that. Not optimistic they sign Sceviour?

I think that falls on Sceviour. He may not want to sign if they aren't going to guarantee him a one way. If Glennie gets injured again for 4+ weeks then I would say Sceviour will get re-signed and slotted in there. Or perhaps Ritchie will blow everyone's minds and win that roster spot.

We may have Glennie get another year in the AHL to prove himself and vie for Peverley's roster spot the year after.

Cole, Horcoff, Gonchar, Peverley and Ellis are all UFAs after next season. Those guys out, Guptill, Peters, Glennie/Ritchie, Oleksiak/Nemeth/Riverdeck, Campbell in.
Goligoski and (in this scenario) Gagner out the year after. Klingberg/Bystrom/LT's Mancrush and Faksa/Glennie in maybe.

It's just one way of going about it.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Big no to Nisky, and that roster is brutal. That defense is actually worse than what they started this year with.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Big no to Nisky, and that roster is brutal. That defense is actually worse than what they started this year with.

I don't know if it's worse but I can't say it's better. If that's the best Nill can do they're seriously better off just trying to trade for some combo of Despres, Weiroch, Rundblad and pray the kids get better.

Meszaros trying to skate and play against the West. The mental hurdle every shift for Niskanen not to suck and Goligoski, Gonchar and Jordie all still here. I'd still love the Stars but man that'd make me pray for McDavid and a total house cleaning on the back end come the TDL, again while making me actively root against my team which is a brutal thing to do.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If we're going to play fantasy:

Chiasson to Pittsburgh for Despres.

Whitney +4th to Phoenix for Rundblad

Robidas to Anaheim for a pick/prospect.

Goligoski and Jokipakka to NYI for Grabner and Brock Nelson.

Daley to Ottawa for Wiercioch and 2nd in 2015.

Garbutt for a pick. Fiddler for a pick.

Sign Mark Fayne to a 4 year 3.75 million dollar contract.

Buyout Aaron Rome. Re-sign Sceviour.

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Eakin-Peverley-Cole
Grabner-Nelson-Sceviour
Roussel-Horcoff-MacKenzie/Glennie

Dillon-Despres
Connauton-Fayne
Rundblad-Wiercioch
Gonchar

Rotating the 2 kids with Gonchar till they prove they're good enough to stand or till Gonchar proves he's too poor to put out there. Jordie as a sweetener that some team must desperately have.

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Are you guys prepared for another batch of stopgap defenders? Because that's probably what's gonna happen until Oleksiak and friends are ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad