2011 Draft Combine Thread

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Phillips with the best VO2 so far is impressive seeing as he's fresh off of the Mem Cup win in which he played injured and isn't even lifting weights today.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They have very strict parameters to do these reps. This comes up every year and almost without fail, derails the thread. Only the ones that meet the criteria for the measurement are counted. Plenty of these guys do a lot more but they aren't counted because they do not meet the form.

Found an old post that described the strength test and how some of them (namely the bench press) are done against a metronome, which would add a degree of difficulty.

* Grip Strength: test of hand grip muscle strength. conducted on both hands.
* Upper Body Push and Pull Strength: The Strength Metre measures the upper body actions of
push and pull. Three trials of each action are performed with a rest interval between each action. It is important that a maximal effort be exerted during each action without jerking.
o Push: In a standing position, with the knees slightly bent and the feet shoulder width apart, maximally push both handles away from the body.
o Pull: In a standing position, with the knees slightly bent and the feet shoulder width apart, maximally pull both handles straight back towards your body.
* Bench Press Repetitions: test of chest muscle strength and endurance. The bench press test performed with 150 lbs in time with the metronome at a rate of 25 per minute.
* Curl-ups: test of core muscle strength and endurance. record maximum number at a rate of 25 curl-ups per minute.
* Push-ups: test of chest muscle strength and endurance. record maximum number at a rate of 25 push-ups per minute.
* Seated Medicine Ball Throw: test of upper-body (arm) power. Maximum distance ball can be thrown from seated position.
* Standing Long Jump: test of leg power. Record to the nearest centimeter the distance from the jumping line the heel mark in the best of three trials.
* Vertical Jump: Tests leg power, conducted using the Vertec Jump measurement apparatus and Jump Timing Mat. Leg power is calculated.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thx for posting that vid. Would be awesome to see the Avs grab both Swedes.

dnlfrncs

Mar 9, 2011
The anaerobic test -- the one with the tester on the stationary bike, with the tube in his mouth and someone holding his nose while he sprints like a manic.

You dont have the tube in your mouth and nose plugged for the Wingate, its basically you riding the bike as fast as you can, they drop weight/add resistance and start the 30 second timer, from then you have to spin as fast as you can for the complete 30 seconds. The only measurements being taken are how much power the athlete is generating with their legs and how quickly the power generated drops off (fatigue). The best results are high peak power generated and the least amount of drop off at the 30 second mark.

The VO2 max is where they pinch your nose and measure your oxygen content through the hose, which measures your aerobic capacity.

His Beardliness*

I didn't know they were friends, with the Avs tendency to grab guys with connection to their other prospects I wonder if they are aiming for both these guys in the draft.

Pretty funny that Landeskog got a modelling offer :laugh:

Both are raised in Djurgårdens junior teams, so it makes sense.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Are there any endurance tests or is it all strength and power?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Does one draft a kid three years away to help a power play struggling now?

Like I said, just what I heard from a source.

Sound logic, I don't think that Murphy will be on the board at that point, personally I don't think Beaulieu is going to before him, Hamilton might(should IMO).

I think Huberdeau is the one rising from the MemCup, not Beaulieu, he was on the ice for a few too many goals against.(In my opinion of course)

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Just because they've scouted him extensively doesn't mean they like him.

Agreed.
There's a handful of scouts from different NHL teams who are at every Moosehead game or pretty much every game.

In the five years I've been in the press box, that has yet to directly coincide with players being drafted from Halifax to those teams.

Some of it just depends on simple things, like where the scout might live.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Just because they've scouted him extensively doesn't mean they like him.

You don't scout someone extensively unless you like them. Bruins scouts intensified later in the season, like how Ottawa scouts intensified at Rangers games later in the season as well.

It doesn't really make any sense why Boston wouldn't be interested in him.

Is he an organizational need? Yes. Is he a current need? Yes. Would he be a need 3 years from now? Most likely. Is he BPA at 9? Definitely.

Only thing I can think of is if they question his upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad