2011 Draft Combine Thread

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
They have very strick parameters to do these reps. This comes up every year and almost without fail, derails the thread. Only the ones that meet the criteria for the measurement are counted. Plenty of these guys do a lot more but they aren't counted because they do not meet the form.

Yeah you have to keep strict form when doing it. It's not as easy as bringing it down and pumping it up fast like most people do (which isn't terrible, its just not correct).

From the RNH video, it seemed like it had to be touch the chest to full extension to count. That's not as easy as it seems. Most people seem to think 6 was good for RNH.

Keep in mind this isn't the NHL where guys bench press 225 for 20 plus reps. The thing with those guys is they specifically train upper body strength to be as high as possible. Hockey players train everything and being able to do only 6 of 150 isn't a big deal. The muscles used for that won't get used in the same way on the ice. I would imagine scouts pay attention more to the standing long/high jump and the VO2 max tests the most.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Oh boy, my favorite part of every single HF combine thread ever.

"Player X only did 3 (physical testing exercise here)?! I could do 5,200 of those in my sleep with one arm/leg/eye!"

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Those lifts are a lot harder for tall guys.

Do they test squat and deadlift at the combine? I'd assume those lifts would separate them from other kids their age.

Most lifting type exercises are. The length of the arms and legs makes the logistics of it more difficult.

i don't believe they do. The combine is a weird one for the NHL. Other than the VO2 max test, the others tests don't really fit perfectly to the strength needed for playing in the NHL. Same with the squat and dead lift.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
rhn did 5 or 6 struggling bench press reps.

Seriously only a kid and won't play in the nhl next year

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Here are some BMac tweets:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Huberdeau had 2 on the bench press. Which means? Not much. Obviously needs to get stronger but kid is worn down too. Just finished playing.

Little Rocco Grimaldi of U.S. U-18 program has best vertical leap so far. Huge teammate Tyler Biggs next and McNeill 3rd.

Saint John's Zack Phillips has best VO2 thus far (66.9). RNH is currently 5th best (58.3)

Grimaldi leads the way on pushups (39), followed again by teammate Biggs (34). RNH is currently 7th with 28

Most scouts agree: Gabriel Landeskog and Adam Larsson are the two prospects most physically capable of playing in NHL right now.

There is always one kid at the Combine who looks like a man amongst boys and this year it's Kitchener captain Landeskog.

Landeskog preparing for the most difficult test - the Wingate. 30 seconds of pure torture. http://yfrog.com/h0ugtywj

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I'm in relatively good shape but watching the wingate makes my body hurt.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah you have to keep strict form when doing it. It's not as easy as bringing it down and pumping it up fast like most people do (which isn't terrible, its just not correct).

From the RNH video, it seemed like it had to be touch the chest to full extension to count. That's not as easy as it seems. Most people seem to think 6 was good for RNH.

Keep in mind this isn't the NHL where guys bench press 225 for 20 plus reps. The thing with those guys is they specifically train upper body strength to be as high as possible. Hockey players train everything and being able to do only 6 of 150 isn't a big deal. The muscles used for that won't get used in the same way on the ice. I would imagine scouts pay attention more to the standing long/high jump and the VO2 max tests the most.

The VO2 is also important to see mental toughness depending on how the player guts it out. And there is also that these guys are 18 and nowhere near completely physically mature. Just because someone has had the opportunity to train and blitzes the testing doesn't guarantee they're going to be a better player at 22 or 23. Hell, there's a line of thought that someone who is well-regarded pick who isn't a combine monster could actually project out even better once they get onto a professional nutrition and exercise program.

Agreed all around on the other tests -- the commentary on the testing has derailed several of the Combine threads over the years and it is always the same: the people who don't understand the form being measured and counted moreso than the finale.

His Beardliness*

Comparing Larsson and Landeskog at the Wingate.

Landy bringing it hard. Pure force.

Fluke

Sep 27, 2009
The Wingate is hell. You feel weird, almost dizzy or light headed, for like 20 minutes after those 30 seconds.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Hell, there's a line of thought that someone who is well-regarded pick who isn't a combine monster could actually project out even better once they get onto a professional nutrition and exercise program.

I can't see why this wouldn't be the case, short of someone being a freaky specimen. If Landeskog walks into the combine and demolishes the competition as an eighteen year old, how is that more promising than a guy like RNH who, relative to competition, managed to put on a clinic on the ice this season, but is light years away from being in his peak physical condition? Landeskog has this maturity edge over a lot of his competition and he didn't exactly set the OHL on fire - what happens to him in a league where he's a kid?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The VO2 is also important to see mental toughness depending on how the player guts it out. And there is also that these guys are 18 and nowhere near completely physically mature. Just because someone has had the opportunity to train and blitzes the testing doesn't guarantee they're going to be a better player at 22 or 23. Hell, there's a line of thought that someone who is well-regarded pick who isn't a combine monster could actually project out even better once they get onto a professional nutrition and exercise program.

Agreed all around on the other tests -- the commentary on the testing has derailed several of the Combine threads over the years and it is always the same: the people who don't understand the form being measured and counted moreso than the finale.

The whole combine has a ton of different factors influencing it. One player who is physically mature right now and just outdoes everyone else, might not get any stronger. Someone who does poorly or ok might not be physically mature and could easily crush their previous results given the chance 3 years down the road. So many different factors right. And the whole aspect (as you mentioned pro nutrition and exercise training) of not fully committing to a full time professional training regime, something that can vastly change things for a player.

I honestly think most of the combine is just to see where a player is. Mentally (the act of getting through grueling tests and the questions they are asked) and physically (how they are progressing, where they are in contrast to how well they do). BMac made a point about being able to tell how some players will commit. How some might just blow it off or how others will take it seriously. I think its a baseline test for future purposes.

At most it might scare a team off a player if they don't like his questions (attitude etc) and the way he has lazily prepared for the testing. More commonly I would imagine it would be a way for a team to pick between player A and B where both are so similar that said team just needs a way to distinguish them.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The Wingate is hell. You feel weird, almost dizzy or light headed, for like 20 minutes after those 30 seconds.

its for 30 seconds, not 5 minutes. Its not easy but its not hell

If you have a decent built body you will be fine

Most of these kids problems are they don't bother hitting the gym on a consistent manner. They try to save all their energy trying to make it through a season and neglect building their muscles

Outside of the gym, also going for runs, sprints are crucial to build stamina

Disappointed that hurbedeau did so poorly with the bench press test. He needs to pack in as much muscles between now and trainning camp. There is really no need for him to go back to juniors

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I did a test similar to the Wingate and VO2. Wear a mask similar to the V02, start out at 50 watts of resistance and ramp up 10 watts every 5 seconds. Can't go below 60 revolutions a minute (it stops then) and see how high you can go. The thing is exhausting.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
So Ambroz seems like he will continue his downward spiral. 3rd round?

- As Kirk Leudeke has pointed out, it sounds like Seth Ambrosz has had a rough time with interviews. There's already been a lot of negative surrounding him; from his poor skating to talk of bad work ethic, and now he's come off 'unimpressive'. Wouldn't be surprised to see him fall even further

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bria...sical-Training-Notes--Tidbits-Again/153/36183

On the downside, one guy we're hearing trending negative things about is Omaha (USHL) winger Seth Ambroz. We hate to kick a kid when he's down, but the rumor is that he's been "extremely unimpressive" (not our words) in several of the sitdowns. If teams were worried about Ambroz's commitment and intensity before, we can't imagine anything has changed. We know he has myriad physical gifts and a surplus of natural talent, but it will all be for naught if Ambroz doesn't engage in some reputation management.

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/06/more-combine-notes.html

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

If team's aren't sold on his character, they yeah he could plummet. It would be interesting to know what went wrong. My guess is he probably reacted negatively to what he would consider unfounded criticism of his game. He's kind of polarizing at this point.

Last edited:

Man Hole Inspector*

Pat Koudys is ripping up the combine today.. I think he has a good chance of going in the 3/4 round now

Fluke

Sep 27, 2009
its for 30 seconds, not 5 minutes. Its not easy but its not hell

Ok maybe "hell" was a strong word. I'm just saying it sucks, no matter how well you do. As anyone who has done it would tell you, it's the longest 30 seconds of your life. That said, the VO2 is not fun either.

Are you saying it's not as taxing as a 5 minute test or am I misunderstanding? You physically can't keep up a level of effort that intense and draining for longer than 30 seconds, if that. It's using a different energy system all together compared to a, for example, 5 minute test.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
rhn did 5 or 6 struggling bench press reps.

Seriously only a kid and won't play in the nhl next year

If you weren't at the combine I don't think you should make assumptions on the players fitness level. For all we know he could have just done upper strength exersise before that and he was worn down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->