2011 Draft Combine Thread

Oct 15, 2008
These things need to be taken with a grain of salt. Some players havent played for one or two months and have probably trained hard for this event. Others have been playing up until a week ago and probably have trained very little if at all.

Its not an even playing field.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
13 was the record for bench this year? really? maybe because I grew up playing football, but that seems incredibly weak, even if they are 17-18.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
13 was the record for bench this year? really? maybe because I grew up playing football, but that seems incredibly weak, even if they are 17-18.

I remember reading in Gare Joyce's book that they are very strict on how the reps are done, which may have some bearing on the numbers.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I remember reading in Gare Joyce's book that they are very strict on how the reps are done, which may have some bearing on the numbers.

Ah could have something to do with it. Maybe because I'm used to football, where players rep 225, but again they're also 4 years older and chest power is much more important in football.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Ah could have something to do with it. Maybe because I'm used to football, where players rep 225, but again they're also 4 years older and chest power is much more important in football.

I think that's exactly it. Some years there are some freaks in terms of the bench in the NHL combine but upper body strength is more impressive in hockey when the player has a solid balance of pure strength and the ability to explode, as well as endurance. Football combines focus heavily on it for different reasons.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I just think for the size and strength factor plus the leadership he seems to have I really really want Edmonton to take Landeskog first overall. I think they can make a trade with their later picks to get one of the top 3 defensemen in the draft. They will have to add a roster player to probably but I think if they can move either Landeskog or Hall to center it could be a lot better long term I think.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

The variable with the bench press at the NHL combine is that players are supposed to do it in rhythm with a metronome at a rate of 25 reps/minute. So it's not like the traditional drill where a guy starts doing reps and stops when he gets tired. If a guy doesn't do it correctly, it won't get counted towards their total. I can only imagine guys overcorrecting when they get out of sync.

Ie, the NFL combine each player can go at whatever pace he wants, and will start off quick but slow down:

NHL combine it has to be at a constant rate:

NHL said:
C. Bench Press Repetitions (150 lb): Conducted using a standard padded bench with 150 lb of free
weights (including the barbell) in time with the metronome.
a. Repeated 150 lb bench presses are performed at a rate of 25 per minute in time with the metronome
(set the metronome at 50 so that each click signals a movement either up or down).
b. The subject lies on his back on the bench and grips the barbell with thumbs approximately shoulder
width apart. The buttocks must remain on the bench with the feet on the floor. The starting position
of the bar is touching the chest at approximately the axillary line and the bar is pushed to full
extension of the arms.
c. Record the number of consecutive repetitions completed before the player falls behind the cadence.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
There isn't enough scouts to scout every player extensively. There comes a time where you have to make a decision if a players worth your time or not and focus on players that the team thinks are worth their time.

I can't see Boston heavily scouting Kitchener (Which they did do) but not have any interest in the player that they had a chance to get on that team. (Murphy)

Or Boston has a scout that lives in Kitchener... Why travel when most OHL teams come to him? He can limit his travelling until the Rangers are on the road too.

Also, seeing the majority of games played with a constant opponent could be useful. Sort of removes a bias of scouting players who always have a different opposition.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Or Boston has a scout that lives in Kitchener... Why travel when most OHL teams come to him? He can limit his travelling until the Rangers are on the road too.

Also, seeing the majority of games played with a constant opponent could be useful. Sort of removes a bias of scouting players who always have a different opposition.

How do you know it's just a scout who lives here? There is no proof of that. Last year there wasn't a Boston scout every game.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Keep in mind, these are tests to see where the prospects are at from a physical standpoint. More importantly, it shows where they need to improve. The test are not an indictment of their status.

As far as the wingate goes, still doesnt seem that tough. Then again, most of these kids need major improvement to compete/suceed in the NHL. Thats how much better the NHL players are. Their physical development will improve a lot over next 3 yrs like most people.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Bengtsson is tall and lanky. Wouldn't be a surprise if some of the weight numbers floating around are a bit scewed.

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
The variable with the bench press at the NHL combine is that players are supposed to do it in rhythm with a metronome at a rate of 25 reps/minute. So it's not like the traditional drill where a guy starts doing reps and stops when he gets tired. If a guy doesn't do it correctly, it won't get counted towards their total. I can only imagine guys overcorrecting when they get out of sync.

Ie, the NFL combine each player can go at whatever pace he wants, and will start off quick but slow down:

NHL combine it has to be at a constant rate:

Strict form will be a lot tougher (full extension + pause down/up to follow correct rythm) than the reps in this video. The guy is far from fully extending (until he slows down and actually gets in a couple of good form reps) and he's slightly bouncing them off his chest which is a lot easier than having to pause before going back up. You just can't compare two testings done with entirely different protocols. Obviously there will be more reps done with the NFL protocol.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
If you can't ride a stationary bike with a tube in your face, someone pinching your nose, and a group of people screaming at you, then you can't play hockey and need to:
gtfo_56265_some_GTFO_pics-s480x300-76439-580.jpg

Implying that they are riding on the lowest resistance setting.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Some Finns results:

Mean power output (watts/kg):

11.2 Alexander Ruuttu (ranks 4th so far)
11.1 Joel Armia (ranks 6th)

Fatigue index:

36.7 Joel Armia (ranks 3rd)
39.2 Miikka Salomäki (ranks 6th)

VO2max:

64.5 Miikka Salomäki (7th)

Bodyfat:

7.5 Alexander Ruuttu (7th)

Hand-eye:

22.4 Christopher Gibson (1st)
25.0 Miikka Salomäki (tied7th)

4 Jump (Mat) Mode: ground time(sec)

EDIT: 24.20 Markus Granlund (tied 6th, first two have errors though)
0.32 Alexander Ruuttu (6th)
0.36 Christopher Gibson (7th)

4 Jump (Mat) Mode: Power factor

1.85 Alexander Ruuttu (7th)
1.79 Chris Gibson (8th)

Curl ups:

70 Miikka Salomäki (1st)
68 Samu Perhonen (2nd)
66 Alexander Ruuttu (3rd)

Wow, when some Jokerit experts said Tomek Valtonen did wonders for Alexander Ruuttu's physique, they weren't kidding.

EDIT: 4 jumps mat mode: avg jump height (inches)

24.20 Markus Granlund (tied 6th, first two have errors though)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad