2011 Draft Combine Thread

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He was also interviewed by the Flyers, despite them not having a 1st rounder at all.

Thought that was interesting.

Definitely interesting, perhaps the thought would be doing your due diligence in case your paths crossed further down the line. It hasn't even been three years since the 2008 Draft and a handful of guys have already been traded.

When they acquired Jeff Friesen in 2002, Lou Lamoriello was quick to mention that they had him very highly rated in 1994. To a lesser degree, Lou mentioned that the team interviewed David Steckel in 2001, so there was some familiarity there when they got acquired him ten years later.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Teams often interview players that they have no shot at getting now. They not only build files on players, but they could possibly trade up at some point. Also logistically, it takes a certain number of teams to request some of the lower level invitees. Those teams must interview those requested players.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I understand people, that teams will draft players even if they have no realistic shot at getting them in the draft.

Sorry for providing some info and simply saying it was interesting....

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Keep in mind that players are interviewed before and after the combine as well. I know some players that completed up to 8 or 9 interviews and some do in house testing (on and off ice) before the combine. One player I know of for an example has been tested at a teams city, completed 16 combine interviews and 9 interviews before the combine. Several will interview him and others like him again.

Every team is different, some don't like the rush of the combine. I know the Leafs are having a bunch of players in soon.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Link to combine results?

Does anyone have the link handy to the combine site, for the fitness testing that starts tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
You know what I hate?

TSN's combine blog being a coverit live where people can comment in it. Now I have to go through tons of useless comments to see what the TSN people reporting at the combine are saying. Infuriating.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
You know what I hate?

TSN's combine blog being a coverit live where people can comment in it. Now I have to go through tons of useless comments to see what the TSN people reporting at the combine are saying. Infuriating.

And then finding out that the TSN people's report is about as useful.

Did you know that Steve Thomas was in attendance?:shakehead

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Keep in mind that players are interviewed before and after the combine as well. I know some players that completed up to 8 or 9 interviews and some do in house testing (on and off ice) before the combine. One player I know of for an example has been tested at a teams city, completed 16 combine interviews and 9 interviews before the combine. Several will interview him and others like him again.

Every team is different, some don't like the rush of the combine. I know the Leafs are having a bunch of players in soon.

Yup. and then there is Dallas.
They usually do not hold any interviews as they do not want to "cloud" their hockey opinion of the kid with their off ice opinion.
Sounds strange but whatever....

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I'm still upset this isn't being televised in the US. I want to see interviews with the players and the numbers they put up.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There's a funny piece on Oleksiak and Grimaldi at TSN. Grimaldi comes across as very confident and well-spoken (even though he is Mighty Mouse Jr. as Oleksiak calls him :laugh: )

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Does anyone know where results of the tests are being posted? I'd like to see them (yeah I do want to compare myself to behemoth Oleksiak).

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^Yeah I'd like to see Oleksiak's results as well. He's the same height as Myers was at the combine and weighed like 30+ pounds more (Myers is up to 227 now which is still less than Oleksiak's 240). In the interview with Grimaldi, he said he was pretty happy with his results though.

Yup. and then there is Dallas.
They usually do not hold any interviews as they do not want to "cloud" their hockey opinion of the kid with their off ice opinion.
Sounds strange but whatever....

You'd prefer them to do an interview at least for the 1st rounder. That way you don't end up with a prospect like Tim Erixon (I don't believe Cgy interviewed him but if they did, it might have been telling).

Some of the interview questions I've seen though are really stupid and the player isn't gonna give a good answer when he's surrounded by 10+ grown men sometimes in a small room though.

Also, do they take updated height/weight measurements at the combine and post them? I'd have to guess that some players sizes are different now than what they were months ago from their hockeydb or wikipedia page or whatever.

Last edited:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
^Yeah I'd like to see Oleksiak's results as well. He's the same height as Myers was at the combine and weighed like 30+ pounds more (Myers is up to 227 now which is still less than Oleksiak's 240). In the interview with Grimaldi, he said he was pretty happy with his results though.

You'd prefer them to do an interview at least for the 1st rounder. That way you don't end up with a prospect like Tim Erixon (I don't believe Cgy interviewed him but if they did, it might have been telling).

Some of the interview questions I've seen though are really stupid and the player isn't gonna give a good answer when he's surrounded by 10+ grown men sometimes in a small room though.

I want to see them for more than just hockey purposes. I'm 6 foot 9 myself and I want to see how I do compared to him

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
If you can't ride a stationary bike with a tube in your face, someone pinching your nose, and a group of people screaming at you, then you can't play hockey and need to:
gtfo_56265_some_GTFO_pics-s480x300-76439-580.jpg

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
The combine twitter says he only did 6 officially?

Wow Rocco Grimaldi is destroyign everyone on these combine tests lol. Vastly going to improve his draft stock and see him go in the first round?

He was already a first rounder.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The combine twitter says he only did 6 officially?

Wow Rocco Grimaldi is destroyign everyone on these combine tests lol. Vastly going to improve his draft stock and see him go in the first round?

I have no doubt that Grimaldi is entrenched as a first-rounder. What I want to know is who is going to be the first team that blinks and takes him? He might go higher than expected.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
What is the bench weight? Because 2-8 is pathetic if it is only 185 (the number I think it is).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The bench weight is only 150.

I could rep that for 15 when I was 16 and I've never been big. I'm surprised even for a guy like Oleksiak only doing 13 or whatever.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I have no doubt that Grimaldi is entrenched as a first-rounder. What I want to know is who is going to be the first team that blinks and takes him? He might go higher than expected.

Eh well I still thought he was going to be outside the first round pre-combine.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I could rep that for 15 when I was 16 and I've never been big. I'm surprised even for a guy like Oleksiak only doing 13 or whatever.

They have very strict parameters to do these reps. This comes up every year and almost without fail, derails the thread. Only the ones that meet the criteria for the measurement are counted. Plenty of these guys do a lot more but they aren't counted because they do not meet the form.

Last edited:

NoLocus*

Those lifts are a lot harder for tall guys.

Do they test squat and deadlift at the combine? I'd assume those lifts would separate them from other kids their age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->