2011 Draft Combine Thread

His Beardliness*

Wow, Button's mock on TSN a few minutes ago could have just been titled ''Marc the Habs Fan's worst nightmare''.

I was thinking "Congratulations Ottawa, you have been awarded Larsson at sixth. Enjoy your epic defense."

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Is TSN gonna upload the whole combine show on their website?

Lol why're Zibanjed and Landeskog shopping at H&M while they're in Toronto, they have that all over in Sweden.

Man I'd be uncomfortable doing the test with so many guys crowded around me let alone the physical part of it.

FlyingPenguin

Apr 4, 2009
Kingston, ON
You don't scout someone extensively unless you like them. Bruins scouts intensified later in the season, like how Ottawa scouts intensified at Rangers games later in the season as well.

It doesn't really make any sense why Boston wouldn't be interested in him.
Is he an organizational need? Yes. Is he a current need? Yes. Would he be a need 3 years from now? Most likely. Is he BPA at 9? Definitely.

Only thing I can think of is if they question his upside.

You don't even know if you like someone until you've scouted them extensively, nor do you know where you're picking in the draft until the end of the year.

You don't watch a player one time or even ten times and decide that he isn't worth your time. You watch players as much as you possibly can and use what you've seen to create your rankings.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I used to cycle a lot when I was younger and that windgate test doesnt look that tough. Not sure what they are talking about. If they think that is tough, they should try cycling up steep hills in the mountains.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You don't even know if you like someone until you've scouted them extensively, nor do you know where you're picking in the draft until the end of the year.

You don't watch a player one time or even ten times and decide that he isn't worth your time. You watch players as much as you possibly can and use what you've seen to create your rankings.

There isn't enough scouts to scout every player extensively. There comes a time where you have to make a decision if a players worth your time or not and focus on players that the team thinks are worth their time.

I can't see Boston heavily scouting Kitchener (Which they did do) but not have any interest in the player that they had a chance to get on that team. (Murphy)

zeus3007*

no way acctually. and some players only did 2 reps? wow

They only count the ones that the player actually does properly. Nugent Hopkins actually did 8 or 9, but they only counted six because he either didn't extend enough or didn't bring it down enough or something.

His Beardliness*

I used to cycle a lot when I was younger and that windgate test doesnt look that tough. Not sure what they are talking about. If they think that is tough, they should try cycling up steep hills in the mountains.

Going absolute max for 30 seconds is always hard, no matter how well trained you are. You always have a max. When you're cycling uphill for a longer period of time you don't take out maximum of your capability because you would tire very fast.

zeus3007*

Some of the best amateur hockey players in the world get sick after doing it. I don't care if you have cycled, I'm sure you have no idea what the windgate is actually like until you've done it.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
these are 17yo's who spend their time on skates throughout the year, not the gym. Most of them would have pretty impressive squats if that was tested. Most 17yo's do not have developed upper body strength, I dunno what the average is but I work at a gym and most kids that age could prob only bench 150 6-7 times

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I was thinking "Congratulations Ottawa, you have been awarded Larsson at sixth. Enjoy your epic defense."

I am not talking about his top 5 (with Larsson not in it :laugh:)

I am talking about his mock at the end of the combine show on TSN with Larsson going to the freaking Devils:rant:, Couturier falling to Ottawa at 6:rant: and Boston somehow landing Ryan Murphy at 9.:rant:

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b

Now imagine the incline growing by 5 degrees every 10 seconds. It gets rough

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Gabriel Landeskog scored higher than average on five of last years tests averages.
This kid is the second "C" that's European playing for Kitchener of the OHL. Leadership, size, strength and skill and endurance. Has to be the most NHL ready player in this draft.
Huberdeau and Hopkins upper body strength weak only managing two bench presses of a 150 weight. Huberdeau at least has the excuse of the Memorial Cup fatigue factor.
Maybe see Landeskog go 1st overall instead of Hopkins.
Hope my Wings trade up somehow. This draft doesn't look very deep.
Blues have three close together 2nd round picks so we'll probably see them trade up for a better pick.

Oil Town XJ

Dec 17, 2008
Edmonton
Gabriel Landeskog scored higher than average on five of last years tests averages.
This kid is the second "C" that's European playing for Kitchener of the OHL. Leadership, size, strength and skill and endurance. Has to be the most NHL ready player in this draft.
Huberdeau and Hopkins upper body strength weak only managing two bench presses of a 150 weight. Huberdeau at least has the excuse of the Memorial Cup fatigue factor.
Maybe see Landeskog go 1st overall instead of Hopkins.
Hope my Wings trade up somehow. This draft doesn't look very deep.
Blues have three close together 2nd round picks so we'll probably see them trade up for a better pick.
RNH did 6 reps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->