2011 Draft Combine Thread

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Zibanejad was invited so I expect hes going to be there. If hes drafted by the Bruins I think he becomes our 2nd highest center prospect behind Spooner.

Actually, I think Zibanejad becomes our highest rated center prospect, and Spooner becomes our highest rated left-wing prospect.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Actually, I think Zibanejad becomes our highest rated center prospect, and Spooner becomes our highest rated left-wing prospect.

Man, the Bruins sure like to draft centres, why not draft some wingers to compliment them.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Hopefully Zibanejad will be there and have a great showing. I say this as a Bruins fan for two reasons:

1) Hopefully a team will grab him in the top 8, leaving someone like Murphy or Hamilton to Boston.

2) If he's there at 9, I think there is a good chance the Bruins take him. They're always looking for a big-strong centerman, even though they're pretty stacked down the middle. Seguin might be taking up a permanent spot on the wing.

Well if that's the case then why deal Thornton and Colborne, they are looking for one because they keep trading them, they should have dealt Hamill or Spooner instead of Colborne to the Leafs.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Is the combine going to be televised in the US? I saw it was going to be on TSN in Canada.

I looked and didn't see it on the NHL Networks scheduled programming. Not sure if they plan to add it but I if not...What is the sense in having your own network? I mean other than the finals, there really isn't all that much going on right? They did a decent job airing the Memorial cup, but...again if you have the network and can air shows 24/7...why not send a crew to the Combine? It makes zero sense not too. Sometime you have to question the people runnign the show there. It's nice to see a classic series from 93 and all...But this is something that needs coverage if the NHL plans on growing, they need to not only intoduce, but also educate it's fans on draft eligibles.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
It was a surprise how many finn were invited. Last year they invited like 2 finn and last draft was better for us.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Has anyone ever done a decent article on the relevance of the NHL combine results?

I mean, we get the same story every year about who did/didn't vomit after riding the bike and all, but aside from that, is any information of value really gleaned outside of the interviews?

I know, it's a long offseason...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
TSN is only doing an hour long special on it. How much can they really show in that much time? They'll probably do a couple interviews and talk about the top prospects but that's about it.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Duncan Siemens was interviewed by 26 NHL teams. Two not on the list included Montreal and Dallas, which is interesting bc they both have top 20 picks.

He was also interviewed by the Flyers, despite them not having a 1st rounder at all.

Thought that was interesting.

Zeroknowledge*

I hope the Habs interview Miller, 50/50 chances on him being available at 17 and IMO would be a great pick.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Duncan Siemens was interviewed by 26 NHL teams. Two not on the list included Montreal and Dallas, which is interesting bc they both have top 20 picks.

He was also interviewed by the Flyers, despite them not having a 1st rounder at all.

It's not that interesting if they aren't that into him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I know what you mean but not THAT incredible. Flyers might cover all the basis they can in case they can move up. Montreal and Dallas might not be interested (which I don't believe is the case), might believe he'll be gone at the time they speak but if they move up, they'll be interested or might have already talked to him or will do it at a later date. Habs have another combine prior to the draft involving mostly Q players but other players as well....will Siemens be in there? Tons of reasons why....but not being interested in him, for me, can't be the #1 reason.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

A lot of teams will interview guys even though they know they likely won't have a shot at drafting them simply to get to know them better personally. That way they know the player in the event that they come up as a trade possibility years into the future.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
A lot of teams will interview guys even though they know they likely won't have a shot at drafting them simply to get to know them better personally. That way they know the player in the event that they come up as a trade possibility years into the future.

Correct.

plus-
they interview them as they may trade up/down
they interview them to find out opinions of team mates and opposition

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Prince met with the Nucks, I would be down with that pick if they are interested, if he's still there, problem is the Nucks will be picking either last or 2nd to last unless they can somehow move up, he also met without the other Cup finalist Boston, do great minds think alike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad