13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hmm so which is it? Guess I can go turn on the tv for myself!

You do that.

I guess it's a matter of opinions. I think he's doing his job really well. I'd like to see him on the PP though, but I understand that's not the role he thrives in, especially with the talent on that roster.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
First time I have seen Gauthier play. Very mixed bag tonight. On the ice for two of three goals against. Playing way too soft on those goals.

He looks good on faceoffs but he has like 35+ pounds on the opposition.

Everything he is doing well seems to be related to his size advantage. I think we have seen this movie before with Biggs.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Uh, no he isn't. I'm not sure what you are watching.

To be fair, I only watched a little so I guess he must've picked it up... but he did pretty terrible last game lol (my detroit friends pick on me for having gauthier as our 1st rounder while they have mantha QQ)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
NAME|LEAGUE|TEAM|POS|GP|G|A|P|+/-|PIM
Spencer Abbott|AHL|TOA|RW|12|1|17|18|5|4
Carter Ashton|AHL|TOA|RW|2|2|0|2|0|0
Tyler Biggs|AHL|TOA|RW|12|1|0|1|-3|2
Jesse Blacker|AHL|TOA|D|5|1|0|1|1|4
TJ Brennan|AHL|TOA|D|13|10|7|17|5|6
David Broll|AHL|TOA|LW|11|0|4|4|1|5
Connor Brown|OHL|ERIE|RW|20|17|25|42|15|8
Tony Cameranesi|NCAA|UMD|C|8|1|2|3|2|9
Sam Carrick|AHL|TOA|C|13|1|3|4|6|31
Andrew Crescenzi|AHL|TOA|C|11|0|0|0|-3|6
Jerry D'Amigo|AHL|TOA|RW|12|2|2|4|-2|4
Jamie Devane|AHL|TOA|LW|9|0|1|1|1|18
Max Everson|NCAA|HRVD|D|0|0|0|0|0
Matt Finn|OHL|GUE|D|18|5|13|18|18|20
Frederik Gauthier|QMJHL|RIM|C|20|5|14|19|2|15
Petter Granberg|AHL|TOA|D|12|1|0|1|2|8
Fabrice Herzog|QMJHL|QUE|RW|24|14|8|22|1|14
Korbinian Holzer|AHL|TOA|D|13|0|3|3|-5|12
Andreas Johnson|SHL|FRO|LW|21|11|6|17|1|2
Eric Knodel|NCAA|UNH|D|10|2|5|7|3|10
Josh Leivo|AHL|TOA|LW|10|4|3|7|1|2
Viktor Loov|SHL|MODO|D|21|1|4|5|4|12
Andrew MacWilliam|AHL|TOA|D|8|0|0|0|-5|28
Kevin Marshall|AHL|TOA|D|6|0|1|1|2|8
Greg McKegg|AHL|TOA|C|13|3|2|5|-5|6
Tom Nilsson|SHL|FRO|D|19|1|1|2|1|12
Stuart Percy|AHL|TOA|D|12|0|3|3|3|8
Dennis Robertson|NCAA|BU|D|7|2|3|5|2|29
Brad Ross|AHL|TOA|RW|12|0|0|0|-2|15
Ryan Rupert|OHL|LDN|C|20|5|11|16|8|21
Kenny Ryan|AHL|TOA|RW|0|0|0|0|0|
Trevor Smith|AHL|TOA|C|7|4|8|12|4|6
Dominic Toninato|NCAA|UMD|C|8|2|2|4|1|19
Carter Verhaeghe|OHL|NIA|C|21|16|20|36|4|18
Zach Yuen|ECHL|ORL|D|12|1|4|5|2|4

NAME|LEAGUE|TEAM|GP|WINS|LOSSES|OTL|SV%|GAA
Antoine Bibeau|QMJHL|CHA|15|7|4|3|.915%|3.24
Christopher Gibson|ECHL|ORL|6|2|3|1|.904%|2.64
Drew MacIntyre|AHL|TOA|10|6|4|0|.906%|2.39
Garret Sparks|AHL|TOA|3|0|3|0|.848%|4.10

Solid group of prospects, should try to move some depth (especially defense) for some more picks/ young prospects, but otherwise we are doing well. I'd also like to see them sign some of those impressive undrafted rookie guys (like Yuen), because some of them were really impressive, and for them to go to Europe more often, because we get so much success from those picks, especially in the late rounds (Gunnarsson, and even Herzog and Johnson this year are looking so good).

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Solid group of prospects, should try to move some depth (especially defense) for some more picks/ young prospects, but otherwise we are doing well. I'd also like to see them sign some of those impressive undrafted rookie guys (like Yuen), because some of them were really impressive, and for them to go to Europe more often, because we get so much success from those picks, especially in the late rounds (Gunnarsson, and even Herzog and Johnson this year are looking so good).

We seem a bit light in the goaltending department. I know we have two young goalies at the NHL level, but its probably not realistic to think we can keep both long term. Could use a really good goaltending prospect in the system. Could also sign a free agent like we did with Scrivens to help bolster the position.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Missed the game last night, any players stand out? How was Gauthier?

Like most have said, kind of mixed reaction. He doesnt make any glaring mistakes because hes so good defensively and he wins a lot of draws but at the same time if youre not watching for him you wouldnt know hes out there. It was the top line last night again that stood out. I think its fair to say that in the defensive/PK/shutdown/faceoff role he was outperformed by Felix Girard these two games. Its only two games though and he has a huge size and draft advantage over Girard as well

I think to make Canada you need to stand out more but hes eligible next year as well, not everyone makes it in their first year

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
We seem a bit light in the goaltending department. I know we have two young goalies at the NHL level, but its probably not realistic to think we can keep both long term. Could use a really good goaltending prospect in the system. Could also sign a free agent like we did with Scrivens to help bolster the position.

I subscribe to the idea that you don't use high picks on goaltenders. Just too high risk. We'll likely sign an NCAA guy or pick another one late next year. Project types.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Like most have said, kind of mixed reaction. He doesnt make any glaring mistakes because hes so good defensively and he wins a lot of draws but at the same time if youre not watching for him you wouldnt know hes out there. It was the top line last night again that stood out. I think its fair to say that in the defensive/PK/shutdown/faceoff role he was outperformed by Felix Girard these two games. Its only two games though and he has a huge size and draft advantage over Girard as well

I think to make Canada you need to stand out more but hes eligible next year as well, not everyone makes it in their first year

On the flip side, the broadcasters named Gauthier the hardest working player of the game .. So I'd say he played fairly well, just didn't generate a ton of offense although he was used more in a defensive position frequently (like on the PK and stuff)

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
On the flip side, the broadcasters named Gauthier the hardest working player of the game .. So I'd say he played fairly well, just didn't generate a ton of offense although he was used more in a defensive position frequently (like on the PK and stuff)

They were pumping his tires for the Tarana viewers all night. He didn't really stand out sorry to say.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Thx, how did Mantha, Drouin, and Hudon look?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Thx, how did Mantha, Drouin, and Hudon look?

I didn't see a lot of the game but I notice Mantha had a lot of strength and was able to pull away from defenders who were right on him. He would skate in the zone and eventually he would blow by the defender from the outside making his way towards the middle and they couldn't keep up with his speed or strength.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I didn't see a lot of the game but I notice Mantha had a lot of strength and was able to pull away from defenders who were right on him. He would skate in the zone and eventually he would blow by the defender from the outside making his way towards the middle and they couldn't keep up with his speed or strength.

Mantha scored again I know that.

Bummer we missed him by 1 pick. :cry:

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I've been very impressed by Drouin(no surprise) and Anthony Mantha, who always seems to be dangerous whenever on the ice.

Mantha seems like the very opposite of your type of player. No heart, plays when he wants to, gets by on his talent. Similar to the critic on Grigorenko in his draft year (who I was high on but I've learned my lesson)

Just saying there's a reason why a 6'5" forward with explosive scoring ability didn't get picked until the 20 spot. I'm also sure scouts could have predicted Mantha would have a huge year. He's one of those players that will excel in juniors and have trouble adjusting and competing at a pro level

Last edited:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Mantha seems like the very opposite of your type of player. No heart, plays when he wants to, gets by on his talent. Similar to the critic on Grigorenko in his draft year (who I was high on but I've learned my lesson)

Just saying there's a reason why a 6'5" forward with explosive scoring ability didn't get picked until the 20 spot. I'm also sure scouts could have predicted Mantha would have a huge year. He's one of those players that will excel in juniors and have trouble adjusting and competing at a pro level

I'm pretty sure Interactif wasn't a fan of Mantha's last year but I digress.

And Grigorenko is getting thrown to the sharks in Buffalo. He's getting no time to develop properly. He's not the no-heart player he's made out to be. Compete and heart are two very different things. Compete is a skill, heart is something you just have or don't. Grigorenko is still plenty young and has lots of time to develop properly.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

And Grigorenko is getting thrown to the sharks in Buffalo. He's getting no time to develop properly. He's not the no-heart player he's made out to be. Compete and heart are two very different things. Compete is a skill, heart is something you just have or don't. Grigorenko is still plenty young and has lots of time to develop properly.

Yeah, I still think Grigs could be a solid top 6 guy but not the elite talent that he was originally projected to be.

And you're right about heart and compete being different. I should have chosen my words better but I mostly just meant that he doesn't compete on the ice.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

This is correct. Grigorenko isn't ready for the show, and certainly wasn't last year. He needed to take his time in junior, and then play a season in the AHL, before taking on the task of playing center in the NHL.

Buffalo is a mess, and trying to force the development of their youngsters. They'd better smarten up, or they're going to ruin a number of good young players, trying to get back to respectability in a hurry.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I hate this reasoning. Scouts make mistakes, scouts put too much importance on certain things, and players get mistakenly dropped sometimes. It's very possible that Mantha is one of those players. He's certainly showing scouts wrong right now. I doubt any scout predicted he'd be on pace for a 150 point season at the 23 game mark. Or predicted he could get 65 goals. On a team where he's largely by himself no less.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
This is correct. Grigorenko isn't ready for the show, and certainly wasn't last year. He needed to take his time in junior, and then play a season in the AHL, before taking on the task of playing center in the NHL.

Buffalo is a mess, and trying to force the development of their youngsters. They'd better smarten up, or they're going to ruin a number of good young players, trying to get back to respectability in a hurry.

I suppose this conversation could be in the Around the League thread, but whatever.

They appear to be making the right moves now by sending Larsson and Ristolainen to the AHL, and Zadorov to the OHL. I expect Grigorenko will shortly be sent to the Q now that the NHL rejected his conditioning assignment. It's a step in the right direction development wise.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
They were pumping his tires for the Tarana viewers all night. He didn't really stand out sorry to say.

I thought differently, he played better last night than he did the first game. His line actually cycled a bit this game and created a couple chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad