13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gauthier had around 5 blocked shots last night. He got unlucky on the 2nd Russian goal though as he blocked the shot infront of the net and the puck deflected right to the Russian player on the side of the net for an easy goal. Tough bounce.

You can see the things that made him a first round pick. He's a work horse on the ice. He forechecks well and is a very smart hockey player. He threw his weight a lot more than the first game as well, crushing a couple in the process.

As advertised however, he needs to keep using his size when he's in the offensive zone. What I mean by that is crashing the net with the puck more often instead of dishing off the puck. A player his size should be able to carry more towards the net. I think we can agree that this is something he can keep improving, unlike other parts of hockey. Also improving his puck strength would help him tremendously in terms of shot, passing and like I just said, puck carrying.

With off-ice commitment, he should be able to keep progressing his game in a more 2-way game instead of pure defensive game like it is right now.

I was pleased with his game. He won't stickhandle like Drouin or score a ton of goals like Mantha, but neither of those 2 would win that crucial faceoff or block that important shot like Gauthier either. I'm not saying Drouin or Mantha are not more valuable, not at all, but there's a lot of good things Gauthier did that are not as sexy --- that's all.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mantha seems like the very opposite of your type of player. No heart, plays when he wants to, gets by on his talent. Similar to the critic on Grigorenko in his draft year (who I was high on but I've learned my lesson)

Just saying there's a reason why a 6'5" forward with explosive scoring ability didn't get picked until the 20 spot. I'm also sure scouts could have predicted Mantha would have a huge year. He's one of those players that will excel in juniors and have trouble adjusting and competing at a pro level

A Scout told me he has great feet, skill, and size. Only questioned his physical play. He had him at #14, I don't see Grigorenko in him at all. I'm sure he had some warts to be missed by 19 teams, but with that upside, I am sure he is a good risk at 20.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I feel like down the line we will be in the playoffs and holding on to a Game 7 lead. In the last 2 minutes, Gauthier will win a few defensive zone faceoffs and also block quite a few shots. His last shot block will bounce off him to the neutral zone, giving one of our wingers a breakaway on the empty net. Many posters will go OMGZ I love winger he just saved us and scored the empty netter!!!! While probably not noticing Gauthier was even on the ice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure Interactif wasn't a fan of Mantha's last year but I digress.

Well, I never mentioned him so I was neither a critic or fan.

Let's make it official now, I am a fan of Mantha this year, with the glimspe of potential I have seen. At 20, this is the boom pick teams should pick.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Mantha is a perfect example of why stats > scouting.

This guy should have been a top-5 pick with the numbers he put up last year, combined with a solid all round talent package including size and skating.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

This guy should have been a top-5 pick with the numbers he put up last year, combined with a solid all round talent package including size and skating.

Agreed somewhat but then you have Corey Locke. But then you have Colton Gillies. Case in point, I think both are equal.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
At least with Locke you could see the basic facts that he was a midget who couldn't skate.

but a guy as big as mantha, with solid skating, putting up those kinds of numbers....I still can't figure out how the heck scouts didn't rank him near the top.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
So that Leivo kid has been PPG since being sent down by the Leafs, anyone know how he's actually been looking?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Well, I never mentioned him so I was neither a critic or fan.

Let's make it official now, I am a fan of Mantha this year, with the glimspe of potential I have seen. At 20, this is the boom pick teams should pick.

Couldn't remember. Sorry for that. Just went off the type of players you usually don't like and married the two together. My apologies.

Or he's a prefect example of the deficiencies and stubbornness in scouting.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
So that Leivo kid has been PPG since being sent down by the Leafs, anyone know how he's actually been looking?

Getting lost in all this Gauthier vs. Mantha talk is what our BEST forward prospect is currently up to.

Leivo doesn't get enough love around here. This guy is going to be Lupul 2.0 for us.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Couldn't remember. Sorry for that. Just went off the type of players you usually don't like and married the two together. My apologies.

Or he's a prefect example of the deficiencies and stubbornness in scouting.

No probs, but I will say this, if we had 2 picks in the first rd plus a 2nd. I would have loved to have moved up and taken both Mantha and Gauthier. Like we did in 2011.

When you have 2 picks in the first rd, one can afford to take a safe and boom prospect in the same draft.

Sort of like Biggs and Percy. Biggs was the boom prospect, Percy the safe NHL'er. Too bad we didn't have the picks to make that happen.

However, If Bolland signs with us in the offseason, and I think he will. I would gladly take that trade off. ;)

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Getting lost in all this Gauthier vs. Mantha talk is what our BEST forward prospect is currently up to.

Leivo doesn't get enough love around here. This guy is going to be Lupul 2.0 for us.

He's putting up very respectable numbers, IIRC he only had a point in his first 3 or 4 games as a Marlie. Seems he's become acclimated quickly.

Who are the last forward prospects to have a PPG season in their first year of eligibility? (CHL Players)

Edit: there, their, they're. *face palm*

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A good test for Connor Brown tonight as he plays his only game of the Subway Series.

He's been great for Erie thus far but this test could put him a bit closer to perhaps a spot on Team Canada. Obviously one game doesn't make it or break it but if he can show he can elevate his game in a "big" game scenario, it would look a lot better for him. A lot of talent on that roster though so it might be hard for him to get the minutes he would get on the Otters.

Finn is also in tonight.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
really, really good.

we haven't had a rookie look this good since Kadri.

I think Leivo and Percy are definitely the best AHL rookies since Kadri. Both have been great.

Leivo has quite the NHL wrist shot. If he can keep working on his skating and strength around the boards, he'll be a very good player for the Leafs. You can't teach his 2-way awareness either.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
For everyone whose worrying about Gauthier's offensive production this season. Which is his post draft year, take into consideration a guy like Getzlaf who 2 years after his draft year dipped to 54 points in 51 games in the WHL.

In no way do I think Gauthier is similar to Getz, but both are big centres.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

Doesn't have close to the offensive ability of Lupul.

He's putting up very respectable numbers, IIRC he only had a point in his first 3 or 4 games as a Marlie. Seems he's become acclimated quickly.

Who are the last forward prospects to have a PPG season in their first year of eligibility? (CHL Players)

Edit: there, their, they're. *face palm*

Tyler Toffoli is a good example, put up 51 in 59 I think. I'm sure theres been some actual PPG AHL rookies, but I'm too lazy to check. Plus I doubt Leivo is anywhere close to a PPG at the end of the year

The last AHL rookie I can remember being a PPG for a somewhat long period of time was Schultz last year.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
For everyone whose worrying about Gauthier's offensive production this season. Which is his post draft year, take into consideration a guy like Getzlaf who 2 years after his draft year dipped to 54 points in 51 games in the WHL.

Vanek, Carter, (Steve) Bernier, Parise, Van Riemsdyk, Couture, (Brandon) Sutter, etc etc. All players have different development paths. We could see limited offense from Gaut in the Q and then he can completely explode in the AHL or even NHL. Martin Hanzal in his 7th season is putting up a point per game (albeit small sample size).

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

lol. Am I the only one who found this funny?

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
No.

I understood exactly what the poster was implying.

So you also found this funny?

I also understood what the poster was implying. He was saying he's not comparing them in anyway, just to compare them next.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Doesn't have close to the offensive ability of Lupul.

Tyler Toffoli is a good example, put up 51 in 59 I think. I'm sure theres been some actual PPG AHL rookies, but I'm too lazy to check. Plus I doubt Leivo is anywhere close to a PPG at the end of the year

The last AHL rookie I can remember being a PPG for a somewhat long period of time was Schultz last year.

What makes you say this? He's got a hell of a shot, and amazing IQ.

In his first AHL year, Lupul put up 56 points in 65 games, and this was after getting 75 games in the NHL the previous year.

I believe Leivo will eclipse those numbers this year, despite being a year younger than when Lupul did it and not having the NHL experience Lupul did.

I would take Leivo in the 1st round of 2011 if we did a re-draft.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Some of the fans have proved our scouts are weak at getting top line potential. I also support the comments they have made and agree that our scouts need to improve. Our Europe scout is awesome. He has proven more and more time. Give him a chance at drafting 2nd, 3rd rounds.

We have wasted many top picks for busts.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
So you also found this funny?

I also understood what the poster was implying. He was saying he's not comparing them in anyway, just to compare them next.

I wasn't comparing them, height wasn't my comparison. Playing style was, any one who wasn't clueless woulda caught that one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad