13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
CHL

W C.Brown (19): 22gms, 18gls, 43pts (82gms, 67gls, 160pts)
C C.Verhaeghe (18): 23gms, 16gls, 38pts (82gms, 57gls, 136pts)
C F.Gauthier (18): 21gms, 5gls, 19pts (82gms, 20gls, 74pts)
W F.Herzog (19): 26gms, 14gls, 23pts (82gms, 44gls, 73pts)
(W M.Rupert (19): 18gms, 8gls, 16pts (82gms, 36gls, 73pts))
C R.Rupert (19): 22gms, 6gls, 18pts (82gms, 22gls, 67pts)

D M.Finn (19): 20gms, 5gls, 19pts (82gms, 21gls, 78pts)

G A.Bibeau (18): 16gms, 7-5-3, 3.30gaa, 0so, .913sv%

SEL

W A.Johnson (18): 21gms, 11gls, 17pts (82gms, 43gls, 66pts)

D V.Loov (21): 21gms, 1gls, 5pts (82gms, 4gls, 20pts)
D T.Nilsson (20): 19gms, 1gls, 2pts (82gms, 4gls, 9pts)

NCAA

W T.Cameranesi (20): 10gms, 1gls, 6pts (82gms, 8gls, 49pts)
W D.Toninato (19): 10gms, 2gls, 5pts (82gms, 16gls, 41pts)

D D.Robertson (22): 7gms, 2gls, 5pts (82gms, 23gls, 59pts)
D E.Knodel (23): 12gms, 2gls, 7pts (82gms, 14gls, 48pts)

Jacob8hockey*

CHL

W C.Brown (19): 22gms, 18gls, 43pts (82gms, 67gls, 160pts)
C C.Verhaeghe (18): 23gms, 16gls, 38pts (82gms, 57gls, 136pts)
C F.Gauthier (18): 21gms, 5gls, 19pts (82gms, 20gls, 74pts)
W F.Herzog (19): 26gms, 14gls, 23pts (82gms, 44gls, 73pts)
(W M.Rupert (19): 18gms, 8gls, 16pts (82gms, 36gls, 73pts))
C R.Rupert (19): 22gms, 6gls, 18pts (82gms, 22gls, 67pts)

D M.Finn (19): 20gms, 5gls, 19pts (82gms, 21gls, 78pts)

G A.Bibeau (18): 16gms, 7-5-3, 3.30gaa, 0so, .913sv%

SEL

W A.Johnson (18): 21gms, 11gls, 17pts (82gms, 43gls, 66pts)

D V.Loov (21): 21gms, 1gls, 5pts (82gms, 4gls, 20pts)
D T.Nilsson (20): 19gms, 1gls, 2pts (82gms, 4gls, 9pts)

NCAA

W T.Cameranesi (20): 10gms, 1gls, 6pts (82gms, 8gls, 49pts)
W D.Toninato (19): 10gms, 2gls, 5pts (82gms, 16gls, 41pts)

D D.Robertson (22): 7gms, 2gls, 5pts (82gms, 23gls, 59pts)
D E.Knodel (23): 12gms, 2gls, 7pts (82gms, 14gls, 48pts)

Juniors only play like 65 games :sarcasm::sarcasm:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gauthier has 5 goals this year? That's truly underwhelming for a first rd pick. I know many here like to pump our prospects but is the guy hurt or just bad? On the other spectrum Verhaeghe has 16 goals, that makes up for Gauthier's off post draft year.

ErikP803

Mar 29, 2010
Gauthier has 5 goals this year? That's truly underwhelming for a first rd pick. I know many here like to pump our prospects but is the guy hurt or just bad? On the other spectrum Verhaeghe has 16 goals, that makes up for Gauthier's off post draft year.

Ah, the ol' "lets measure a prospect by how many goals he scores". You're a joke, everyone knew one of the biggest knocks on Gauthier was that he doesnt trust his shot enough. How many games of his have you watched? Let the KID (yes, he is still just a kid, maybe you forgot that young adults make mistakes pretty much every day!) develop at his own pace. If you want to stat-watch, do it with some insight into WHY he is getting those numbers instead of just calling him out blindly. But I guess thats your thing ;)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ Gauthier had a slow start, IIRC, and took him a handful of games to get his first goal .. So that's more like 5 goals in his last 15 - if he keeps this pace up he should at least match his total from last year (22)

There is a ton of time in this season though for him to turn his production up a notch as he gains more confidence/experience in his game ... It's good to see he perform at a PPG clip through the first 20 games of the year though

Verhaeghe has had an amazing start in his new, increased role - couldn't ask for more from him .. Be interesting to see if he can keep this pace up

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Ah, the ol' "lets measure a prospect by how many goals he scores". You're a joke, everyone knew one of the biggest knocks on Gauthier was that he doesnt trust his shot enough. How many games of his have you watched? Let the KID (yes, he is still just a kid, maybe you forgot that young adults make mistakes pretty much every day!) develop at his own pace. If you want to stat-watch, do it with some insight into WHY he is getting those numbers instead of just calling him out blindly. But I guess thats your thing ;)

You have to be real careful trying to judge prospects based on stats. Many factors can affect what type of numbers they put up. I remember liking Logan Couture as a prospect and being disappointed we traded our first rounder in 07, as I thought he sounded like a really good two way centre. Year after he was drafted, his numbers dropped significantly and he didn't play on the WJC team while in junior. Got me thinking maybe he wasn't developing as I had expected but look at him now.

Just for comparison sake, Couture's numbers in 2007 (his draft year), identical to Gauthier's, even though different league.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
McDavid has 6 goals. Is that underwhelming for a potential superstar?

Leafs better pass on him with their first round pick. I want a guy that can score goals in the OHL...doesn't matter if he doesn't score in the NHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
One of the issues for Gauthier is that it seems like he's not on his team's 1st PP unit.

Which is a legit criticism itself - because it'd be better if he had earned that spot in his coach's eyes.

But still, he is missing out on prime scoring opportunities, unlike most other top prospects.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
We have plenty of guys who can score goals. Gauthier wasn't drafted for his scoring ability. He was drafted for his strong defensive game which is something very few of our forwards are good at.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Just curious Interactif, if you feel Gauthier's goal production is bad for a first rounder, then what about Biggs' goal production as a first rounder? They were basically picked at the same spot, but you seem to like Biggs and what he is supposed to bring, even if it doesn't include many goals. Gauthier brings better defence at a more important position but you are ripping on him.

Since Biggs has been drafted, he has only scored 37 goals in 125 games at 3 different levels, in 2 1/4 years. Verhaeghe is on pace to score more than that in less than a season.

So if Verhaeghe is doing well, and Gauthier isn't, neither is Biggs.

Gauthier is also on pace for over 40 assists this season even with the games he's missed. Joe Thornton seems to have no problems thriving on assists.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Just curious Interactif, if you feel Gauthier's goal production is bad for a first rounder, then what about Biggs' goal production as a first rounder? They were basically picked at the same spot, but you seem to like Biggs and what he is supposed to bring, even if it doesn't include many goals. Gauthier brings better defence at a more important position but you are ripping on him.

Since Biggs has been drafted, he has only scored 37 goals in 125 games at 3 different levels, in 2 1/4 years. Verhaeghe is on pace to score more than that in less than a season.

Gauthier is also on pace for over 40 assists this season even with the games he's missed. Joe Thornton seems to have no problems thriving on assists.

These are good questions that won't likely get a response.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Biggs played against in the NCAA at U of Miami his post draft year. Not the same situation as Gauthier, he took a different route to the NHL. Now if you ask me should he have gone to the OHL. I would agree. But given this it was hard to track his progress.

Now he his first year in the OHL he did score 26 goals in 60 games as a 19 year old. This is good, Leivo scored 29 goals last season. Now given this, I am disappointed in his year this season, Leivo is flourishing Biggs is not for whatever reason.

Gauthier has already scored 22 goals in the Q, which makes 5 to this point a year older a disappointment. All we want is progress, I don't see how this can be considered progress, not unless he has an injury or some legitimate excuse.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Biggs played against in the NCAA at U of Miami his post draft year. Not the same situation as Gauthier, he took a different route to the NHL. Now if you ask me should he have gone to the OHL. I would agree. But given this it was hard to track his progress.

Now he his first year in the OHL he did score 26 goals in 60 games as a 19 year old. This is good, Leivo scored 29 goals last season. Now given this, I am disappointed in his year this season, Leivo is flourishing Biggs is not for whatever reason.

Gauthier has already scored 22 goals in the Q, which makes 5 to this point a year older a disappointment. All we want is progress, I don't see how this can be considered progress, not unless he has an injury or some legitimate excuse.

Still early in the season for both Gauthier and Biggs, though Biggs looks more alarming at this point. I think if Gauthier pots over 20 goals while also taking time off for the WJC and gets praised for his defensive play all at the end of the season, its progress.

Biggs needs to hit around 25 points (thats being generous) while being praised on the pk and for using his body.

Between both, Biggs looks to be in more "trouble". In the end, if both end up on the third line I'm happy. Picks outside of the top 10 aren't usually stars, so those are my expectations. Even though they have the label of being a 1st, we all need to temper expectations in certain areas, since they aren't top 10. If Gauthier and Biggs were both picked 7th overall, I'd be very concerned.

But the way 1sts and 2nds can be talked about here, its like 60 picks a year becomes stars. I don't think there are 60 stars in the league, let alone 60 produced every year.

Kadri and Rielly I expect a lot, but past 10, I just expect a contributing player.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Man Mantha has been unreal so far this year, it sucks he got picked right before us, but I guarantee you the Leafs would have picked Gauthier>Mantha.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Man Mantha has been unreal so far this year, it sucks he got picked right before us, but I guarantee you the Leafs would have picked Gauthier>Mantha.

I heard somewhere they thought mantha would be there and they would of taken him, can't remember where I heard it and I'm too lazy to look it up

mikebel111*

I heard somewhere they thought mantha would be there and they would of taken him, can't remember where I heard it and I'm too lazy to look it up

I actually heard the same thing that they would take another centre and i believe its mantha

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Mantha and Morrissey were the two guys I wanted where we were. Morrissey went quite a bit higher than I thought he would, but I wasn't too surprised, because he's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad