13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
What makes you say this? He's got a hell of a shot, and amazing IQ.

In his first AHL year, Lupul put up 56 points in 65 games, and this was after getting 75 games in the NHL the previous year.

I believe Leivo will eclipse those numbers this year, despite being a year younger than when Lupul did it and not having the NHL experience Lupul did.

I would take Leivo in the 1st round of 2011 if we did a re-draft.

Lupul put up over 100 points in his draft year. Also you can't expect Leivo to put up the totals that Lupul did. Those are some great numbers for a AHL rookie.

If you're comparing Leivo to lupul today there's a palying style comparison of sorts, but overall they're not similar. Lupul is a much better skater, has much better hands, and is more noticeably physical. Leivo is more of a hard working cycle player who gets shots off of the cycle (similar to Kule's 30 goal season), on top of that Leivo is actually good defensively. They both drive the net and play with "heart", but really there's a pretty massive talent disparity. You're really overrating Leivo if you're expecting him to put up more than .86 PPG in his first year of the AHL.

Which of these 30 2011 draft players would you take Leivo over? RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, Strome, Zib, Schiefe, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin, Baertschi, Beaulieu, Klefbom, Gibson, Ritchie, Jenner, Saad, Kucherov, Shaw, Murphy, Percy, Namestnikov, Armia, Cousins, Gaudreau, Palat, Pageau, Clendening, Rakell, Morrow, or Danault

I wasn't comparing them, height wasn't my comparison. Playing style was, any one who wasn't clueless woulda caught that one

Really? Cause you said "In no way are they similar", then you list off 2 similarities.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
^^ Don't underrate Leivo's abilities. His hands are just as good as Lupul's. He has some slick mitts which I learned after I watched him a lot in Kitchener.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Lupul put up over 100 points in his draft year. Also you can't expect Leivo to put up the totals that Lupul did. Those are some great numbers for a AHL rookie.

If you're comparing Leivo to lupul today there's a palying style comparison of sorts, but overall they're not similar. Lupul is a much better skater, has much better hands, and is more noticeably physical. Leivo is more of a hard working cycle player who gets shots off of the cycle (similar to Kule's 30 goal season), on top of that Leivo is actually good defensively. They both drive the net and play with "heart", but really there's a pretty massive talent disparity. You're really overrating Leivo if you're expecting him to put up more than .86 PPG in his first year of the AHL.

Which of these 30 2011 draft players would you take Leivo over? RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, Strome, Zib, Schiefe, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin, Baertschi, Beaulieu, Klefbom, Gibson, Ritchie, Jenner, Saad, Kucherov, Shaw, Murphy, Percy, Namestnikov, Armia, Cousins, Gaudreau, Palat, Pageau, Clendening, Rakell, Morrow, or Danault

I would take him over the bolded. Or at least say it's a toss up.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Lupul imo is an ambitious projection for leivo. I think leivo can be a 50pt guy with two way abilities and great on the cycle. On a good year, he might crack 60 too.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Lupul imo is an ambitious projection for leivo. I think leivo can be a 50pt guy with two way abilities and great on the cycle. On a good year, he might crack 60 too.

We probably could've NOT grossly overpaid Clarkson, with ridiculous term, and just waited a year for Leivo.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Which is pretty much what Lupul has been for his career.

Lupul on the leafs has been a 70-80 point player. Im sure that when many are projecting him to be as good as lupul, they dont mean 50 point lupul but 70-80 point lupul.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Without having to sift through the prospect board, anyone watch Finn and Brown tonight? I am looking at you people who don't have Leafs TV!

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Lupul on the leafs has been a 70-80 point player. Im sure that when many are projecting him to be as good as lupul, they dont mean 50 point lupul but 70-80 point lupul.

I don't think anybody is projecting him to score 70-80 points. They're just saying Leivo has similar attributes that Lupul possesses. Similar frame, cycling ability, shot, IQ.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Nonis had a great summer, but that signing is brutal. I mean if we think he is overpaid now... imagine in seven years.

We are the absolute kings of mis-casting players. Grabo, Stajan, Bozak, Clarkson...

he's a 3rd liner being paid like a 1st liner. We could've just had Leivo on an ELC next year.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Really? Cause you said "In no way are they similar", then you list off 2 similarities.

As I just stated I was talking about playing style not being a comparable, want me to go back and edit my post so you can comprehend the seemingly difficult mistake I made of the 2 words I missed out on? Bring your argument or trolling or whatever you argumentative internet people consider it elsewhere. People like you make sites like this unbearable to read at times.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
^^ Don't underrate Leivo's abilities. His hands are just as good as Lupul's. He has some slick mitts which I learned after I watched him a lot in Kitchener.

I can't believe some of the posts that I see on this website.

Lupul has then best mitts on the leafs, yes, better than Kadris.

And you think Leivo has better hands?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Leivo doesn't have Lupul's hands, but he does play a similar game. I would project him to play like Lupul before he joined the leafs.

20-30 goals 50 points

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
the thought of them even being equal is asinine.

Agreed. :laugh:

This is what always happens. People get far too excited about a player and their expectations go through the roof. I can understand people want to see a top tier offensive talent but we need to remember what Lupul has accomplished since becoming a Maple Leaf. He's dropped a pace of about a PPG while having injury problems.

Do you guys really see Leivo as having top line talent? I certainly don't, and his hands certainly aren't THAT good.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Frederik Bustier title of this thread is embarrassing to our prospect. It's not even accurate at all. Weird.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Came here to find an update on how our prospects did in the Subway Super Series. I see that Finn went -1 and Brown was even in a 5-2 loss. But instead I find this cluster-**** of posts about Leivo vs. Lupul & Gauthier vs. Getzlaf. :laugh:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The Frederik Bustier title of this thread is embarrassing to our prospect. It's not even accurate at all. Weird.

Agreed.
probably thought they were super clever, and making a sweet, funny thread title.

Somebody change that nonsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad