Pre-Game Talk: 11/1 vs Chicago

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think my position has been pretty consistent.

You're the one bending over backwards to justify placing a player that hasn't looked like he belongs in the NHL on the top line.
If we are being honest, neither Yamo, Pulju, Caggiula, Rattie look like NHLer as of late. Yamo and Pulju have star potential. Caggiula has 3LW grinder potential and Rattie is a good complimentary player. If Mclellan is a good coach, he would know his priority

Reactions: ivanlwan

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If we are being honestly, neither Yamo, Pulju, Caggiula, Rattie look like NHLer as of late. Yamo and Pulju have star potential. Caggiula has 3LW grinder potential and Rattie is a good complimentary player. If Mclellan is a good coach, he would know his priority

His priority is to win hockey games.

I think that Drake Caggiula is a pretty crap option for #1RW. I just think he's looked better than any of the available alternatives(sans Rattie injury) so far this year.

Not Todd's fault he's got nothing to work with

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
We're after equal opportunity. Drake's had more chances to play with McDavid than any right wingers currently on the team.

Rattie was called up and inserted into McDavids line despite being a career ahler it worked and he stuck.

Yam was inserted into his line and stuck despite being a rookie and not producing on the line.

Drake was given a long look each of the last 2 years with miserable results, but still has more time on his wing than anyone on the team besides drai or rnh.

JP has had minimal opportunity since joining the oilers with McDavid, yet he was drafted to be exactly what McDavid needed on his line. A good skating shot first rh rwer.

I agree drake has played well this year, in a bottom 6 role where he can focus on being an energy player. Why try and force him into the scoring role again when we have someone who's expected to develop into a scorer with fresh legs available who will be looking to make an impression so he isn't sent down?

It's not that people feel JP should be gifted an opportunity, it's that the coach is willing to try the same failed experiments over and over instead of trying something new. Same goes for his special teams choices.

It's no different than when the fans had to ask for rnh to be on McDavids wing for 2 seasons, only to finally have Todd give in, and what do you know, it worked.

I swear Todd would move Kassian up before giving Jp a shot, and it doesn't make sense.

I actually would like to see Kassian on McD's wing. He did play with the Sedins and had his most productive season. This was all just before his alcohol problems. I think he could fill a Maroon role up there. Or be what Lucic was supposed to be.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think my position has been pretty consistent.

Consistently nonsensical sure. Your argument is premised on the idea that JP needs to produce and work his way up like Caggiula did. Problem is: Caggiula hasn't produced in the bottom six. So the whole thing kinda falls apart.

You're the one bending over backwards to justify placing a player that hasn't looked like he belongs in the NHL on the top line.

It's the height of exaggeration, hyperbole or just plain ignorance to suggest JP doesn't belong in the NHL. He's inconsistent and has some warts in his game like any 20 year old. Which is why, again, it's incumbent on coaches to put him in a position where he can utilize his talents and where those flaws will be mitigated which, in this case, is not on a line with two department store mannequins.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
His priority is to win hockey games.

I think that Drake Caggiula is a pretty crap option for #1RW. I just think he's looked better than any of the available alternatives(sans Rattie injury) so far this year.

Not Todd's fault he's got nothing to work with
Many ways to win games. If Caggiula is producing on the bottom 6, why move him? Why fix something that's not broken? Why not shift the priority to Pulju and having him find chemistry with Drai or McDavid. They did have some good shifts together.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Uh oh. More “points with McDavid don’t count”?

;)

Yeah, for sure dude, that's what I'm saying.

Fans are actually this delusional.

Guess you've never heard of "hyperbole". Point is, since it obviously needs to be spelled out for you, Caggiula producing with McDavid won't prove anything about analytics or his worth as a player since pretty much everyone looks good with McDavid. Indeed, the only time Caggiula has produced is when he's been given cherry time, even as he has shown to be a guy who drags that line down.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Hoping for another solid Koskinen showing, not really stoked about Drake on the 1st line. Wouldn't mind Chiasson trying out with Nuge & McD, you never know who's going to be the next Maroon.

GO OILERS!

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Consistently nonsensical sure. Your argument is premised on the idea that JP needs to produce and work his way up like Caggiula did. Problem is: Caggiula hasn't produced in the bottom six. So the whole thing kinda falls apart.

He has produced better than any other option though which is all that matters in the who's next in line game.

It's the height of exaggeration, hyperbole or just plain ignorance to suggest JP doesn't belong in the NHL. He's inconsistent and has some warts in his game like any 20 year old. Which is why, again, it's incumbent on coaches to put him in a position where he can utilize his talents and where those flaws will be mitigated which, in this case, is not on a line with two department store mannequins.

You damn well know that this isn't what I meant so if you're going to go down this strawman road I'm done replying. Have a nice day.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
If Drake Caggiula can produce with those guys so can Puljujarvi, and if he can't then he shouldn't be playing even higher in the lineup now should he?

Drake doesn't have the skill or finish to play with McD, as we will see tonight. It'll be 2 periods of banging my head against a wall, followed by Drai being moved up in his place for the 3rd.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Drake doesn't have the skill or finish to play with McD, as we will see tonight. It'll be 2 periods of banging my head against a wall, followed by Drai being moved up in his place for the 3rd.

Entirely possible. Really they should try Chiasson there but I get why the coaches don't want to break that line up.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Its pretty awesome actually.

Soon Talbot will be taking a long long seat.
Nope. Wouldn't be surprised if the Oil lose this one.

No doubt you'll blame it on everyone else on the ice.

I hope Kosk does well and is a competent back-up but I'm not convinced yet. I think he was 'lucky last game that the puck hit him because of his size.

We'll see..

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure it is.

I know you're married to your corsi from last season but 2017 is ancient history dude. Caggiula has been better than anyone else in the bottom 6 over the last few games so he's getting his chance. This isn't complicated.

Oh look you're moving the goalposts again. Before you said he was better than "any other option' which, on the basis of the roster as a whole, simply isn't true.

This is even more hilarious since he was absolutely terrible in the last game. So I have no idea how you're evaluating players because it's clearly not "what they are doing on the ice".

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I hope Kosk does well and is a competent back-up but I'm not convinced yet. I think he was 'lucky last game that the puck hit him because of his size.

However he does today it's going to take longer to draw strong conclusions. However, I'm not too surprised if he manages to win the spot over or at least challenge Talbot well, but in any case it's going to be only the 2nd game tonight.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Sure it is.

I know you're married to your corsi from last season but 2017 is ancient history dude. Caggiula has been better than anyone else in the bottom 6 over the last few games so he's getting his chance. This isn't complicated.
I actually don't disagree that Caggs has been really good the last while..in the bottom 6.

So why change it? Leave him there where he's having success and put JP on the 1st for a trial. Not hard to switch if it isn't working.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00