Pre-Game Talk: 11/1 vs Chicago

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I actually don't disagree that Caggs has been really good the last while..in the bottom 6.

So why change it? Leave him there where he's having success and put JP on the 1st for a trial. Not hard to switch if it isn't working.

The main reason why I was hoping to see Pulju on the 1st line was because he played a great game last year in a bit similar conditions. Yeah not exactly the same, but I hope Puljujarvi comes back with a lot of energy and rage to show and last time he did very well in the 1st line. I'm just afraid that Lucic and Strome are not very good matches offensively, but we'll see soon.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Many ways to win games. If Caggiula is producing on the bottom 6, why move him? Why fix something that's not broken? Why not shift the priority to Pulju and having him find chemistry with Drai or McDavid. They did have some good shifts together.

My biggest complaint about McLEllan, the over blending of lines. We saw Caggs be productive exactly where we needed him to be productive in the bottom 6. But here we go again, the McBlender ramps up killing any opportunity for the bottom 6 or top 6 to create chemistry and for the linemates to learn eachothers’ game.

On Pulju, can we stop pretending as if he wasn’t given a chance with Drai, last year it was a valid criticism. In this very very short season so far, we’ve see Pulju tried with Drai, and we’ll probably see it again. With Tmacs blendering we’ll probably see Pulju on McDavids line again too. If Pulju has ONE good game on the 3rd line showing he can contribute even without scoring, he’ll be moved up ASAP. I think Puljus destiny is in Puljus hands. We don’t need to gift him anything.

Reactions: oXo Cube

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The jury is still out on Koskinen. He did have a good game last time out though, but there’s as much of a chance of him blowing it tonight as there is of him stealing the game for us.

It’ll come down to the Oilers playing the same tight in zone defence that saw us win 3 games in a row. Our PK was absolute shit last game, let’s see how quickly these Oilers can learn from their mistakes. I’m optimistic cause this team reminds of of 16-17 Oilers where it seemed the group had a real knack for learning from mistakes.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I waited very patiently for Gravel to get back in. Garrison hasn’t impressed and the Oilers take a loss. Where the hell is my Gravel!?

Reactions: MessierII

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You seriously need it explained to you why the coaches aren't going to break the second line up right now?

Just give this one up man.

You asked for superior alternatives. I named them. Now you're galloping off on a different tangent.

You know who else I think would be better on that RW than Cagguila and wouldn't involve breaking up the second line?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
On Pulju, can we stop pretending as if he wasn’t given a chance with Drai, last year it was a valid criticism. In this very very short season so far, we’ve see Pulju tried with Drai, and we’ll probably see it again. With Tmacs blendering we’ll probably see Pulju on McDavids line again too. If Pulju has ONE good game on the 3rd line showing he can contribute even without scoring, he’ll be moved up ASAP. I think Puljus destiny is in Puljus hands. We don’t need to gift him anything.

Pulju needs to have a good game to be moved up, but Cagguila can **** the bed and still get a bump. Makes sense.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
On Pulju, can we stop pretending as if he wasn’t given a chance with Drai, last year it was a valid criticism.

Maybe we should stop pretending it's been a long enough look. They've played together some 26 minutes this season, which is not really that much. Especially as part of it was with Caggiula, who wasn't a good match according to what I understood. It takes some time to grow some chemistry, which can't be overlooked. At least they've scored a goal or two in that time, but yeah in earlier seasons they've had some more productive times together. So our view in that sense is a bit different, as I believe often the players simply manage to play better if they're stick together for more than one game in a row.

Other than that I agree with many things in your post and also agree that if Pulju plays well enough he'll get his chance again.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
You asked for superior alternatives. I named them. Now you're galloping off on a different tangent.

You know who else I think would be better on that RW than Cagguila and wouldn't involve breaking up the second line?

I merely gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you knew without being told which options were actual options.

What's actually happening here is that you've misinterpreted my position right from the start, and now that you look kinda silly you're throwing a fit and trying to deflect instead of just owning it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I merely gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you knew without being told which options were actual options.

Yeah I mean, you wouldn't want to reward players that are doing well when you could throw a boat anchor on a line with your best player, that's just smrt coaching.

What's actually happening here is that you've misinterpreted my position right from the start, and now that you look kinda silly you're throwing a fit and trying to deflect instead of just owning it.

"You took the things I said at face value instead of gleaning a different meaning from them that I may have intended but didn't express. Pointing out my poor communication and repeated falsehoods is deflection."

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pulju needs to have a good game to be moved up, but Cagguila can **** the bed and still get a bump. Makes sense.

Caggs had a good little run there. He produced and he played with enough effort to draw penalties. How anyone could have watched the last couple games and come away with the impression that Caggs shit the bed is beyond me.

But hey people watched that Pittsburgh game and thought our team was still shit somehow. I saw that loss and knew they’d go on a run. So I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe we should stop pretending it's been a long enough look. They've played together some 26 minutes this season, which is not really that much. Especially as part of it was with Caggiula, who wasn't a good match according to what I understood. It takes some time to grow some chemistry, which can't be overlooked. At least they've scored a goal or two in that time, but yeah in earlier seasons they've had some more productive times together. So our view in that sense is a bit different, as I believe often the players simply manage to play better if they're stick together for more than one game in a row.

Other than that I agree with many things in your post and also agree that if Pulju plays well enough he'll get his chance again.

The season is very very young. Don’t stress yourself out, plenty of the time for the McBlender to do its eventual thing and get Pulju back up for a try. But Pulju could help his cause, away from the puck he doesn’t contribute much, I see the same as the coaches in this regard, it’s a fix that is 100% in Puljus hands to fix.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Caggs had a good little run there. He produced and he played with enough effort to draw penalties. How anyone could have watched the last couple games and come away with the impression that Caggs **** the bed is beyond me.

But hey people watched that Pittsburgh game and thought our team was still **** somehow. I saw that loss and knew they’d go on a run. So I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised.

I'm talking specifically about the last game where he got creamed and still got rewarded with McDavid time, where he's staying despite being that rare beast that is actually worse with McDavid than away from him (and who actually seems to drag McDavid down).

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yeah I mean, you wouldn't want to reward players that are doing well when you could throw a boat anchor on a line with your best player, that's just smrt coaching.

"You took the things I said at face value instead of gleaning a different meaning from them that I may have intended but didn't express. Pointing out my poor communication and repeated falsehoods is deflection."

Well you're the only one that seemed to have an issue with understanding the points I was making so... :dunno:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The season is very very young. Don’t stress yourself out, plenty of the time for the McBlender to do its eventual thing and get Pulju back up for a try. But Pulju could help his cause, away from the puck he doesn’t contribute much, I see the same as the coaches in this regard, it’s a fix that is 100% in Puljus hands to fix.

Don't worry, I don't. I do feel working away from puck may have been stressed a bit too much, as there's been long periods when he's been praised over the same thing. It's also hard to think that was too bad before the demotion to the 4th line as accroding to EJ that was actually Pulju's strength. But I'm not too surprised if he struggled playing on the 4th line.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Well you're the only one that seemed to have an issue with understanding the points I was making so... :dunno:

Again: even if I took your point to mean what it meant in your head and not what you actually expressed, it still doesn't hold up. And you seem to be confused as to what I'm arguing here, even though I've been pretty clear: Drake Caggiula is a worse option for the top 6 than Puljujarvi. I don't particularly care that he has as many goals as Zack Kassian, I don't believe putting bottom sixers with top tier talent when they have a track record of dragging that talent down is smart coaching even if it wasn't immediately after a game where Cagguila was on the ice for 2 GA and in the box for the third GWG.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm talking specifically about the last game where he got creamed and still got rewarded with McDavid time, where he's staying despite being that rare beast that is actually worse with McDavid than away from him (and who actually seems to drag McDavid down).

What makes more sense? Assess a players game and contributions over a couple games or assess it over a period or two. Take the larger sample size and it’s no mystery why the coaches think maybe he’s worth more of a look. I’ve stated before that long term I don’t think Caggs is going to work on the top line, but with Rattie injured, the 2nd line doing alright and seemingly building some chemistry, Pulju coming back into the game with extended time off and issues in his game he needs to focus on besides scoring, Kass not being a top 6 option at all, its pretty obvious to me why Caggs is getting another shot even though it’s not the ideal situation.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What makes more sense? Assess a players game and contributions over a couple games or assess it over a period or two. Take the larger sample size and it’s no mystery why the coaches think maybe he’s worth more of a look. I’ve stated before that long term I don’t think Caggs is going to work on the top line, but with Rattie injured, the 2nd line doing alright and seemingly building some chemistry, Pulju coming back into the game with extended time off and issues in his game he needs to focus on besides scoring, Kass not being a top 6 option at all, its pretty obvious to me why Caggs is getting another shot even though it’s not the ideal situation.

I understand why they are doing it, I happen to think it's a dumb idea.

Reactions: GameChanger

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Again: even if I took your point to mean what it meant in your head and not what you actually expressed, it still doesn't hold up. And you seem to be confused as to what I'm arguing here, even though I've been pretty clear: Drake Caggiula is a worse option for the top 6 than Puljujarvi. I don't particularly care that he has as many goals as Zack Kassian, I don't believe putting bottom sixers with top tier talent when they have a track record of dragging that talent down is smart coaching even if it wasn't immediately after a game where Cagguila was on the ice for 2 GA and in the box for the third GWG.

And my point, like it has been from the start, is that if Puljujarvi wants to play in the top 6 he can start by playing better than Drake freaking Caggiula, which really shouldn't be that difficult for someone of his readily apparent talent.

Until he manages that he can stay below him on the depth chart.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
And my point, like it has been from the start, is that if Puljujarvi wants to play in the top 6 he can start by playing better than Drake freaking Caggiula, which really shouldn't be that difficult for someone of his readily apparent talent.

Until he manages that he can stay below him on the depth chart.

Here let me cherry pick some numbers to tell you, you are wrong.
:ha:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I understand why they are doing it, I happen to think it's a dumb idea.

There’s valid reasons as to why it’s happening, so why not just chill and see how it works out. If your assessment is correct that Caggs is going to shit the bed with McDavid (good chances it happens) it’s not going to last long anyways.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Their options are breaking up Leon's line(Rieder/Chiasson), playing someone above where they should be(Caggiula/Kassian) or playing someone who should be in the AHL(Yam/Pulju).

Going with Caggiula is simply because there's no better option.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2