Pre-Game Talk: 11/1 vs Chicago

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The thing I found interesting is how he said "some players have more rope than others" can't rewatch to get the exact quote right now (at work), but what reason for this could there be other than playing favorites? Right after he said it he kinda looked like he wanted to put his foot in his mouth.
Of course some players have more rope than others.

Every coach ever in the history of the game would tell you the same.

Or do you want McDavid to get benched in the 3rd when he has a turnover that leads to a goal against?

Seriously, every teams fans has the exact same complaint about their coach sooner or later “veteran x doesn’t get held to the same accountability as rookie y”

Every coach does it.

Reactions: Digger12 and ujju2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

giphy.gif

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Surprised that Koskinen is starting. Cudos to TM, I think its the proper thing to do. I hope Koskinen does well.

Dont like Cagguila on the first line. Yamamoto wasnt really effective there though. Not the way I would do it though.

Lets win baby.

Reactions: McCombo and Cypress

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Of course some players have more rope than others.

Every coach ever in the history of the game would tell you the same.

Or do you want McDavid to get benched in the 3rd when he has a turnover that leads to a goal against?

Seriously, every teams fans has the exact same complaint about their coach sooner or later “veteran x doesn’t get held to the same accountability as rookie y”

Every coach does it.

McDavid gets more rope because he produces.

What we're talking about is how two players who don't produce or, in some cases, actually harm the team, get more rope than others. Maybe all coaches have their pets but it's still worth commenting on.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
oof im going to this game...gonna have to watch in horror as Cagguila dismantles our first line.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
For all the talk of accountability on this forum right now (new buzz word it seems).

The two RWers who have performed the best this season so far have been Caggiula and chiasson. They’re getting their shot in the top 6.

QFT.

Those hating on Caggiula are ignoring the fact that this season has seen some of his best play... he is outplaying both Yamamoto and JP. Historically, he's been shit with McDavid, but this season may be different and he warrants the opportunity. It's temp until Ty Rattie gets back.

Reactions: ujju2

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't understand why the Oilers are wasting time on Cagguila on the top line who will eventually be on waivers in a matter of time. Pulju on the other hand is an incredible asset to the team. Building the chemistry between Pulju and McDavid/Drai is much more important. This team is a contender if Pulju reaches his potential

Reactions: ivanlwan

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Really don’t understand the idea to promote Drake onto that top line.. and why put Jesse on a line that he’s done nothing on the whole year? Just to watch him fail again and scratch him again? f*** me, Todd is stupid af.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
At full health the Oilers lines should be:

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Lucic - Strome - Caggiula
Khaira- Brodziak - Kassian

Someone like Malone up to sit in the PB. Yamamoto and Puljujarvi in Bakersfield and ready to be called up as depth scorers in the event a top 6 winger is injured.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Really don’t understand the idea to promote Drake onto that top line.. and why put Jesse on a line that he’s done nothing on the whole year? Just to watch him fail again and scratch him again? **** me, Todd is stupid af.

Because Caggiula has largely played well to start the year while Puljujarvi hasn't?

This board doesn't want accountability like it claims it just wants the gifted opportunities to go to it's golden boys.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Come on. Coaches say this a lot. Hate McLellan if you want, but it's common in a lot of sports

I actually defended Mclellan a few days back to not mess with a winning lineup when posters were screaming to have JP back in even though they were on a three game win streak with the forward group they had for those games.

I just wasn't a fan of the way he worded things yesterday.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Because Caggiula has largely played well to start the year while Puljujarvi hasn't?

This board doesn't want accountability like it claims it just wants the gifted opportunities to go to it's golden boys.
He was doing well on that line, I agree. Why ruin it? Let him stay on that line where he’s been effective.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
QFT.

Those hating on Caggiula are ignoring the fact that this season has seen some of his best play... he is outplaying both Yamamoto and JP. Historically, he's been **** with McDavid, but this season may be different and he warrants the opportunity. It's temp until Ty Rattie gets back.

This time Charlie Brown will kick the football!

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
By that logic we should leave Jesse on the scratch list because he hasn't done well anywhere.
He has done well with Connor in the past? Or would you not agree with that? My point is, if Jesse is going to get back into the lineup, why is the coach putting him right back into the spot where he failed and got scratched?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
He has done well with Connor in the past? Or would you not agree with that? My point is, if Jesse is going to get back into the lineup, why is the coach putting him right back into the spot where he failed and got scratched?

He should accept some responsibilty for his play, bear down, and get some results in a bottom 6 role before being elevated into a prime role next to our best player.

You know, like Drake Caggiula has done, and Yamamoto(though in the end he failed) did before Drake.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: