Pre-Game Talk: 11/1 vs Chicago

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
If they draw in then who sits? Yamo? Kassian? Chiasson? IMO Chiasson of the 3 has earned the right to stay in the lineup the most.

Agreed, Chiasson deserves to stay in the lineup. I feel like he is better suited for the bottom 6 but there is no denying he is a good fit with Drai and Rieder for now.

Puljujarvi needs to start playing again so I'd take out Yamamoto for a game or two. I like the kid, he's tenacious on the puck and draws so many penalties. It's also obvious McLellan loves the kid, he's been a fixture in the top 6 despite only generating 2 measly points. I want to see McLellan grant Puljujarvi the same treatment instead of destroying the kid's confidence.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Now is the time to give JP a shot with Nuge and McDavid before rattie gets back. He can't be that much worse than cagguila and Yamamoto, so what's to lose?

Alternatively I would be ok to see him play with drai and Reider and slot Chiasson in there. TMac?

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Really important to bounce back with a win. All too frequently last year one loss would lead to two and often three or four. Before you know it the season is out of hand.

Still obviously very early in the season, but both times the oilers have lost “for the first time” they’ve followed it up with a second loss.

It’s almost impossible to gain ground if every time you lose one you end up losing 2 or 3.

Blessed with another opportunity where an opponent plays the night before in Vancouver and needs to travel to Edmonton. Need to take advantage of that this time.

Reactions: MessierII

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Now is the time to give JP a shot with Nuge and McDavid before rattie gets back. He can't be that much worse than cagguila and Yamamoto, so what's to lose?

Alternatively I would be ok to see him play with drai and Reider and slot Chiasson in there. TMac?

Sure he can. He can be useless on the forecheck, lose neutral zone battles and line change for no reason. What got him demoted

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Did he say somerhing?

Just caught the snippet on the 1260 intro. He said something along the lines of "The coach doesn't necessarily always make the decision to adjust the lines moving the players up and down the lineup or taking players out of the lineup. The players do that based on their play".

Again, not verbatim but that was the gist of it.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Just caught the snippet on the 1260 intro. He said something along the lines of "The coach doesn't necessarily always make the decision to adjust the lines moving the players up and down the lineup or taking players out of the lineup. The players do that based on their play".

I am guessing Chia's son did not dump it in hard enough.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If Pulju is scatched again, TMac will have some explaining to do. He can't use the "gotta keep the winning lineup together" excuse anymore.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

except the coach is the sole evaluator of how the players are playing and for whatever reason he sees things way differently than everyone else.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
except the coach is the sole evaluator of how the players are playing and for whatever reason he sees things way differently than everyone else.

Really weird comment by Mclellan. Fancy way of saying "I make the decisions on who plays and who doesn't, but don't blame me."

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really weird comment by Mclellan. Fancy way of saying "I make the decisions on who plays and who doesn't, but don't blame me."
Come on. Coaches say this a lot. Hate McLellan if you want, but it's common in a lot of sports

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Sure he can. He can be useless on the forecheck, lose neutral zone battles and line change for no reason. What got him demoted

He might not be good there, but neither are yamamoto or cagguila. Either one on the ice on the top line feels almost like being a player down. I like them lower in the lineup, though yamo might benefit more from AHL time. Not saying Jesse will be better, but the bar isn't that high.

Sounds like rattie will be back pretty soon anyway.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

The thing I found interesting is how he said "some players have more rope than others" can't rewatch to get the exact quote right now (at work), but what reason for this could there be other than playing favorites? Right after he said it he kinda looked like he wanted to put his foot in his mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: