GDT: 10/4/19 Home Opener NBCSCA 7:30pm Sharks vs Vegas EK65 will play

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
One positive is Ferraro got his 1st NHL point and the rookies all looked pretty good. The big guns better wake up.

Put in Brodzinski. He's got a nice shot and we need goals. Can't be much more useless than Gambrell, Karlsson, Radil...

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Who knows the actual team dynamic, but I do think the sharks bench was somewhat quiet tonight. Kane and Thornton bring that louder edge, but maybe being overtly emotional is over-rated.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
One positive is Ferraro got his 1st NHL point and the rookies all looked pretty good. The big guns better wake up.
I don't think it matters if they do. This system is so easy to exploit and it shows. If we lose tomorrow night in the same fashion we need a coaching change.

Reactions: Sandisfan

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If I’m Plattner and I invested a boatload of money in a few players this offseason and I see this, I’m telling Wilson that he better start looking for replacements now because you’re firing him or I am.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If I’m Plattner and I invested a boatload of money in a few players this offseason and I see this, I’m telling Wilson that he better start looking for replacements now because you’re firing him or I am.
So, 10 games into the season what does our record need to be to warrant a PDB firing? I doubt PDB gets fired after 2 games but is 10 too few? Maybe 20?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
So, 10 games into the season what does our record need to be to warrant a PDB firing? I doubt PDB gets fired after 2 games but is 10 too few? Maybe 20?
10 is probably right, I said 5 but it's probably 10. That's enough time to shake off the rust and establish a style. If they are .500 I'd probably fire everyone because there is nothing to lose

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA

I'd say if we are 5-15 or worse at game 20, PDB gets canned. But I do think we will turn things around and be the west wild card, and face vegas in rd1

ktice

Mar 10, 2019
What's missing is an offensive system focused on quick passes and attacking, instead of cycle and point shots. Two of the best offensive defensemen in the world and we relegate them to shooting 100 feet out blindly without any aim.

Exactly. The system is set up to generate low-probabality chances. It also happens to have a lot of risk baked in on the defensive side. It's all around complete garbage. PDB needs to go.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Exactly. The system is set up to generate low-probabality chances. It also happens to have a lot of risk baked in on the defensive side. It's all around complete garbage. PDB needs to go.

This is what I don't get. The defensive side is generating so much risk you would think we would be generating a lot of pressure in the offensive zone and taking risky chances. But nope .. we are consistently garbage on both sides.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

penguins fired Johnston and hired Sullivan about 25 games into the season that they won the cup. I believe they were 15-10 at the time. I think the Blues fired Yeo 19 games into last season. They were 7-9-3 to be exact. If Wilson doesn’t sack up then this season will be a lost one in a year that we don’t have a f***ing first rounder

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There is no chance that DeBoer gets fired at any point this season. You don’t sign a guy to an extension and let him bring back his old buddy from Windsor onto your staff in order to fire him in year 1 of the extension.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Yurtaykin was probably the best forward for the Sharks. That shorthanded goal might be the least hustle I've seen out of Hertl. I'm sure he was tired, but man..

Where's the core been? Why are all the players not hitting when they have plenty of chances to? The Sharks make it very easy on the Knights, who buy in to their system and actually play with a physical edge. Kane can't be the only one..

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There is no chance that DeBoer gets fired at any point this season. You don’t sign a guy to an extension and let him bring back his old buddy from Windsor onto your staff in order to fire him in year 1 of the extension.
I disagree. I think you sign him to an extension with certain expectations. If those expectations are not met, you either admit your mistake and fire him or you wait for the owner to fire you.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Team looks super out of sync with each other. I, again, have trouble blaming the system when Karlsson and Burns can’t seem to handle the puck or pass into people’s skates. Our stars aren’t confused about the system, they’re forcing plays that aren’t there and playing like garbage. I know everyone wants to blame Deboer — maybe the blame is better placed on DW for forcing them to play so many rookies in preseason — but right now it doesn’t feel like a system problem. Doesn't help that Vegas lives in our heads.

A few optimistic things that I see:

Kane - Hertl - Yurtaykin could be a great line.

Meier - Couture - Labanc can similarly be a really strong line, considering Labanc has outplayed his line mates and that can’t be the case for long.

Sorenson looks pretty good, and once they find a good right wing (Brodzinski needs another chance) on Joe’s right wing, I think that can be a great third line.

There’s a version of the fourth line that has both Radil/Bergmann on it which could be really potent. But I’m not holding my breath.

Ferraro looks good and like he’ll get better. I really hope Heed plays tomorrow and plays like he can... because a Ferrari - Heed line could be real potent.

..our PP still looks like total garbage and while I still blame that on our stars playing line AHLers, I’m nervous. Spott needs to be fired last year.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Was that a joke? Did Deboer actually blame integrating the young guys for the team’s poor play? Am I hearing that right?

Deboer is a p***y and always has been. He won't ever call out players or take responsibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad