GDT: 10/4/19 Home Opener NBCSCA 7:30pm Sharks vs Vegas EK65 will play

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Exactly. The system is set up to generate low-probabality chances. It also happens to have a lot of risk baked in on the defensive side. It's all around complete garbage. PDB needs to go.

Tip goals are low percentage plays and there's huge risk of it getting blocked and leading to an odd man rush the other way. It's such a dumb system. Why can't they try to generate shots from high danger areas like the slot like normal teams? Taking shots from the point is not inherently bad because sometimes it's the best option. But that can't be your main option all the time. We've been complaining about this dumbass system for years now.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
But last season our system wasn’t only point shots... in fact, we scored off the rush and on quick counter-attacks all year. It’s why we scored so many goals. It’s why Pavelski was starting to feel like he was playing a different system than everyone else (and started adapting too).

I think it’s easy to blame the coach but I didn’t see a single star player do a good thing this game. Where is Hertl? Where is Meier? They were awful.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Everyone is pointing fingers at the coach, even though the players played like garbage.
The players played like crap in a poor system that sets them up for failure. These past two had all the same blunders and gaffes as last season minus the scoring. It's both personnel and coaching.

Reactions: ktice and mooncalf

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I disagree. I think you sign him to an extension with certain expectations. If those expectations are not met, you either admit your mistake and fire him or you wait for the owner to fire you.

Based on the way that the owner talks about the GM, and the moves that he allows him to make like promoting his own son to head of scouting, the GM has a ton of job security.

Based on the way that the GM talks about the coach, the move that the GM made by signing him to an extension 1 year before his previous contract was up, and the moves that the GM allows th to make like bringing back/retaining his old buddies in Boughner and Spott, the coach has a ton of job security.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
There is no chance that DeBoer gets fired at any point this season. You don’t sign a guy to an extension and let him bring back his old buddy from Windsor onto your staff in order to fire him in year 1 of the extension.
The Wild fired their GM a little more than a year into his contract. I wouldn’t rule it out.

There aren’t many other scape goats for DW at this point.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Based on the way that the owner talks about the GM, and the moves that he allows him to make like promoting his own son to head of scouting, the GM has a ton of job security.

Based on the way that the GM talks about the coach, the move that the GM made by signing him to an extension 1 year before his previous contract was up, and the moves that the GM allows th to make like bringing back/retaining his old buddies in Boughner and Spott, the coach has a ton of job security.

Sure. The job is secure till it isn't. In the corporate word you will eventually run out of people to blame. PDB cannot generate offensive with 2 of the best offensive D-men in the league. What do you think serves DW better: Firing PDB early in the season and giving the team a chance to bounce back OR missing the playoffs entirely?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sure. The job is secure till it isn't. In the corporate word you will eventually run out of people to blame. PDB cannot generate offensive with 2 of the best offensive D-men in the league. What do you think serves DW better: Firing PDB early in the season and giving the team a chance to bounce back OR missing the playoffs entirely?

The job was secure for DW and the coach after the 2013-2014 meltdown and it was still secure for DW after 2014-2015. Remember we’re coming off a conference final appearance in 2018-2019 so no matter what we do this season, the optics won’t look any worse at the end of the 2019-2020 season than they looked at the end of the 2014-2015 season. And that season didn’t get the GM fired.

Bottom line, there is a ton of job security around here. From DW’s perspective if he purely wants job security, he might be better off waiting until the end of the season and firing the coach. He gets 1 scapegoat before he’s on the hot seat and it’s best to wait before you use it.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
This is why I wasn’t really feeling Couture for Captain. He’s not a driver of play anymore and is often the biggest culprit of the guys he speaks on. He was horrible in both games.
And Pavs at this point was a driver of play? Also I think Couture was including himself in that statement. I appreciate his honesty and that he doesnt just give the go to PC answers.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The job was secure for DW and the coach after the 2013-2014 meltdown and it was still secure for DW after 2014-2015. Remember we’re coming off a conference final appearance in 2018-2019 so no matter what we do this season, the optics won’t look any worse at the end of the 2019-2020 season than they looked at the end of the 2014-2015 season. And that season didn’t get the GM fired.

Bottom line, there is a ton of job security around here. From DW’s perspective if he purely wants job security, he might be better off waiting until the end of the season and firing the coach. He gets 1 scapegoat before he’s on the hot seat and it’s best to wait before you use it.

If DW does not do that, then he deserves to be fired. I don't think a single Sharks fan here would say that we outplayed Vegas last post-season. We were totally out-played by Vegas the post-season before that. He has seen us get humilated this pre-season and first 2 games of the regular season. A team we are very likely to play in 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. We have enough of a sample size that we know that PDB is not going to change his style to fix the Vegas mis-match.

If DW does not see that, OR do anything to fix it, he does not deserve his job any more than PDB does.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
And Pavs at this point was a driver of play? Also I think Couture was including himself in that statement. I appreciate his honesty and that he doesnt just give the go to PC answers.

Of course not. But Pavelski was also much better with the media than Couture was. Pavelski never hopped on the bus without paying his fare and then called out other people for being passengers.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is why I wasn’t really feeling Couture for Captain. He’s not a driver of play anymore and is often the biggest culprit of the guys he speaks on. He was horrible in both games.
Huh? I read that comment completely the other way. Couture blaming the entire team, including himself, for the crap effort and result on the ice. I don't think he has ever shied away from taking responsibility.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3