GDT: 10/4/19 Home Opener NBCSCA 7:30pm Sharks vs Vegas EK65 will play

Nick O

Nov 27, 2017
Is anyone here like me and not really concerned with how the first 2 games went? I normally consider the first 15 games of the regular season warm up/practice, but this year, with all the open roster spots, new team identity etc., I really don't think we will know what we have until game 20, or even later. I am totally ok with this scenario, especially considering the team that won the cup last year was imo less skilled than the group we have, and had a terrible record until January. Our young players have looked very capable of being NHLers, and the veterans just need to tweak their game to get in more regular season form. At Christmas (or sometime after Thanksgiving at least) we will know what kind of team we have, but at this point it is way to soon to start thinking we have to trade/fire anyone...

Reactions: Jargon and Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Is anyone here like me and not really concerned with how the first 2 games went? I normally consider the first 15 games of the regular season warm up/practice, but this year, with all the open roster spots, new team identity etc., I really don't think we will know what we have until game 20, or even later. I am totally ok with this scenario, especially considering the team that won the cup last year was imo less skilled than the group we have, and had a terrible record until January. Our young players have looked very capable of being NHLers, and the veterans just need to tweak their game to get in more regular season form. At Christmas (or sometime after Thanksgiving at least) we will know what kind of team we have, but at this point it is way to soon to start thinking we have to trade/fire anyone...
same for the most part. i mean it's not great to not have sure things, but the team has a lot of work ahead of it and we'll see the payoff of that work. glad to not be playing the knights for a while lol

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yup.

Nick O

Nov 27, 2017
Said another way, the Sharks have completed 2.4% of the season. Is that sample size nearly enough to make drastic decisions?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The team who won the Cup last year fired their coach before Thanksgiving.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
What that almost sounds to me like is that he did not like that DW gave him so many kids on the roster. Blame the kids, and indirectly DW. Can't be him not doing his job.

Except that the Sharks top guys have been their worst players in these two games. They are fanning on pucks, missing easy passes, Missing the net by 10 feet, falling down. etc etc. They look like a bunch of 4th liners out there. And our Dmen are looking like they are all rookies. Vlasic has been absolutely brutal. Ferraro has probally been our best Dman in these 1st 2 games and he hasn't been that good. Vegas is a very good team but this had more to do with the Sharks play than it had to do with Vegas. Sharks would have got clobbered by Ottawa.

Reactions: socalsharksfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Except that the Sharks top guys have been their worst players in these two games. They are fanning on pucks, missing easy passes, Missing the net by 10 feet, falling down. etc etc. They look like a bunch of 4th liners out there. And our Dmen are looking like they are all rookies. Vlasic has been absolutely brutal. Ferraro has probally been our best Dman in these 1st 2 games and he hasn't been that good. Vegas is a very good team but this had more to do with the Sharks play than it had to do with Vegas. Sharks would have got clobbered by Ottawa.
Hertl and Meier have been mostly invisible too which is a recipe for losing. No chemistry out there so far which is to be expected.

Nick O

Nov 27, 2017
The team who won the Cup last year fired their coach before Thanksgiving.

Yeah, but I don't believe the sharks have a coaching problem. I believe the problem is players not playing to their potential. The vets are still in preseason mode and the rookies are trying to figure out WTF is happening out there. When both groups can figure their stuff out, this team will look like what I believe is a decent hockey team.

Reactions: Phu

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Deboer should be fired if they give up more than 3 goals to the Ducks. That lineup is horrible. It makes our lineup look like the Leafs and Lightning.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I've never been so pessimistic about our chances. There are too many holes in the roster, too many question marks filling them, and even more questionable options waiting their turn. With two sieves in net, even scraping into the playoffs seems doubtful.

DW has done an incredible job keeping this franchise in the Cup hunt, but I fear he's run out of options.

Talk me off the ledge.

Nick O

Nov 27, 2017
I've never been so pessimistic about our chances. There are too many holes in the roster, too many question marks filling them, and even more questionable options waiting their turn. With two sieves in net, even scraping into the playoffs seems doubtful.

DW has done an incredible job keeping this franchise in the Cup hunt, but I fear he's run out of options.

Talk me off the ledge.

Step off the ledge until game 20 at least! We won't know what we have until then.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What that almost sounds to me like is that he did not like that DW gave him so many kids on the roster. Blame the kids, and indirectly DW. Can't be him not doing his job.
You guys are reading way too much into his comment. I think he's saying it more matter of fact. That it's just part of the "process" not that it's a burden. There is almost always a learning curve integrating rookies especially as many as they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick O

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
You guys are reading way too much into his comment. I think he's saying it more matter of fact. There is almost always a learning curve integrating rookies especially as many as they are.

and considering they aren't all that good. Ferraro being the only exception

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I saw the score and wanted to see how bad Martin Jones was. The sharks seem to be allowing alot of high danger shots on net and hanging jones out to dry. Jones should have had the Carrier goal 100% but he also made a ton of high danger saves too. I felt like the sharks were doing this alot last year. Lots of scoring but hanging jones up to dry.

Reactions: Sandisfan and ktice

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
and considering they aren't all that good. Ferraro being the only exception
I don't know what you were watching but the rookies were the best skaters on the ice outside of Jones. Bergmann and Yourtalkin both look like they will be able to contribute quite a bit once the veterans pull their heads out of their asses. Yourtalkin especially looks like he will work very well with Kane on Hertls line. Kid has great hands and much better speed than I thought coming in. He's also far tougher hanging onto the puck with Defenders on him than Donkey was. He also made some very good plays defensively last night. As long as the Vets get their shit together and the team starts actually defending, I think they'll be fine.
I saw the score and wanted to see how bad Martin Jones was. The sharks seem to be allowing alot of high danger shots on net and hanging jones out to dry. Jones should have had the Carrier goal 100% but he also made a ton of high danger saves too. I felt like the sharks were doing this alot last year. Lots of scoring but hanging jones up to dry.
Yeah Jones was great both games other than first goal last night. His glove hand especially looks better so far this season. Must have worked on it quite a bit in the offseason because I can't remember it looking this strong at any point prior.

Reactions: Nick O

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
When guys like Burns and Couture who have played for Deboer for a few years are saying the same things as last year after a loss then it’s time for a change. The rookies were the only ones in position yesterday. That is very alarming. The sooner Deboer goes the better. I don’t want to see Wilson have to make another speech in the locker room again this year

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
I actually thought the sharks played much better this game, especially the rookies.

First goal allowed by Jones was really weak. Eliminate the short-handed goals against and the game looks a whole lot different. I'll blame the veterans on the power play - they're trying to do too much.

Reactions: Phu

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna

Talk me off the ledge.

Bring up Evan Weinger. The missing link.

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
Last year’s playoffs was the only time Gambrell figures out how to win against Vegas:

As soon as it appears the Sharks will gain puck possession in their own zone, have the weak-side winger immediately skate to the opponents blue line and look for passing lanes for the breakaway. It’s how he scored last year and the only way to keep Vegas defense to play an honest game. They play very aggressive if they don’t have to respect the quick transition breakaway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad