GDT: 10/4/19 Home Opener NBCSCA 7:30pm Sharks vs Vegas EK65 will play

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yeah, but I don't believe the sharks have a coaching problem. I believe the problem is players not playing to their potential. The vets are still in preseason mode and the rookies are trying to figure out WTF is happening out there. When both groups can figure their stuff out, this team will look like what I believe is a decent hockey team.
There has been a coaching problem for 2 years going into year 3

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I actually thought the sharks played much better this game, especially the rookies.

First goal allowed by Jones was really weak. Eliminate the short-handed goals against and the game looks a whole lot different. I'll blame the veterans on the power play - they're trying to do too much.

I agree about the rookies looking decent. But isn't the bolded and the overall play of the vets very reminiscent of how they were playing under TMac? I think this team relies too much on pure skill to keep us competitive. Unfortunately, teams with good systems will be able to shut down the skill players and cause severe mismatches. Any team playing us in the playoffs will look at the Vegas template and cause us issues.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
It's hard to blame Pete when the players seem to make the same mistakes over and over again. Is it the systems fault guys are throwing pucks to the middle of the ice in the dzone? I can't imagine that's how PDB draws it up.

They have played like complete ass so far. One bright spot is the rookies, while not great, actually look decent.

Sadly, Kane isn't going to save this ship. If labanc or Meier take a step back at all this year with the depth we have.....it's going to be a long one

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's hard to blame Pete when the players seem to make the same mistakes over and over again. Is it the systems fault guys are throwing pucks to the middle of the ice in the dzone? I can't imagine that's how PDB draws it up.

They have played like complete ass so far. One bright spot is the rookies, while not great, actually look decent.

Sadly, Kane isn't going to save this ship. If labanc or Meier take a step back at all this year with the depth we have.....it's going to be a long one
Every mistake they made on the short handed goals were pretty much unforced errors. Obviously whatever the f*** the system is doesn't help but the players really f***ed up on the decisions leading up to the goals

IMO we'll see if the system really sinks or swims by the 20 game mark. I dunno how complicated deboers system is but in the 1st year, it took 20-30 games to really establish it and last year, they changed it up on the fly in December. It's concerning that it even takes that long to get his system going into first place but that's what we got until DW finally has the balls to fire him.

McDeez

Feb 8, 2007
San Jose
I'm not saying this is all on Jones, but, he will never steal a game for the Sharks. Puts that 3 or fewer statistic last year in a different perspective. Sharks had to score 4+ goals a game to even have a chance because Jones will never put the team on his back. LOL

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Folks we're forgetting the most important thing that has to happen going forward though. Scott Hannan needs to shoot Botox into his forehead IMMEDIATELY if he's gonna not wear a helmet on TV. :laugh:

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
I agree about the rookies looking decent. But isn't the bolded and the overall play of the vets very reminiscent of how they were playing under TMac? I think this team relies too much on pure skill to keep us competitive. Unfortunately, teams with good systems will be able to shut down the skill players and cause severe mismatches. Any team playing us in the playoffs will look at the Vegas template and cause us issues.
Our defenders are gambling on 50/50's at the blue line for puck possession. When we're down by a goal or two, it can be too tempting to try and keep the play alive. Play with the lead and this doesn't happen.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Our defenders are gambling on 50/50's at the blue line for puck possession. When we're down by a goal or two, it can be too tempting to try and keep the play alive. Play with the lead and this doesn't happen.
I think the system is too predictable. Towards the latter half of the game, EK65 was moving around a lot more in the offensive zone instead of just being static at the blue line. I think he looked good then and had Vegas skaters converging to him opening up other players. That is what we need more of. I think the players stay where they are and pass the puck to each other. Against a team like Vegas, that is just asking for them to pick the pass off and go the other way.

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
I think the system is too predictable. Towards the latter half of the game, EK65 was moving around a lot more in the offensive zone instead of just being static at the blue line. I think he looked good then and had Vegas skaters converging to him opening up other players. That is what we need more of. I think the players stay where they are and pass the puck to each other. Against a team like Vegas, that is just asking for them to pick the pass off and go the other way.
Agreed. But if we were having problems with zone entry and gaining puck possession, then I'd blame Spott's system alot more. It's up to the players to know when to rotate positions, pass, skate, or shoot once we have possession. So far, I've liked LeBanc's play. He's playing the PP with confidence, doesn't hesitate, and is decisive. There's probably some familiarity issues with the other players, too.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Agreed. But if we were having problems with zone entry and gaining puck possession, then I'd blame Spott's system alot more. It's up to the players to know when to rotate positions, pass, skate, or shoot once we have possession. So far, I've liked LeBanc's play. He's playing the PP with confidence, doesn't hesitate, and is decisive. There's probably some familiarity issues with the other players, too.
Yea I'm mostly happy with how Labanc has played. He's been playing with a lot of pace too. He's playing a higher tempo offensively that the rest of the team is lacking.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Yesterday, in the 3rd I saw Karlsson skate down the middle on a PP, only to stop and drop the pass back. It made me so angry. He did not do that last season and was actually one of our best players as far as zone entries went. Now even he is just dropping the puck back ....

Reactions: one2gamble

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
Yesterday, in the 3rd I saw Karlsson skate down the middle on a PP, only to stop and drop the pass back. It made me so angry. He did not do that last season and was actually one of our best players as far as zone entries went. Now even he is just dropping the puck back ....
Yes. Thanks for reminding me. Brought me a smile. Agreed :)

I like that some teams are doing a "double stack" where the fast player up the ice drops it to a second fast player for a clean zone entry. I've yet to see any Shark team attempt this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad