GDT: 10/4/19 Home Opener NBCSCA 7:30pm Sharks vs Vegas EK65 will play

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That was insanely frustrating to watch but there are a whole lot of hot takes here. I’d like to get to game ten before deciding our team won’t make the playoffs.

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That was insanely frustrating to watch but there are a whole lot of hot takes here. I’d like to get to game ten before deciding our team won’t make the playoffs.

I still think our team makes the playoffs. Way too much skill on it to not do that. But, my real concern is a Vegas playoff series. You know that is bound to happen.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The players played like crap in a poor system that sets them up for failure. These past two had all the same blunders and gaffes as last season minus the scoring. It's both personnel and coaching.

A lot of the Sharks's problems these first two games, on the defensive end, has been giveaways. That's not a system, that's the players not executing. In the offensive zone, they are not winning board battles, and are too often beat to the puck. The transition passing has also been abysmal.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I still think our team makes the playoffs. Way too much skill on it to not do that. But, my real concern is a Vegas playoff series. You know that is bound to happen.

The only reason this team is making the playoffs is because the Pacific is a literal dumpster fire.

My desire to live decreases every day.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A lot of the Sharks's problems these first two games, on the defensive end, has been giveaways. That's not a system, that's the players not executing. In the offensive zone, they are not winning board battles, and are too often beat to the puck. The transition passing has also been abysmal.
Dude its the same shit from last season. It is nothing new. At some point you got to look at what you are trying to get the players to execute and it that plan will work against the team you are playing.

I don't PDB does those things.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
This Vegas team is injured, missing players. We have no excuses. The Sharks have had a dog**** start to the season.

Here are the problems i see.

1) Every time we turn it over in our end it's in the net. We need cleaner breakouts of our end.

2) 2x shorties given up! WTF - our PP needs to figure out how to play D. We need to score on the PP
and not give up one.

3) More sustained zone time on offence.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Here are the problems i see.

1) Every time we turn it over in our end it's in the net. We need cleaner breakouts of our end.

2) 2x shorties given up! WTF - our PP needs to figure out how to play D. We need to score on the PP
and not give up one.

3) More sustained zone time on offence.

Steve Spott needs his head on a goddamn pike. I hope the PP gets scored on every single time so something f***ing happens with this shitty coaching staff.

Everyone needs to wake the f*** up except Jones and the rookies. At least those guys understand the stakes they're personally in.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
There is so much wrong on this team over the first two games it's really hard to focus on even identifying what the core issue is. No chemistry, passes can't connect, way too many high danger chances, gambrell, thornton, look just god awful. Our stars are invisible at best. No one seems ready for Karlsson passes. Our power play would be better if we retreated into our zone for two minutes until it's over. Multiple vets trying to do something on their own and just failing miserably. Jones let in 1, maybe 2 softies and that's the least concerning thing to me. Our first two games could not have gone worse without major injuries.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Of course not. But Pavelski was also much better with the media than Couture was. Pavelski never hopped on the bus without paying his fare and then called out other people for being passengers.
Idk, that's just not what I got out of that quote. He said the entire team was crap, and even worse than Wed, hard to argue with that. Again I appreciate his honesty and not sugar coating it.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Phu

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Idk, that's just not what I got out of that quote. He said the entire team was crap, and even worse than Wed, hard to argue with that. Again I appreciate his honesty and not sugar coating it.

It's the same reason I would've been ok with Vlasic as C. He's not downplaying it, nor should anyone.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Dude its the same **** from last season. It is nothing new. At some point you got to look at what you are trying to get the players to execute and it that plan will work against the team you are playing.

I don't PDB does those things.

That depends. It isn't like Vegas is picking off all the stretch passes or reading the passes off the boards. The players are just bobbling passes, fumbling pucks, and making dumb passes.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
That depends. It isn't like Vegas is picking off all the stretch passes or reading the passes off the boards. The players are just bobbling passes, fumbling pucks, and making dumb passes.

It's legitimately f***ing frustrating to see someone with a clear lane to the net try to pass through 2 guys and have it go the other way every single goddamn breakout.

thenick099

Apr 30, 2016
Santa Clara
WuPCpXS

Watching Erik Karlsson's post game interview on the team site and notice something was a little off. I know he wasn't great tonight, but damn :sarcasm:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
For the record, I'd be open to replacing DeBoer. Whatever it is, he's been the coach for four seasons and there is no cup. That is a good enough reason. But, I'm not sure you can fault him for the system failing.

Not only can no system survive the frequency of mistakes, poor goaltending, and lazy attitudes, but currently, the players aren't holding up their end of the bargain in terms of their hard skills. This is now a team that is built off its defense, and Burns, Karlsson, Vlasic, Heed, and Prout all need to step it up. The mobility, zone-entry, and passing ability this defense is supposed to have has not materialized.

Reactions: Shark Finn

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Huh? I read that comment completely the other way. Couture blaming the entire team, including himself, for the crap effort and result on the ice. I don't think he has ever shied away from taking responsibility.

Couture literally included himself in the quote...

And if he’s a part of the problem and can’t consistently lead by example on the ice, then I don’t think he should call out the rest of the team in public like he does regardless of whether or not he includes himself.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Eh. The team needs to improve. The youngsters need to figure out how to get their games to produce results in the NHL. As we have seen, the lines can be jacked up by one ineffective player, for better or worse they still rely on possession to a degree that requires all players to be on the same page and effective.

If that system changes maybe that changes but until then....

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Huh? I read that comment completely the other way. Couture blaming the entire team, including himself, for the crap effort and result on the ice. I don't think he has ever shied away from taking responsibility.

Couture literally included himself in the quote...

And if he’s a part of the problem and can’t consistently lead by example on the ice, then I don’t think he should call out the rest of the team in public like he does regardless of whether or not he includes himself.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Another bummer game. Sucks to lose. Obviously this one is worse because the Sharks had to watch Vegas parade around with the Stanley Cup at the end... o_O Seriously... it's 2 games, 4 rookies and missing one of the teams best forwards. Right now it appears no one told the veterans that preseason is over. The young guys all look better. Bergmann, Yourtalkin and Ferraro look great and were better tonight than in game 1. Yourtalkin dangled 2 d-men and should have drawn a penalty. Going to be really interesting to see where they and the team are 10 games in. I'm betting .500. I think it'll be good for them to play a team other than the one they induced to choke in the playoffs last season. The 2 games they play later in the season will be a far better indicator of where the teams are headed. Too early to worry. If they go 0-10 then I'm with you but I don't see it. One thing to remember... Vegas had a longer offseason to sit in their bitterness and far less roster turnover. Only natural that they would be better to start the season.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
This Vegas team is injured, missing players. We have no excuses. The Sharks have had a dog**** start to the season.
Vegas has a top 3 forward group and a top 5 goalie. They're missing a couple bottom 6 forwards (I think?) and defenseman. Sharks missing a top 6 winger and top 4 D-man along with playing 4 rookies. Roster turnover almost always has a big effect.

Reactions: Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->