3 'Stars' of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Quinn has given more chances and opportunity to Howden than he has to Kakko. I understand “earning it” but if you’re not doing anything to try and put him in positions to succeed how is he supposed to earn it?

Young kid trying to find his way is constantly met with negative reinforcement from his coach. When he gets a chance to play with good players it lasts 3 shifts before being taken away.

I don’t think Howden has shown any indication at all at the NHL level that he has potential as a power play guy and he definitely hasn’t earned the constant opportunities he’s given.
Well Howden looks better than Kakko

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Is there any chance we don't see that lineup and it was just for practice?

I have to believe this. Y'all were complaining about them not being ready for the start of games, so maybe DQ is just sending a message at practice, light a fire under the asses of those who were flat. Might not necessarily be these looks tomorrow night.

As for ADA, he has a personality where shit can start to happen when he's too comfortable. DQ is saying don't get too comfortable.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t mind the DeAngelo message being sent

kid clearly did not play well when paired with Trouba early in camp. Got walked again for a bad goal and took a dumbass double minor. This is clearly the only thing this guy responds well too so message sent

kakko on the other hand we know is struggling with confidence. To kick him down the lineup and off the power play on day 1 isn’t helping. Not in the slightest

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Waiting for the right opportunity I'm guessing.
Plus..it has been pretty good here on PEI with very few Covid cases and no deaths ...and he is still being paid until July by Vegas...so he was able to stay home and be with family and be safe and golf which he loves....we'll see if some club reaches out to him in the next few weeks/months . Most are predicting Sullivan as the first one to be canned . I'm not sure that is a great fit for Gallant....system is pretty barren of almost everything at the moment albeit a few stars remain .

Reactions: Boris Zubov

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

kid clearly did not play well when paired with Trouba early in camp. Got walked again for a bad goal and took a dumbass double minor. This is clearly the only thing this guy responds well too so message sent

kakko on the other hand we know is struggling with confidence. To kick him down the lineup and off the power play on day 1 isn’t helping. Not in the slightest
Think it was Trouba who didn't play well with him, most likely based on him looking absolutely lost last night. DeAngelo had positive stats in every category and was our best player statistically last night FYI.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

I kind of agree with that as well...he is struggling with confidence issues . I just wish he would engage more and not overthink stuff....shoot the F'n puck ...knock guys off of it ...goals will come eventually . We have to give these kids a chance .

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not worried about Kakko. He's like 6 months older than Lafreniere.

They need to make sure he plays on a line with chemistry, however. I think he'll be best on a possession line that likes to hold the puck in the offensive zone and wait for high quality chances.

His transition game through the neutral zone is weak right now, and so making sure he spends as much time as possible in the O zone should help him out. Question is whether that's more likely to happen with Zibanejad or Panarin's group.

What was concerning was that every blueliner last night was a shit show, and everyone was struggling to make proper breakout passes. That can be a rust issue, but it's also a scheme issue. Our guys are going to have to be able to deal with forechecking, and if they can't, the center needs to come back deep and give an outlet.

As for the line rotation and PP choices- it's gonna be a very accelerated season. Minutes are gonna have to be spread around.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Quinn is not a very smart dude.

Hes almost as bad as AV at getting his ride or die players into more situations. Howden was good yesterday, giving him more than hes really capable is a sure fire way to ensure that he's bad.

Or that he gets better. Sorry, but I want to take a positive view after one game into the season. And he's 22, not 27 or 28. There's still hope he's a late bloomer.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Make no mistake though. Kakko doesn’t defend doesn’t win many battles so if he’s not scoring he’s not helping.

he got a gift 10 feet from the net in the slot alone untouched and skied it. That’s something jed ortmeyer would do. He needs to bury that puck. That’s his job regardless of age

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

They need to make sure he plays on a line with chemistry, however. I think he'll be best on a possession line that likes to hold the puck in the offensive zone and wait for high quality chances.

His transition game through the neutral zone is weak right now, and so making sure he spends as much time as possible in the O zone should help him out. Question is whether that's more likely to happen with Zibanejad or Panarin's group.

What was concerning was that every blueliner last night was a shit show, and everyone was struggling to make proper breakout passes. That can be a rust issue, but it's also a scheme issue. Our guys are going to have to be able to deal with forechecking, and if they can't, the center needs to come back deep and give an outlet.

As for the line rotation and PP choices- it's gonna be a very accelerated season. Minutes are gonna have to be spread around.
I don't think that's going to happen consistently with any group. That requires puck possession which Quinn doesn't care about and a system to enact puck possession which Quinn doesn't have.

He cares about one thing: an arbitrary measure of what he considers trying hard -- intentions, if you will.

This is turning into AV without the 6 goals on 7 shots.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Quinn loves his grinders and guys like Howden great. You know what then sell the farm and go get PLD (there i said it lol) someone who can play that game who actually has skill.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Or that he gets better. Sorry, but I want to take a positive view after one game into the season. And he's 22, not 27 or 28. There's still hope he's a late bloomer.

Putting him on the PP is giving him an avenue to fail.

He was used the way that he should be used. He played well. I'd like to keep him playing well.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

What was concerning was that every blueliner last night was a shit show, and everyone was struggling to make proper breakout passes. That can be a rust issue, but it's also a scheme issue. Our guys going to have to be able to deal with forechecking, and if they can't, the center needs to come back deep and give an outlet.

No question that Trotz has that team defending well, taking up lanes, and covering up seams, which makes life miserable on outlets. And it throws a lot of things off, including timing, hence we saw turnovers galore at the offensive blue line and in the neutral zone, which feeds their transition and very opportunistic style of game. Just look at the trouble Fox dealt with. He had difficulty making outlet passes and was carrying the puck up ice a lot more than usual. He usually makes the very quick out pass. On one occasion, Barzal picked his pocket and had a breakaway that was saved by Shesty. Now if that was JJ who got pickpocketed, this board would have been on fire.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Quinn loves his grinders and guys like Howden great. You know what then sell the farm and go get PLD (there i said it lol) someone who can play that game who actually has skill.
But anybody can do that.

Grit is not an attribute to be acquired. It's something that's contagious across a unit when they buy into a system.

Take the Islanders, for example. They have lots of guys who came up skill players who now play Islanders hockey. Josh Bailey used to get made fun of for being soft and he wears a letter. First round pick Kieffer Bellows led the game in hits.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Make no mistake though. Kakko doesn’t defend doesn’t win many battles so if he’s not scoring he’s not helping.[/B]

he got a gift 10 feet from the net in the slot alone untouched and skied it. That’s something jed ortmeyer would do. He needs to bury that puck. That’s his job regardless of age

He actually won quite a few battles last night.

How bout his LW who thought he was playing for the other NY team? I don't know how Quinn can objectively push him down the lineup with out realizing that it's Panarin who demo'd that line. Either give them a chance to work through it or push him somewhere that he can succeed. Throwing PDG on his opposite wing isn't it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I have no issues with Tony being benched cause frankly he’s an ass that needs to keep his emotions in check

if it was his first time taking stupid penalties like that, it wouldn’t be an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad