Post-Game Talk: #1 - 01/14/21 | islanders @ RANGERS

3 'Stars' of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
No question that Trotz has that team defending well, taking up lanes, and covering up seams, which makes life miserable on outlets. And it throws a lot of things off, including timing, hence we saw turnovers galore at the offensive blue line and in the neutral zone, which feeds their transition and very opportunistic style of game. Just look at the trouble Fox dealt with. He had difficulty making outlet passes and was carrying the puck up ice a lot more than usual. He usually makes the very quick out pass. On one occasion, Barzal picked his pocket and had a breakaway that was saved by Shesty. Now if that was JJ who got pickpocketed, this board would have been on fire.

Exactly.

Im not going to draw huge inferences about coaching yet, but there’s no question that this team can’t play like the did yesterday and win.

Safer passes, more patience in the breakout, and more defensive accountability from forwards are all desperately needed.

It’s funny because to look at the roster with so many puck moving blue liners and speedy forwards you would think this team could play a stretch pass game, but it doesn’t look like it so far

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
But anybody can do that.

Grit is not an attribute to be acquired. It's something that's contagious across a unit when they buy into a system.

Take the Islanders, for example. They have lots of guys who came up skill players who now play Islanders hockey. Josh Bailey used to get made fun of for being soft and he wears a letter. First round pick Kieffer Bellows led the game in hits.
I think it's a little bit of both. Definitely contagious but I don't really see enough guys who can or want to do that on this team. The ones like Howden (I guess) and Lemieux probably don't have the skill to be top 6.
I mean not trying to hate on Kreider but does he really do it anymore? I know he still is a net front presence.
I think Lafreniere can certainly be that guy who is gritty with super skill.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Exactly.

Im not going to draw huge inferences about coaching yet, but there’s no question that this team can’t play like the did yesterday and win.

Safer passes, more patience in the breakout, and more defensive accountability from forwards are all desperately needed.

It’s funny because to look at the roster with so many puck moving blue liners and speedy forwards you would think this team could play a stretch pass game, but it doesn’t look like it so far

Yeah. Ironically, the play where Fox got pickpocketed coming up ice, he was too patient in the breakout and holding onto the puck and looking to make a good pass when maybe lifting the puck up in the air and into the zone was the right move. Against a team like that, it's hockey by attrition. We hate to play that style because we have the skill and talent, but it's a matchup issue with the Isles.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
And no, I'm not saying I want us to play Trotz hockey but we need to play somebody's hockey.

Gallant hockey is f***ing lit, just throwing it out there.

I agree, but it's too bad the Rangers aren't further along. I think Gallant is better suited for a team that's a bit more mature & ready to win. Not sure player development is his strong suit.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yeah. Ironically, the play where Fox got pickpocketed coming up ice, he was too patient in the breakout and holding onto the puck and looking to make a good pass when maybe lifting the puck up in the air and into the zone was the right move. Against a team like that, it's hockey by attrition. We hate to play that style because we have the skill and talent, but it's a matchup issue with the Isles.
I’ve been harping on this for months, but this Isles team is eerily similar to the Lemaire Devils. Effective, boring, soul crushing hockey.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
But anybody can do that.

Grit is not an attribute to be acquired. It's something that's contagious across a unit when they buy into a system.

Take the Islanders, for example. They have lots of guys who came up skill players who now play Islanders hockey. Josh Bailey used to get made fun of for being soft and he wears a letter. First round pick Kieffer Bellows led the game in hits.

We need our skill players to evolve a grittier style to play teams like the Isles. Especially since we play them 7 more times this season.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If Quinn loves his grinders and guys like Howden great. You know what then sell the farm and go get PLD (there i said it lol) someone who can play that game who actually has skill.

I wouldn't want to make any personnel decisions that could mortgage the future based on what a mediocre coach that might not be here past this year wants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kords and bl02

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I have no issues with Tony being benched cause frankly he’s an ass that needs to keep his emotions in check

if it was his first time taking stupid penalties like that, it wouldn’t be an issue
He already was benched last night. Now Quinn is not only punishing ADA but he's punishing the rest of the team by putting out a drastically inferior lineup.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah, I’m hoping that we can ultimately chalk this one up to rustiness but man, that looked like an epic coaching failure in top of a few unready/unfit players in the lineup.

JMFJ needs to go. I’m fine with K’s growing pains. Kakko needs to start showing much more assertiveness.

Thats a good word for it, was thinking "pissed off" is another. You know, play with a chip on his shoulder. Should hang with Boochie a little. Some players play better when ANGRY.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Right because the Lightning make literally everything they touch better. That's where I wanna be.
Supposing you mean thats where you want the Rangers to be.
Somewhat similar to the NFL Patriots. Every player that goes there succeeds and gets better. Why? Because they want to be there and under good coaching. Man, that was difficult to admit/say. I hate that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad