Post-Game Talk: #1 - 01/14/21 | islanders @ RANGERS

3 'Stars' of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
This being Quinn's 3rd year I just don't see a championship coach. Coaches are either a great X & O guy or a coach who can motivate the heck out of the team Ala Torts. He is a cliche type with no feel for the team.

Reactions: Tob

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Other than Buch, all traded to the Rangers, and pretty much are where they are when they first started playing, save for strome, who got upgraded linemates.
Who cares? Traded or not, DeAngelo took his game to a new level. The difference between Fox and Lindgren from beginning of year to end of year was extremely noticeable. Strome revived his career.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is not defending. This is taking a breath and realizing that it has been ONE game

What hes doing now is worse than picking names out of a hat. He is doing this by CHOICE.

Like if he wants to make a statement (and I wouldn't agree with this either), Scratch Panarin. That will get everyones attention.

Throwing shit at the wall and hoping that it sticks is NOT coaching.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You mean this?

kakko and gauthier both demoted taking the teeth out of the third line while moving lafreniere to right wing a position he doesn’t play.

Kakko was invisible. Gauthier has no hockey IQ and was only slightly better. Moving Lafreniere is something that many here were clamoring for claiming it was easy. I doubt very much that it stays that way.

And again, IT HAS BEEN ONE GAME!

No I posted a long piece on each player and how Quinn hasn’t developed any kids. He rides his talented vets

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What hes doing now is worse than picking names out of a hat. He is doing this by CHOICE.

Like if he wants to make a statement (and I wouldn't agree with this either), Scratch Panarin. That will get everyones attention.

Throwing shit at the wall and hoping that it sticks is NOT coaching.
He didn't have the team prepared to play and the players were not really interested in competing. On top of everything, Martin is installing a new system and the team had all of two weeks and no pre-season games to learn it. And have you seen the age of half the defense?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No I posted a long piece on each player and how Quinn hasn’t developed any kids. He rides his talented vets
So DeAngelo has not developed at all. And Fox and Lindgren did not develop at all last year. Buchnevich clearly not developing. You are going to pin Andersson on him? Or Kravstov?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He didn't have the team prepared to play and the players were not really interested in competing. On top of everything, Martin is installing a new system and the team had all of two weeks and no pre-season games to learn it. And have you seen the age of half the defense?

Okay all of that may be true....

But how does that change the fact that everything hes doing right now as we speak makes no sense?

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yikes, really surprised how bad they looked. Its like they picked up right where they left off at the bubble. Still, its just one game, and this is the youngest team in the league.
I wanna be young like that,
I wanna get paid like that
I wanna suck really bad, and still get paid like that.

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Okay all of that may be true....

But how does that change the fact that everything hes doing right now as we speak makes no sense?
It has been one game. So stating "right now" involved exactly 60 minutes of hockey.

For context, if the team came out on fire and won 5 or 6 in a row and then this game happened. No one would have really blinked. But as there is nothing to compare this game to as it is the first one, the freak out has begun.

Reactions: haveandare

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I don't think scratching Tony for a game is a big deal in and of itself, but it's one of the downstream effects of the Johnson signing. They bring in a guy for veteran leadership, but he can't play anymore as anything more than a fill-in for injuries. After a game like this, the coach has to scratch someone, but he can't scratch a veteran leader.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It has been one game. So stating "right now" involved exactly 60 minutes of hockey.

For context, if the team came out on fire and won 5 or 6 in a row and then this game happened. No one would have really blinked. But as there is nothing to compare this game to as it is the first one, the freak out has begun.

No if they had won 5 of 6 and he did this it would have been even crazier.

Like no matter the circumstance, none of this is really acceptable.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Please elaborate here. Especially examples of the 'cowardly" part.

Coaches don't like players like TDA. Brings offense but sometimes looks bad on defense. It doesn't matter that he's a net positive, their risk aversion will have them playing guys like JJ over him.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I don't think scratching Tony for a game is a big deal in and of itself, but it's one of the downstream effects of the Johnson signing. They bring in a guy for veteran leadership, but he can't play anymore as anything more than a fill-in for injuries. After a game like this, the coach has to scratch someone, but he can't scratch a veteran leader.
DeAngelo is 1000% more of a leader on this team than Johnson.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

So much leadership yesterday. He probably gave a speech that included the word "boys" in it. :rolleyes:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Feel like we're really seeing the problem of no real training camp, preseason games, and a short season creating panic (or "urgency") for coaching staffs
Seems like Quinn is pissed at DeAngelo for the extra penalty he took and I can't help but wonder if some of the off ice social media stuff is playing into that as well (they're already annoyed at him for being a distraction and now he won't shut his yap on the ice), he's down on Kakko for having a un-engaged first game, wants to give Miller more looks but doesn't want to throw him in the fire with Trouba, and hopes Fox can carry Johnson

Lotta juggling around because of a bad showing

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Let’s be honest here

they sent chytil down and knoblauch helped him more than anything. He looked great when he came up and then Quinn buried him with Howden and a struggling kakko

lindgren Hartford developed

fox came here a finished product

Kakko struggled badly
Howden struggled badly
Andersson terrible player but he left
Kravtsov left didn’t love the messaging from Quinn playing his best away from him
Barron didn’t do what was expected here in camp
Gauthier can’t get any real mins can’t score can’t defend after dominating the A
Lemieux has regressed to trash
Hajek approaching bust status after initially coming into lineup and playing well before injury

none of these kids are getting any real PP time

so Quinn seems to be good at riding his best veteran players and that’s about it. His specialty is supposed to be developing kids
@True Blue

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
TBF, talking about Glee makes more sense than what ever the f*** Quinn is doing right now.
I would go as far as saying all the different opinions voiced in this thread about the show make more sense than what Dave has been up to lately, and I haven't watched a second of it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Coaches don't like players like TDA. Brings offense but sometimes looks bad on defense. It doesn't matter that he's a net positive, their risk aversion will have them playing guys like JJ over him.
Who are coaches like him? And, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't DeAngelo thrive last year under him? As well as the second half of the prior year? And after one friggin' game, it is "Quinn does not like him"?

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad