Post-Game Talk: #1 - 01/14/21 | islanders @ RANGERS

3 'Stars' of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yes, that absolutely is his fault. We outplayed LA the first five periods of that series and then they completely turned us off. Instead of adjusting, he ran into a buzzsaw for three games. That's how his teams get knocked out literally every year.

The Boston series was not close. Boston won their four games by a combined score of 19-3. Four games wins the series. Four games weren't competitive. Two Luongo shutouts (both 1-0) were the only reason that went 7.

Losing half your team to injuries surely won’t help and it still was a 7 game series any way you wanna cut it.
The facts are the facts the guy will be a HOF coach with top 5 in victories all time Top 3/4 winning percentage. Missed playoffs in 2 of the last 15 years. Comparing him to DQ or any coach like that shows complete bias.

Reactions: mas0764

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Honestly, I don't know that I've ever hated someone in the sport of hockey as much as him. I single-handedly blame him for us not winning a cup.
Well let’s hope another coach gets us to at least a cup since you know it happens so often around here

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I hope they were bagskated today! Starting with that punk Laf!

#SarcasmAndHyperbole

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Losing half your team to injuries surely won’t help and it still was a 7 game series any way you wanna cut it.
The facts are the facts the guy will be a HOF coach with top 5 in victories all time Top 3/4 winning percentage. Missed playoffs in 2 of the last 15 years. Comparing him to DQ or any coach like that shows complete bias.
Yeah, AV has had a career for himself while Quinn will be an afterthought. Hence, AV without scoring a bunch of goals. Scoring a bunch of goals is important in hockey. Other than that important thing, it's the same non-system.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I honestly can't always tell what the coaches want and what the players execute. It sounds like Quinn did not want them plyaing the game that they did and that was not his gameplan last night. It's always going to be a learning curve with a young team but they all need to do better including Quinn

I also think we need to keep in mind this team had little over a week to get ready for the season...no real training camp, no preseason games, and they're not a vet heavy team with few changes like the Islanders were.

Yeah, but what we do know is for example how he matched his team and stuff like that.

The NHL is a tough league as it is. Everyone faces very tough stretches, everyone gets to fail hard and have to learn to get out of it stronger. You don’t have to be force fed failure on a silver platter from Day 1. Shift 1.

I am sure DQ didn’t want that either, but that is what happened due to his inability to foresee it. And there in lies the problem. Like I cannot interpret it any other way.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
AV belongs nowhere near the Hall of Fame.

He's literally incapable of winning the Stanley Cup. He could coach for a thousand years and it would never happen.

His teams play fake meme hockey.

As far as I know he took two pretty so-so teams to the Finals, and one of those series even went to 7. Torts finished almost last with more or less the same Vancouver team and we always looked like crap when Torts was here.

Not that AV should be some kind of yard stick. I just don’t like the double standards.

AV didn’t take any short cuts and delivered. Except McIlrath — all kids that even remotely had what it took made it under AV and became good players. He was more or less batting 100%. Miller. Kreider. Skjei. Fast. Lindberg. And so many others.

But he was thrash because he was thorough. That is why AV is mentioned. I wouldn’t want him back. Now we have a coach who starts at the other end. I am just afraid of that approach. It’s easy to sit in the back seat and like ask what they were smoking in how they had a horrible record developing kids due to rushing them, putting them in an awful environment etc etc etc. I think we rushed Lias and Chytil. Chytil looked great from Day 1, as of today — he doesn’t look great. His development has been downright so-so.

I also think we could do worse than DQ and I do — not — think he is a disaster that surely will result in many long term wounds. But is that enough? I want a coach that I with a little bias can say, hey this guy is great. He is the best.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Weird how many people have posted on here for years and probably watched 1000's of games yet don't realize stinkers happen, even for good teams.

I have no idea what this portends for the season, but this year was weird and it's not really telling of anything how the game went last night. We'll see.

I will say, it's a shame the off-season was a cap crunching and less demanding one than usual. We probably could have gotten an enormous haul for TDA in a regular year and despite his offensive skills, I think the guy is just never going to grow up. I'm curious what the locker room thinks of him, because he seems just all around unlikable. Would have been great if we could have off-loaded him.

Tony is one of the most well liked players in the locker room.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Isles fan here. Just want to share my insight on what I think is wrong. This is coming from a fan of a team that couldn't put a second round playoff appearance for 25 years.

You're missing a captain and veteran leadership. Throwing four A's around isn't a leadership strategy with one of the youngest teams in the league. Acquiring lots of young talent is one thing, putting it all together is another. See: Edmonton.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah, AV has had a career for himself while Quinn will be an afterthought. Hence, AV without scoring a bunch of goals. Scoring a bunch of goals is important in hockey. Other than that important thing, it's the same non-system.
To be fair to Dave, we did score bunches of goals last year.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Isles fan here. Just want to share my insight on what I think is wrong. This is coming from a fan of a team that couldn't put a second round playoff appearance for 25 years.

You're missing a captain and veteran leadership. Throwing four A's around isn't a leadership strategy with one of the youngest teams in the league. Acquiring lots of young talent is one thing, putting it all together is another. See: Edmonton.
Agreed and to stirr up the pot we have a coach who seems to fumble under the pressure.

Kreider is the only remaining player from
the 14 cup finals and it really shows, especially in our own zone.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

You need Cup winers on a developing team, strong personalities, and vets. The Rangers don't really have any of those for this group. The last group of kids they had with Tortorella there was Fedotenko, Prospal, Richard, St. Louis, Biron. That's super important.

The Rangers "vets" are all these new age diplomatic laid back guys like Kreider, Ziba, Trouba, the later two are family men. The most controversial guys in that room are TDA and Lemiuex and they're not old or respected enough to be leaders.

I like Ziba and I'm not saying you have to be a metal head and listen to like grindcore or Napalm Death or whatever, but hear his DJ Track, that's his personality. He's not firey enough or in your face enough to be a piss and vinegar leader.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Fans are the greatest.

Lose an opening game, with the youngest team in the league, against a top-tier team that plays lockdown hockey better than any other team, and fans want to get rid of the coach.

Unbelievable.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
isles are not a top tier team.

Top 4 in the NHL last season, and the Isles kept almost every player. Toews and Brassard are replaced with players from within the organisation, already familiar with the system.

The supporters of the teams they played during the last playoffs said the same thing “Our team played awful hockey during the series, and we never hit our normal level.” The Isles make other teams look bad, so I guess you guys should wait a couple of games before you ask for big changes. I’m sure you’ll do fine this season and your offensive will be lethal.

Good luck!

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Top 4 in the NHL last season, and the Isles kept almost every player. Toews and Brassard are replaced with players from within the organisation, already familiar with the system.

The supporters of the teams they played during the last playoffs said the same thing “Our team played awful hockey during the series, and we never hit our normal level.” The Isles make other teams look bad, so I guess you guys should wait a couple of games before you ask for big changes. I’m sure you’ll do fine this season and your offensive will be lethal.

Good luck!

they were lucky to make the playoffs. Thwy were the worst team in the league after a hot start. Dont let the fluke playoffs change thw perspective. This is a team that starts hot and then fades bc they cant score.

edit: the isles are great defensively which is why they always start hot. Once teams start clicking offensively and find their groove the isles dont have the horses to keep pace. Their great defense and the long layoff were a huge reason for their success in the PO’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad