3 'Stars' of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Did David Quinn not expect KAndre Miller to have a few tough shifts out there in his first game let alone pro game in like 10 months?

he raved about him for two weeks then pulls him from trouba just like that?

he’s a Panicked coach if I’ve ever seen one. He completely fell apart when Fast got hurt in the bubble. Zero line stability and he’s already panicked after 2 weeks of consistent lines all thru camp after one game? What kind of message does that send?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just ridiculous to think you’re going to beat a team totally structured by playing panicked Hockey jumbling guys all over the place no continuity. Just laughable. Happened in the bubble I’d be shocked if it didn’t happen again tomorrow

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
AV belongs nowhere near the Hall of Fame.

He's literally incapable of winning the Stanley Cup. He could coach for a thousand years and it would never happen.

His teams play fake meme hockey.
He will be there quite easily when it’s all said and done. That’s just the fact of the matter. Probably will be top 5 wins all time wins in history. And possibly top 3 in win percentage. That’s a centuries worth of coaches.Let’s not compare him with DQ.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Did David Quinn not expect KAndre Miller to have a few tough shifts out there in his first game let alone pro game in like 10 months?

he’s a Panicked coach if I’ve ever seen one. He completely fell apart when Fast got hurt in the bubble. Zero line stability and he’s already panicked after 2 weeks of consistent lines all thru camp after one game? What kind of message does that send?

I thought the same thing. I know they had a lot of PK's and he had to mix and match some lines to get the times straight but for a while there it was like he was just testing out new combos as if he were playing NHL21. It appeared (who knows! we couldnt see!) he kept all of the lines he liked intact during camp, and then he abandoned them not even 30 minutes into the first game of the season.

Reactions: bl02

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I have to believe this. Y'all were complaining about them not being ready for the start of games, so maybe DQ is just sending a message at practice, light a fire under the asses of those who were flat. Might not necessarily be these looks tomorrow night.

As for ADA, he has a personality where shit can start to happen when he's too comfortable. DQ is saying don't get too comfortable.

If that were true, why did Johnson get promoted? What type of message is that!?

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
One of the real problems with last night, which was a larger culprit to overall line shuffling and whatnot, was that the Rangers took 8 penalties.

Incredibly unacceptable, especially against a low event team like the Islanders.

Also, if anyone mentions "it was the first game, of course they have things to work out" then just stop right there and leave the conversation. It was also the Islanders' first game, and many other teams had their "first game" last night or the night before. And really...none of them looked as helpless as the Rangers did. Sure...they have two 19 year old forwards and a 20 year old defenseman. But that doesn't actually have AS large of an overall impact as you might imagine.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Do they really though?

Hughes got bullied all of last year and is allergic to scoring goals. Dach got some primo minutes with Kane towards the end of last year.

The hyperbole tonight is ridiculous and his overall analytics based off of this game alone are really not reflective with how he played.

His issues are really 2 fold...

1. He isn't good at getting the puck back when he doesn't have it, this should be a major area of focus for him, this is coachable.
2. His best work comes from the dots inwards.

In a game where Panarin was basically dishing pucks out to the Islanders like he was playing for them, #1 was really exaggerated in the statistics (almost all of his xGA can be attributed to Panarin. I don't think he did anything egregious defensively but I'd have to go back and look at the tape to make sure and I'd rather not) and #2 couldn't come into fruition. In fact, I'd say that the coaching staff has done a really, really poor job putting him in a position to use his strengths and last year, tried to turn him into a player that he wasn't (along with him losing his wind like after 20 games.)

But here is the good news, when Panarin decides that he wants to start playing like a good player again, #2 is something that should become MUCH easier for him to do. I don't know if this is the best line for him, but they should stick with it for a while and see what it looks like when Panarin is Panarin instead of what ever the hell he was tonight.

I just don't get where all the hate is coming from. Its one game where our best player was our worst forward and happened to be on Kakko's line.
Some straw man arguments made, but overall I agree with you. And I’m not hating on Kakko.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Just the mere fact that DQ "and staff" even entertained the very thought about putting this kid on the top pair and then expecting results, should tell you all you need to know about him as a coach.

Same goes for JG for even allowing this nonsense in the first place..

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
One of the real problems with last night, which was a larger culprit to overall line shuffling and whatnot, was that the Rangers took 8 penalties.

Incredibly unacceptable, especially against a low event team like the Islanders.

Also, if anyone mentions "it was the first game, of course they have things to work out" then just stop right there and leave the conversation. It was also the Islanders' first game, and many other teams had their "first game" last night or the night before. And really...none of them looked as helpless as the Rangers did. Sure...they have two 19 year old forwards and a 20 year old defenseman. But that doesn't actually have AS large of an overall impact as you might imagine.

Agreed completely especially given only 1/8 was committed by a rookie. The lack of cohesion on night 1 due to penalties makes today’s line blender even more confusing.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He will be there quite easily when it’s all said and done. That’s just the fact of the matter. Probably will be top 5 wins all time wins in history. And possibly top 3 in win percentage. That’s a centuries worth of coaches.Let’s not compare him with DQ.
Hall of fame goaltending throughout your career helps.

but yea...Quinn can’t hold a candle to AV and I hated AV by the end

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sorry, I don't care how many regular season games you win when you're serving as active prevention from your team ever winning a championship.

His teams aren't terrible by any means and he could get there with minor adjustments, but that will never happen. He's perfect and God's gift to hockey.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Torts is a good coach. I have no problem saying that. The only thing with Torts is that he has a rancid milk expiration date but he'll develop your team well and has a chance to win before he hits it.

I can't respect AV. I can't respect a man who has the ability to succeed but roundly refuses to improve himself even a little bit.

It's always everyone else's fault that his teams fail in the same spots in the same embarrassing way year after year and his smarmy ass attitude tells the whole story.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sorry, I don't care how many regular season games you win when you're serving as active prevention from your team ever winning a championship.

His teams aren't terrible by any means and he could get there with minor adjustments, but that will never happen. He's perfect and God's gift to hockey.
Yes it was his fault no one could bury an overtime goal or score a big goal vs LA. Yes it’s his fault almost half his team was injured In the 2011 series vs Boston that went 7 games.
Even if you wanna blame him and it’s his fault those teams didn’t win a cup fine but the fact is he is an Easy Selection HOF that should not be compared to Coaches like DQ.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes it was his fault no one could bury an overtime goal or score a big goal vs LA. Yes it’s his fault almost half his team was injured In the 2011 series vs Boston that went 7 games.
Even if you wanna blame him and it’s his fault those teams didn’t win a cup fine but the fact is he is an Easy Selection HOF that should not be compared to Coaches like DQ.
Yes, that absolutely is his fault. We outplayed LA the first five periods of that series and then they completely turned us off. Instead of adjusting, he ran into a buzzsaw for three games. That's how his teams get knocked out literally every year.

The Boston series was not close. Boston won their four games by a combined score of 19-3. Four games wins the series. Four games weren't competitive. Two Luongo shutouts (both 1-0) were the only reason that went 7.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Yea that was pathetic to see. He’s going to kill the kids confidence. The whole team was pretty bad from the net out. They weren’t ready to play the game and it showed. Igor letting in that third 1 was a back breaker. Like they stopped trying after that. You can feel the whole bench sag. On the bright side, Howden looked pretty good lol. Quinn panicked pretty fast. This is not a good look for him on the preparation side and the coaching side

Last edited:
Reactions: MysticLeviathan

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

This is amazing. He's not even here anymore yet still is ragged on mercilessly. lol

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Who are coaches like him? And, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't DeAngelo thrive last year under him? As well as the second half of the prior year? And after one friggin' game, it is "Quinn does not like him"?

Thriving UNDER him and BECAUSE of him are two different things. Hard to say if it was DQ versus TDAs game maturing.

DQ does seem to have that annoying gene of favoring grinders over talent which is really just risk aversion as a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad