Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It was hypothetical question. I think he is more likely to stay for less money than move. $3m or less for JT would interest me.
No amount would interest me. It’s time to break the old habits. No to Tavares, we need to start seeing a hungrier looking, more intense core of blue collar play. Matthews and Nylander that’s it. Rielly can stay until we see if he can be pushed down the lineup with real upgrades and how that looks with his salary and play.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
there's a huge benefit to having quality players in your lineup that'll help you win , you'll probably the only Leaf fan that believes Timmins we'll be in our top 6 next year

but hey keeping doubling and tripling down how we only need to sign maybe 5 players for next year , lol

I hope they try Timmins out, we need more offense and puck movement, especially from the backend.

I hope they don't sign more useless D.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
team aren't just going give us there quality players on sweetheart like Dubas did for Col when he gifted them Kadri so chances are those pieces will cost more than 4m per on avg
$6M each for either two dman or a dman and a second line centre.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I get it but Rielly is only going to get worse as his skating is his biggest asset and at 30 he’s already slowing down. If there was no salary cap, I would keep Rielly but given that there is that money can be better used elsewhere like a good second line centre.
I cannot disagree that trading Reilly for the right player could be a good thing. We are short of dmen and as a second pairing guy he is useful. We do have Mintin and Cowan coming fir 2nd line center, but maybe not soon enough.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I get it but Rielly is only going to get worse as his skating is his biggest asset and at 30 he’s already slowing down. If there was no salary cap, I would keep Rielly but given that there is that money can be better used elsewhere like a good second line centre.
JT will age poorly because he was never a good skater to begin with and Rielly will age poorly because skating is his best asset. That's a bummer.

JT won't retire and if we don't re-sign him it'll make your head spin how quick he packs his family and moves
If we don't sign him he will take his heavy discount (competitive advantage) to a division rival down the street like Buffalo.

William Johnson

Jan 8, 2012
Agreed with this. Unless an offer sheet is actually signed by the player, what is there to be worried about? Even if he does sign a contract above what we are willing to match, I glady take 3 or 4 first round picks. I don't think any GM is ever going to pay that price for any player, maybe even McDavid.

Also would like to add about when O-dog called Dreger out on radio about the offer sheet rumors saying something like "Guys like Point, Rantanen etc. are RFAs as well and we aren't hearing any rumors of these guys being offer sheeted, so why only Marner?"
Yes, I recall O'Neill saying that and also being livid about the leaked report that Marner had rejected an offer that would have earned him over 70 million and pointing out that living in Toronto and getting paid in US dollars means that's over 100 million. Marner, his dad and his agent should p*ss off to Europe, I think was the line, more or less. 100 million was not good enough for Mitch, supposedly because he didn't want an 8 year deal and wanted to maximise lifetime earnings etc etc. Then, I think it was a day or two after that (memory is a bit fuzzy), they announced the 10.893 over 6 years deal. And then Marner posted a video to social media saying the 93 part of his salary was a tribute to Gilmour. Heartwarming stuff for Leafs fans like me who have been alive since the 60s when they last won a Cup.

Look, on-ice performance is what matters the most, and understandably so. But character and integrity matter too, at least to me. Earn your tens of millions but don't milk us for every penny. Play hard all the time, but especially when it matters most. Not asking for Wendel or Killer, just more spine and less whine.

Although I'd bet the house that Mitch would handle the contract stuff very differently if he had a chance to do it again, I'd also bet that, since things have gotten so ugly for him here, he's going to see if he can convince some team to pay him the earth on the next contract. He can then griddy his way over to those greener pastures where people care less about character, toughness and clutch playoff performance.

PS: Not sure I agree with your point about GMs not paying that price for McDavid. We'll never know, of course, but I think that every GM on the planet would have broken the bank if the Oilers had been stupid enough to let him get to RFA.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Agreed with this. Unless an offer sheet is actually signed by the player, what is there to be worried about? Even if he does sign a contract above what we are willing to match, I glady take 3 or 4 first round picks. I don't think any GM is ever going to pay that price for any player, maybe even McDavid.
Eh, GM's wouldn't blink, or think twice about the value if weren't for the old boys club stigma against using them combined with the ability to match from the right holding team making them almost certain to fail.

Reactions: William Johnson

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I hope they try Timmins out, we need more offense and puck movement, especially from the backend.

I hope they don't sign more useless D.
Give him a shot, but he can’t play with the wrong handed stick again, like he must have done this year.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Tavares is not a name and Utah has a couple of young studs to market.

Have you ever heard JT talk? He’s too boring even for Canadians and you expect him to inspire a new market?
i'm talking about sending him to Salt Lake City not New York , he may speak at that just the right speed for that market

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If we don't sign him he will take his heavy discount (competitive advantage) to a division rival down the street like Buffalo.
discount implies playing for less than he's worth , he was worth about 5m this season so a ''heavy discount'' would mean he signs for 2ish million

what it doesn't mean is we make up a fairy tale that even though he was never worth 11m which made him the highest paid player at the time of signing it was still a ''discount'' because someone may have offered him more

Reactions: LeafEgo

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think that very much depends on what kind of offers he gets. He's already made close to $100M. What if the best offer he gets is $3M x 3 from Calgary?
doesn't matter the offer(s) he gets , he'll take the one best suited for him and keep playing

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well we will see about Tre this summer .. clearly we are gonna go with him to try to change up da squad .. i hope he does not screw up like he did in Calgary .. we need 2/3 big trades completed to our core .. to me da only 4 guys i don't trade are Matty Woll Cowan and Benoit .. we really lucked into Benoit .. that kid has some huge potential .. JT Rielly Willy Mitch something has to change big time .. Willy is only 1 of those 4 who i would have to get a monster return to entertain trading .. minimum 3 1st rounders and a D like level of deal

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
too bad Shanny didn't use the veto more often

-Kadri trade
-Foligno trade
-signing Mzerak , Ritchie , Tavares

Its probably because he isn't very bright and doesn't hire bright individuals. BT was hired by LarryT btw.

@Confucius ... Call a spade a spade. He hired dubas. They hired Keefe and kept him. They overpayed and have no success. Nonis was under Shanny as well. Lou was the only good thing Shanahan brought in and then he tanked it all for NuHockey. Dumb is dumb

Btw. BT and LarryT are family friends. Shanahan had a choice to hire him knowing that. He had the choice to say yes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: socko and Confucius

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It was hypothetical question. I think he is more likely to stay for less money than move. $3m or less for JT would interest me.
But the original statement was "if we don't re-sign him, I think he retires".

So, if we don't re-sign him, do you think he will retire or, if it's the only offer, go to somewhere like Calgary for 3x3?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That Tavares signing started it all. The cap problems. The overpays on the core. The poor team construction.

it's sad looking back and thinking of what could have been

I still believe this we can build around this core (Mathews/Marner/Nylander) but it won't be quick and it won't be easy . The first step is getting JT to waive , without doing that the team will be just spinning it's wheels next year as well and the hell with re-signing him at any price .

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Give him a shot, but he can’t play with the wrong handed stick again, like he must have done this year.
Timmins is a nightmare defensively, imagine that in the playoffs. Keep him around as cheap filler but he’d get brutalized in our division come playoffs. Look at Lil for example. Can’t believe anyone thinks that’s the answer, unless he finds another level. There a reason he was the 9th D here, it wasn’t some bias, it was the film.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Timmins is a nightmare defensively, imagine that in the playoffs. Keep him around as cheap filler but he’d get brutalized in our division come playoffs. Look at Lil for example. Can’t believe anyone thinks that’s the answer, unless he finds another level. There a reason he was the 9th D here, it wasn’t some bias, it was the film.
A few times this year I said to myself he looks like that poor kid that had to play with dull skates and a super blade. Felt bad for him.

Reactions: DarkKnight

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The D that Treliving assembled didn't work, so why not get some more offense on the back end.

Our GA/G barely went down, it was 2.88 over the 3 years prior and 2.57 this year.

Our GF/G dropped from 3.00 to 1.71.

We need more defensive defensemen, you're right.

We were also going to try to play Klingberg and Timmins is 10x as good defensively.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A few times this year I said to myself he looks like that poor kid that had to play with dull skates and a super blade. Felt bad for him.
He’s fine with open ice, makes nice ups and does decent things in the o zone. He’s a disaster on a forecheck, all the good stuff evaporates and you’re left with a weak D man that can’t defend. I’d keep him around, but anyone slotting him into the top 6 after what we just saw, doesn’t know much.

Reactions: Nineteen67

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He’s fine with open ice, makes nice ups and does decent things in the o zone. He’s a disaster on a forecheck, all the good stuff evaporates and you’re left with a weak D man that can’t defend. I’d keep him around, but anyone slotting him into the top 6 after what we just saw, doesn’t know much.

It can't be any worse than Edmundson... Our D couldn't move the puck up the ice, and it was led by that man.

A good defensive play is clearing the zone, we lacked that.

The only thing he does well is block shots because he is in his end for 90% of the game.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 3.11.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 3.11.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 3.12.24 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 3.13.03 PM.png

Such bad numbers and not even that tough of assignments...

Your defensive stud.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It can't be any worse than Edmundson... Our D couldn't move the puck up the ice, and it was led by that man.

A good defensive play is clearing the zone, we lacked that.

The only thing he does well is block shots because he is in his end for 90% of the game.

View attachment 871330

View attachment 871331

View attachment 871333

View attachment 871334

Such bad numbers and not even that tough of assignments...

Your defensive stud.

Personally I liked Edmundson enough in the playoffs that id be okay with them bringing him back as long as the term didn't get too crazy.

BUT Ill admit I flinched anytime the puck was near him by the offensive zone. He couldn't even hit the net let alone make a set up pass.

I don't think a team with him and Boosh taking up 40 min of icetime a game is going to go far unless they're offset by well above average puck moving guys (which the team currently doesn't really have)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad