Speculation: Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I'd rather lose ROR for nothing then take Phaneuf on this team.

You couldn't get 2 more opposite players than Phaneuf and ROR. ROR is a heart and soul, every shift like it is his last, and extremely high hockey IQ player. Phaneuf is a selfish, finger pointing, arrogant player with the hockey IQ of a bottle of marmalade.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

You couldn't get 2 more opposite players than Phaneuf and ROR. ROR is a heart and soul, every shift like it is his last, and extremely high hockey IQ player. Phaneuf is a selfish, finger pointing, arrogant player with the hockey IQ of a bottle of marmalade.

Phaneuf.... does give... the best.... interviews.... in.... hockey.

Besides, if it doesn't work out, we can trade him to Easter Island as a tour guide.

moai6.jpg

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
The Avs should let O'Reilly sit at home and keep him for as an RFA for an extra year. Especially if he is still injured. Why would the avs pay him to sit at home when he is doing that for free now?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What do y'all think of ROR and SOB for Phaneuf and McClement?

I don't think Phaneuf would fit in with the chemistry of this team, and he has too many holes in his game for me to be enthralled with trading O'Reilly for him. IMO if the Avs trade O'Reilly it needs to be in a package for a top defenseman, or in a package for a top pick on a can't miss type of prospect. Other than that I say they be patient, and/or try and find some way of smoothing out the relationship with O'Reilly, though that appears highly unlikely.

McClement turned down a much better offer from the Avs to play with Toronto, so it doesn't seem like he really wanted to play here. I doubt the Avs have any interest in re-acquiring him because of that.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
But it *is* bad. I'll take the Top 5 pick, but 3 tank years out of 5? That's NY Islanders territory. I get that bad things have happened this season, but this is the 4th year they've been rebuilding the team. Do you see real light at the end of this tunnel? My friend, I'm having trouble seeing it, to be honest.

I know what you mean , But sadly luck wasnt on our side either . We traded for Mueller and Flash who were suppose to be part of that rebuilt and we all know what happend with them . I know that we are at the 3rd/4th year of a plan 5 year plan ( well usually it's 5 years ) but losing them hurt us a lot and set us back . Add one or both of them to our current roster and we would be in much better shape in our rebuilding paln .

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I would puke. Don't want Phaneuf and his contract at all on this team.
And McClement bolted last year and he would bolt again.

ROR for Phaneuf is a horrible trade.

Phaneuf.... does give... the best.... interviews.... in.... hockey.

Besides, if it doesn't work out, we can trade him to Easter Island as a tour guide.

moai6.jpg

I don't think Phaneuf would fit in with the chemistry of this team, and he has too many holes in his game for me to be enthralled with trading O'Reilly for him. IMO if the Avs trade O'Reilly it needs to be in a package for a top defenseman, or in a package for a top pick on a can't miss type of prospect. Other than that I say they be patient, and/or try and find some way of smoothing out the relationship with O'Reilly, though that appears highly unlikely.

McClement turned down a much better offer from the Avs to play with Toronto, so it doesn't seem like he really wanted to play here. I doubt the Avs have any interest in re-acquiring him because of that.

Out of curiosity...where does the hatred of Dion come from?

I know Phaneuf is overpaid...what top pairing dman not on an ELC isn't? I just thought that as a huge minute eating right shooting dman that he would be a significant upgrade to our top d unit. The guy is logging 27+ minutes a night right now. That would push Wilson down to playing with Hejda and then keep ROB, Hunwick and Zannon on the bottom pairing and hopefully get Barrie back to LEM for some major minutes on ice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I know Phaneuf is overpaid...what top pairing dman not on an ELC isn't? I just thought that as a huge minute eating right shooting dman that he would be a significant upgrade to our top d unit. The guy is logging 27+ minutes a night right now. That would push Wilson down to playing with Hejda and then keep ROB, Hunwick and Zannon on the bottom pairing and hopefully get Barrie back to LEM for some major minutes on ice.

I don't necessarily have a hatred for him, his attitude and personality just seem like it would clash with the rest of the team. Like he would come in and try to take over the dressing room, or just not really mesh well with the guys. That's just a complete assumption on my part though.

I've also seen him get completely undressed, or just totally out of position on way too many occassions for me to be all that interested in acquiring him. Plus he's a $6.5M guy, and will be a UFA after next year. Seems like a guy who could easily walk after that, and the Avs would have given up O'Reilly for nothing really.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I'm not so down on Phaneuf as many in here, but I wouldn't want him in Colorado, for the simple reason that Dater's man crush on the guy would use up half the state's available bandwidth and disk space.

A Phaneuf-EJ pairing is an interesting one to contemplate. I've always felt that Phaneuf has some very unique innate skillsets, and that his positioning is crappy at times. Though I also can't help but wonder why EJ seems to get such a pass in here due to crappy defense partners, but Phaneuf isn't given that same accommodation.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I'm not so down on Phaneuf as many in here, but I wouldn't want him in Colorado, for the simple reason that Dater's man crush on the guy would use up half the state's available bandwidth and disk space.

A Phaneuf-EJ pairing is an interesting one to contemplate. I've always felt that Phaneuf has some very unique innate skillsets, and that his positioning is crappy at times. Though I also can't help but wonder why EJ seems to get such a pass in here due to crappy defense partners, but Phaneuf isn't given that same accommodation.

EJ isn't paid $6+million.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm fairly certain that Dater has close to zero inside knowledge and speculates in trades/offer sheets just to stir up ****. He's done it quite a bit in the past.

He's pretty much only reliable for injuries, starting goaltenders and other things Avs officially release.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'm fairly certain that Dater has close to zero inside knowledge and speculates in trades/offer sheets just to stir up ****. He's done it quite a bit in the past.

He's pretty much only reliable for injuries, starting goaltenders and other things Avs officially release.

And lockout endings.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
But it *is* bad. I'll take the Top 5 pick, but 3 tank years out of 5? That's NY Islanders territory. I get that bad things have happened this season, but this is the 4th year they've been rebuilding the team. Do you see real light at the end of this tunnel? My friend, I'm having trouble seeing it, to be honest.

I guess that's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that this rebuilt can't be done half way because at some point, you'll be coming out of it and figure out that you're just not good enough. You're good enough to maybe make the conference finals if all goes well but you have too many holes still.

That light at the end of the tunnel might be a hell of a lot brighter if we drafted in the top 5 one more season.

Right now we have one trade chip to fill two holes. I don't think we get the rebuild done with unless we draft in the top 5 one more time. We over achieved the one year fine... We got Landeskog instead of Hall/Seguin, we need one more core piece for the top 6 or the top pair on defense. We can trade one of our centers for the other...

Yup, exactly.

Stewart might have been sad to leave, but he took the parting shot at Avs fans when he did.

Actually, all the guy said was 'that it's nice to play in front of a packed house' or something to that effect. If that means to you that he thinks Avs fans suck, that's your call but the Avs were a horrible team when he was traded and not exactly filling up the Pepsi Center. I took it as more of a 'factual' thing than anything else.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

I agree he is a flawed player but can still be a positive contributor if you have realistic expectations for him. I wouldn't want to move O'reilly for him but IF (big if) we can ever re-sign ROR I'd consider trading Stastny for him. Two flawed, underachieving players, with almost identical cap hits, and each with one year left on their deals. Closest thing to a top pairing D we could get for Paul in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad