Speculation: Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Other one was getting close to the limit.

So do we know how serve his foot injury even is?

"A team that understands the conditions for quality & the ability to practice the psychology of quality will always be a contender for The Cup"

"Self-evaluation is the tool for change. When you look for the good in people or yourself you create an environment for self-improvement"

"Spent 3 days working with the Detroit Red Wings, great bunch of guys,class organization. Lets create the impossible!"

"Great Employers acknowledge contribution of employees and assist them to become more creative in improving the level of quality in a System"

"We want to be famous, a big shot the key person as an escape from our boring petty lives. To envy or be envied is the sickness of greed"

"It is fundamentally wrong for one human being to evaluate another. Practicing the conditions for quality self evaluation is the tool for greatness"

Brianov: Scholar, Philosopher, Inspirational Leader, Hippie.

Last edited:

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Man...if he does get traded, why do I have the sinking feeling that the Avs will screw it up and get less value in return?

Seeing as how his value right now is pretty low, if there is a trade it isn't going to blow your socks off. But the only way I see the Avs trading him, as opposed to letting him rot, is if the return had the right appeal. Whether or not that would be perceived as value is unknown. With expectations what they are around here, I think anything less than Hossa would be seen as an insult and an excuse to sit in sackcloth and ashes.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Why would Avs trade him? It's close to impossible for the team to have done something that would warrant it. They're not idiots.

They are disagreeing on what he should be paid and for how long. In the process the player may sulk a bit. He'll get over it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It wouldn't be a Turris. It would be a Niederreiter.

- I want a trade.
- No. Grow up.

Nino is under contract and playing for the organization that owns his rights.

ROR and Turris are basically, same situation. The Turris fiasco started out as a contract dispute, and it wasn't until well into the season that the trade demands surfaced. It became clear that Phoenix was unwilling to deal him unsigned so he signed. They even dressed him for some games, but he began intentionally dogging it and sabotaging his own team, so they scratched him until they found a trade partner. The ROR situation has not got anywhere near that ugly, but the Turris situation wasn't all that ugly five games into the season, either.

The Turris dispute was about money, but more over about his role on the team. I can see a bit of that in the ROR situation.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nino is under contract and playing for the organization that owns his rights.

ROR and Turris are basically, same situation. The Turris fiasco started out as a contract dispute, and it wasn't until well into the season that the trade demands surfaced. It became clear that Phoenix was unwilling to deal him unsigned so he signed. They even dressed him for some games, but he began intentionally dogging it and sabotaging his own team, so they scratched him until they found a trade partner. The ROR situation has not got anywhere near that ugly, but the Turris situation wasn't all that ugly five games into the season, either.

The Turris dispute was about money, but more over about his role on the team. I can see a bit of that in the ROR situation.

O'Reilly has zero reason to complain about his role on the Avs. He's being given every chance to succeed here, to the extent that now his agent asks for $5M/year.

Like I said, it's hard thinking of a scenario where the team has done anything that would warrant asking for a trade here.

It's possible O'Reilly is a head case, disguised as a hard worker, and will eventually ask for a trade. It seems quite unlikely. It's more likely that he's a stubborn and proud guy that won't back down and is frustrated the team isn't backing down.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
as i said before, want, does not get.
he and his agent may want a certain salary, but they're not going to get it because the market doesn't bear it out and the Kroenke's are not going to pay it.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Bah, this all blows chunks....

O'Reilly in the lineup fixes the Avs 3 biggest problems right now, a sucky PK, being horrible at faceoffs, and adds some added scoring depth...well, maybe not fixes the PK, but at least makes it somewhat respectable.

Ryan, get off your high horse, sign a 2 year deal and be done with it. If you are still not happy with your role and do not think you will max out on your money, demand a trade in the off-season...either that or come back and have great finish to the year and motivate the Avs to trade Stastny and keep you. I have zero problems with a guy asking for a change/trade when it does not impact the season currently in progress....

Sgarbossa -Stastny-Jones
Lando-Duchene-PA
McGinn-O'Reilly-Hejduk
Olver-Mitchell-McLeod

Do eet.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
What would be the asking price for RoR anyways? It looks to me from the outside looking in (Sabres Fan) that you need bottom pairing D help and a Scoring RW is this correct? More importantly what do you think the Avs will want for the rights to RoR? Something along the lines of; under 25 2nd line RW, 4-6 D man with some upside do it or are you looking more for prospect than young players. Thanks !

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What would be the asking price for RoR anyways? It looks to me from the outside looking in (Sabres Fan) that you need bottom pairing D help and a Scoring RW is this correct? More importantly what do you think the Avs will want for the rights to RoR? Something along the lines of; under 25 2nd line RW, 4-6 D man with some upside do it or are you looking more for prospect than young players. Thanks !

We are looking for NHL proven players with high upside, notably a defenseman. Someone like Ekman-Larsson, Fowler, Subban, or Kulikov that have looked good in the NHL, but still have potential.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

No need for bottom pairing D. We have a bushel of them as is. Need legit D-men who can eventually play on the top pairing, as well as center depth.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Bottom pairing D help? The Avs could damn near field a softball team with all of the bottom pairing D around here. The Avs need three 1st/2nd pairing defensemen.

And then need to rid themselves of a few 2- and 3- year contracts, which will be almost impossible to do, given who has those contracts and how much they make.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Cool, Dater is angry and he is not a coward, respect. :)

I do agree with him questioning the management, at least I have big question marks, what the hell is goig on?

I don't have an issue with the criticism. No, but "They cut off their nose to spite their face time and again with players who want what – fair or not – is their perceived value."
I'm just not sure I get this. When have they done it. If he is referring to Mueller and Fleischmann, both had major health issues that prevented the Avs from committing to them. I don't see that as an issue. This seems to me as a pot-shot at management, which is why I stopped paying attention to this guy in the 1st place.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
EDIT: Answered above.

So does that mean he has to be signed by the end of NEXT season? (2013-14)

That's my take on it, if he remains unsigned at the conclusion of the 2013-2014 season, he would then be a UFA for the upcoming FA class.

Looks like any perceived leverage just landed back in the lap of Ryan O'Reilly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is no way ROR holds out for all of next season as well. It would make his value plummet and he would have lots to prove to any team willing to take a risk on him. He would be much better off signing a bridge deal (maybe a 1 year prorated $3m) and asking for a trade in the summer.

Now that provision makes the Russian factor even larger. They could finish an ELC then play in mother Russia for 2 years and possibly be a UFA by 23 or 24.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
This really reminds me of the Mike Peca situation 10 years ago. Would Colarado be interested in a package consisting of say Ennis (2nd line C/W) + Choice of McNabb/Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (Top 2 d prospects) or more like a Myers for RoR+ ?

Also as a total aside when I lived on the east coast we called ham pepper and onion omelets westerns. When I moved to the west coast we called them Denver omelets. What are they called in Denver?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't have an issue with the criticism. No, but "They cut off their nose to spite their face time and again with players who want what – fair or not – is their perceived value."
I'm just not sure I get this. When have they done it. If he is referring to Mueller and Fleischmann, both had major health issues that prevented the Avs from committing to them. I don't see that as an issue. This seems to me as a pot-shot at management, which is why I stopped paying attention to this guy in the 1st place.

I don't think he's referring to Fleischmann, because of the fact that having PE would make it VERY tough for him to work/live in Denver.

But Lappy, Hendricks, Bruno, etc.

It's quite a list of players that have left due to this

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think he's referring to Fleischmann, because of the fact that having PE would make it VERY tough for him to work/live in Denver.

But Lappy, Hendricks, Bruno, etc.

It's quite a list of players that have left due to this

None of those situations are even close to being analogous to this. Bruno wasn't even offered a contract and Lappy got more money elsewhere. Both of these guys were older players and Avs were going younger.

Avs wanted to sign Hendricks to a two-way contract and when he didn't want that he was let go, but let's not pretend he was some super asset Avs screwed up here. Hendricks wasn't offered a contract by a single team that summer and was a camp invite with Caps.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

You have no problems with the Avs being one of the lowest spending teams in the NHL?

I guess not.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
There is no way ROR holds out for all of next season as well. It would make his value plummet and he would have lots to prove to any team willing to take a risk on him. He would be much better off signing a bridge deal (maybe a 1 year prorated $3m) and asking for a trade in the summer.

Now that provision makes the Russian factor even larger. They could finish an ELC then play in mother Russia for 2 years and possibly be a UFA by 23 or 24.

This is kind of how I see it. Unless he goes and signs in Russia again, I can't really see him wanting to sit idle for two straight years - how big of a contract would he get as a UFA in that case? Someone would definitely take a chance on him but he'd have to prove himself. Something like a 1 year 2-3 mil contract?

Does he really want to earn a smaller one year salary over the course of 3 years or does he want to get back on the ice, making money and prove his worth and earn a huge payday? A sensible person would sign with his team rather than holding out. I don't really think this gives him immediate leverage, but certainly more than when management could have chosen to let him rot for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad