Speculation: Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
what were the parting comments?

Right after they were traded, they both said unflattering things about the organization. I listed them below, but please keep in mind that I'm paraphrasing:

Anderson made more of a veiled implication, as he said that it's great that he found a place (in Ottawa) where where he's going to be happy, and where players are treated with respect and the organization communicates with their players.

Quincey was more direct, and said that there are a lot of his Avs teammates who wouldn't be unhappy to go, that he had a smile on his face and his teammates were jealous that Quincey got out of there, and that other players were pissed that they weren't leaving as well.

Again, I'm paraphrasing that from memory. Their actual quotes were probably a bit different, but that's basically the tone.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Well, if so, that would be 3 lost seasons in the past 5 years (and missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 7). How patient should people really be?

After all the conversations we've all had about where this team is at currently and where they are likely headed in the future, I think you would admit that we have 2 pretty big holes on the back end that won't just be filled magically. With Downie's season ender in game #2 and Landeskog's concussion in game #4 combined with the fact that we were a bubble team to begin with just seems like we're in for another bad season. A top 5 pick (or better) would do wonders for this team and if you only need to go through a shortened season to significantly improve and get a solid piece, it's not so bad given the situation.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that it doesn't have anything to do with money. I have a feeling O'R just wants out of Colorado. And I'm not sure that comes from contract negotiations either.

For what it's worth, I completely believed Anderson's and Quincey's parting comments when they were traded from the organization.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. One could argue that those guys wanted to stay because they really enjoyed living in Denver and felt slighted not being part of the future of this team. We're seeing players WANTING to re-sign here and these are guys that could have easily WALKED (Jones, O'Brien) but since the organization wanted them, they re-signed. I guess it's a lot harder to keep your trap closed when you're NOT wanted than when you are.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Stewart and Shatty were sad to leave, Anderson felt insulted by the contract offer he got from Colorado and he quickly became a locker room cancer.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Stewart and Shatty were sad to leave, Anderson felt insulted by the contract offer he got from Colorado and he quickly became a locker room cancer.

And then ended up getting less money than he was offered here.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
After all the conversations we've all had about where this team is at currently and where they are likely headed in the future, I think you would admit that we have 2 pretty big holes on the back end that won't just be filled magically. With Downie's season ender in game #2 and Landeskog's concussion in game #4 combined with the fact that we were a bubble team to begin with just seems like we're in for another bad season. A top 5 pick (or better) would do wonders for this team and if you only need to go through a shortened season to significantly improve and get a solid piece, it's not so bad given the situation.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. One could argue that those guys wanted to stay because they really enjoyed living in Denver and felt slighted not being part of the future of this team. We're seeing players WANTING to re-sign here and these are guys that could have easily WALKED (Jones, O'Brien) but since the organization wanted them, they re-signed. I guess it's a lot harder to keep your trap closed when you're NOT wanted than when you are.
I hate it when the Avs lose and I always want them to make the playoffs. However I have to admit there is a small part of me that is agreeing with the bold comment.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I hate it when the Avs lose and I always want them to make the playoffs. However I have to admit there is a small part of me that is agreeing with the bold comment.

Agreed, and with the injuries piling up and Oreilly situation not resolving itself, it's actually starting to become somewhat comical to watch the on ice product right now, Hunwick on the top pairing, Jones playing Drunk, Zanon/Obyrne, etc.

Under normal circumstances I hate seeing the Avs lose, but this year isn't normal, and I would be 100% fine with us picking up Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm out of this draft and moving forward. Our Offense either becomes lethal with those guys, or our Defense finally looks respectable with EJ and Jones mounting the fort.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

But it *is* bad. I'll take the Top 5 pick, but 3 tank years out of 5? That's NY Islanders territory. I get that bad things have happened this season, but this is the 4th year they've been rebuilding the team. Do you see real light at the end of this tunnel? My friend, I'm having trouble seeing it, to be honest.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Ah, the locker room cancer thing again.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011

Under normal circumstances I hate seeing the Avs lose, but this year isn't normal, and I would be 100% fine with us picking up Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Lindholm out of this draft and moving forward. Our Offense either becomes lethal with those guys, or our Defense finally looks respectable with EJ and Jones mounting the fort.

yep, making (squeeking into) the playoffs should not be any team's goal
winning the Stanley Cup should be the goal
and since we don't have a coach that will ever accomplish that goal I have no issue with sucking it up especially in this shortened season to better position ourself to do so in the future

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
I get that bad things have happened this season, but this is the 4th year they've been rebuilding the team. Do you see real light at the end of this tunnel?

not till the current coach of this team is gone

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
But it *is* bad. I'll take the Top 5 pick, but 3 tank years out of 5? That's NY Islanders territory. I get that bad things have happened this season, but this is the 4th year they've been rebuilding the team. Do you see real light at the end of this tunnel? My friend, I'm having trouble seeing it, to be honest.

That light at the end of the tunnel might be a hell of a lot brighter if we drafted in the top 5 one more season.

Right now we have one trade chip to fill two holes. I don't think we get the rebuild done with unless we draft in the top 5 one more time. We over achieved the one year fine... We got Landeskog instead of Hall/Seguin, we need one more core piece for the top 6 or the top pair on defense. We can trade one of our centers for the other...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Ah, the locker room cancer thing again.

Frankly, I could care less if he was a locker room cancer or not. He was clearly throwing games for the team while he was on the way out of Colorado and that in and of itself was enough to say good riddance.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands

It's also Penguins territory... ;)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Frankly, I could care less if he was a locker room cancer or not. He was clearly throwing games for the team while he was on the way out of Colorado and that in and of itself was enough to say good riddance.

Agreed, the way he played at the end of his tenure was pretty disgusting.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
yep, making (squeeking into) the playoffs should not be any team's goal
winning the Stanley Cup should be the goal
and since we don't have a coach that will ever accomplish that goal I have no issue with sucking it up especially in this shortened season to better position ourself to do so in the future

Of course it would be great for the future to get another top5 pick this year but seriously, I'm not that very long an avs fan yet so my best season to follow was 09-10 and wow, watching the avs in the playoffs almost beating San José was absolutely amazing.
As long as another top5 pick cannot guarantee any kind of success in the future I'd take the playoffs.
I would love to have something to cheer for about the avs and as soon as you get into the playoffs everything is possible (not saying the avs could win the cup by any means but still).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

The former is true, we have no idea if the latter is. But there appears to be some indications that after the Avs supposedly lowballed him, he quit playing his best hockey. I don't think the Sens were that much better defensively than the Avs (maybe) but he sure did start playing a hell of a lot better following the trade. I don't think that makes a guy a "locker room cancer" though. The only guy in the organization we know for sure was a divisive presence in the locker room was Darren Haydar.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
And then ended up getting less money than he was offered here.

He was upset with the shorter term we offered, it wasn't about the $ figure.
From what I understand again it was a take it or leave it kind of thing since he complained about lack of communication from management.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
If we continue suck, I hope its bad enough to draft top 4. After Barkov/Drouin, there are good players, but I don't think its worth it.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
if we continue to suck i want the #1 pick. though something tells me we will once again somehow not win the lotto and get stuck with #2 or #3.
nothing wrong with #2 in this draft but i badly want Jones.
him becoming an av would solve a lot of issues.
Sacco would likely be canned, the D would instantly be improved and EJ would have a top pairing D partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad