Speculation: Райан О'Рейли: In Soviet Ontario Offer Sheets Sign You; Rayan's 3rd Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I hope he goes to somewhere we won't have to hear about it from everyday. I can already see the headlines where some Canadian team gets him and starts talking about how amazing he is and that they 'found' a gem.

I will also never forgive him or the Avs management for losing him if we don't at least get a very solid return that makes me somewhat happy.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I guess we'll have to hope he's the 45-50 point guy he might be instead of the 65 point he might be. Avs management must have been doubting his offensive ceiling.

It's hard figuring out where he'll end up because he doesn't have a lot of offensive talent but a great deal of compete and work ethic.

Even if he manage to sulk his way to a trade, I'll still cheer for him. Bygones.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The Avs got a second round pick from Phoenix in the Morris trade which turned out to be Stastny...but we are in the "middle" of a rebuild now. We have had flashes where it looked like the team was starting to come together (When Stewy/Stastny/Gali were clicking comes to mind, or when Downie came over last year and O'Reilly and Landy were shining.

Losing O'Reilly now is going to be another setback in the "rebuild".

With ROR out and Stazz being probably gone in 1.5 years at the latest we are back to step 2:

We really need to tank hard this year. There is no point in rushing Landeskog EJ or anyone back. I hope the focus lies on the prospect part of the return. We want get an adequate roster player for him and we certainly don't need one for this abomination of a season.

I don't care that we just signed them:
EJ, Duchene, Varlamov, Landeskog, Parenteau, one of Barrie/Elliott, Sgarbossa, Hejduk, Downie (IR) need to stay.

McGinn should stay as well but I could see us getting one hell of a deal for him at the deadline. If someone wants to overpay like crap let them. Otherwise keep him.

Everyone else should be up for sale to the highest bidder.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is there a swede you do like?:rant:

He's put up 46pts on a defensive Washington team only 8 points less then semin. He's got drafted in 09 so, he's not done developing. I personally love that package.

What about Johansson, apart from his speed, impresses you?

I see a smaller Viktor Stålberg in him. We'd sink as a stone with him as a second line center.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Even though its not the East. Jack Johnson + Boone Jenner would've worked for me. Howson did get fired though so even more unlikely now than before. :(

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Congratulations to Paul Stastny I guess. He'll get a new contract for over $6M/year.

What an unbelievable trainwreck.

Well, I suppose the outcome of this trade will determine whether rebuild v2 will commence. Or v1.5 anyway. This trade is critical.

Not that it matters to most anyone, but my fandom may be in the balance.

Best of luck, Sherman.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even though its not the East. Jack Johnson + Boone Jenner would've worked for me. Howson did get fired though so even more unlikely now than before. :(

Columbus will probably go to the East in realignment.

I think JJ is off the table for any trade.

Veritas0Aequitas

Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
This makes me sick. I worry about Landeskogs production without O'Reilly as well. He didn't show a lot of chemistry with anyone else like he did with O'Reilly. I just hope we get something of value back. I'd gladly take something like Carlson + Kuznetsov back like someone mentioned before.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What about Johansson, apart from his speed, impresses you?

I see a smaller Viktor Stålberg in him. We'd sink as a stone with him as a second line center.

Stalberg is a hockey Pejorative Slur, mojo thinks the game really well and can pass the puck with the best of them. If we do sink with mojo it's a win won because will draft the next big stud. :sarcasm:

Winnipeg is also a good trading partner.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This makes me sick. I worry about Landeskogs production without O'Reilly as well. He didn't show a lot of chemistry with anyone else like he did with O'Reilly. I just hope we get something of value back. I'd gladly take something like Carlson + Kuznetsov back like someone mentioned before.

Landeskog hasn't played a single shift with Stastny, our best pure playmaker. I think they'll work well together.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Stalberg is a hockey Pejorative Slur, mojo thinks the game really well and can pass the puck with the best of them. If we do sink with mojo it's a win won because will draft the next big stud. :sarcasm:

Could be, but they are coming to the West as soon as next season, so that might prevent the Avs from pulling the trigger with them

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

I don't see that in Johansson. I guess Oates doesn't either, since Johansson is a healthy scratch again today.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
don't get why people are so up in arms about a potential trade. the Avs have done pretty well in trades under Sherman. people keep pointing to the Blues deal but Stewart hasn't done crap, Shattenkirk is a beast but they weren't nearly as good until they made the coaching change.

i have no doubts the avs will do well in the trade. it will likely take a while to see the impact of it though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Could be, but they are coming to the West as soon as next season, so that might prevent the Avs from pulling the trigger with them

The realignment is a mystery right now. If the avs have a deal with the jets but don't pull in fear of facing Ryan then they're idiots. O'Reilly is not ****ing Crosby, get the best deal regardless of what team he's going to.

I'm thinking trouba and Burmi or scheifele.

I don't see that in Johansson. I guess Oates doesn't either, since Johansson is a healthy scratch again today.

Yeah, I noticed he's struggling this year but who isn't on the caps?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
don't get why people are so up in arms about a potential trade. the Avs have done pretty well in trades under Sherman. people keep pointing to the Blues deal but Stewart hasn't done crap, Shattenkirk is a beast but they weren't nearly as good until they made the coaching change.

i have no doubts the avs will do well in the trade. it will likely take a while to see the impact of it though.

Care to elaborate?
The only really good deal he made was McGinn + Pirate for Winnik and Galiardi and there he had all the leverage because the SJS GM was in a terrible position (lost his job if no playoffs) and he took advantage.

I still dislike the Varly trade (not Varlamov!).
I hate the Liles trade. We let Fleischmann and Mueller walk. So we traded basically Wolski and Hannan for nothing. Both guys are not playing for the other teams either. So it was a wash basically.
Hunwick was a fail trade. ROB was an ok trade.

So what trade gives you confidence in Shermans abilities?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Care to elaborate?
The only really good deal he made was McGinn + Pirate for Winnik and Galiardi and there he had all the leverage because the SJS GM was in a terrible position (lost his job if no playoffs) and he took advantage.

I still dislike the Varly trade (not Varlamov!).
I hate the Liles trade. We let Fleischmann and Mueller walk. So we traded basically Wolski and Hannan for nothing. Both guys are not playing for the other teams either. So it was a wash basically.
Hunwick was a fail trade. ROB was an ok trade.

So what trade gives you confidence in Shermans abilities?
Confused as to what makes any of these bad trades.
Varly looks to be Legit #1 and although we may have over paid, I can't name another #1 who was acquired for much less lately.
Wolski got us Porter :sarcasm:
Hunwick for Cohen at worst is a wash since Cohen has done nothing in the NHL

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
Can anyone remind me again why Avs fans are upset? Because they aren't spending 5m a year on a 50 point career year guy?

He's a 0.45PPG career guy.. the guy apparently think's he's worth superstar RFA money.

Ryan Kesler in the middle of a 70 point season signed a 5m extension to keep him away from UNRESTRICTED free agency. AND THIS WAS WHEN THE CAP WAS GOING UP, NOT DOWN!!

O'Reilly is deluded if he actually think's he's worth 5m.. maybe he will be in 2-3 years or maybe he becomes the next Marek Svatos and drops off the face of the planet.

I'm critical of this organization but this is not one of the moves I disagree with.

Let's face it, he's not worth 5m.. Avs fans have this mindset that hey we have a lot of cap space just pay him.. but if the Avs decide it's OK to pay 1-2m than he's probably worth.. but look to the future more. If you pay him 1-2m more then you'll end up having Duchene, Varlamov, Landeskog, and any other young player on the team expecting a bit more cheese.

If you end up paying each of them 1-2m more all the sudden that cap space goes away quickly. That 4-8m could be used a few real #2/#3 quality D-Men.

If he was actually worth the money he wanted some team would have sent him an offer sheet over the past 3+ months (not including the lockout).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad