Speculation: Zack Smith expendable?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it'll be interesting to see what michalek wants on a new contract. If it's enough of a discount from his current deal, i could see us keeping him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's one shortened season removed from his career high in goals.

Not sure why we are so quick to write him off.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's one shortened season removed from his career high in goals.

Not sure why we are so quick to write him off.

Its more of a "not a good fit". So far he been getting in the way of the Spezza-Ryan connection. Obviously could change as its only been 2 games. Ive never liked Turris and Michalek together, their play styles just dont mesh well. He's a waste on the 3rd line. He hasn't exactly been good in the playoffs, either.

Michalek for Hemsky+. Change it up.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hemsky is even more injury prone than Milan.

Don't agree on this one.

I agree that Ottawa management will be watching Michalek closely this season though.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So people want to trade an injury prone player (michalek) just for another injury prone player (hemsky). :shakehead

The best course of action right now is to just sit back and watch how michalek plays this season.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Hope he brings it this year. He hasn't played that in your face gritty style for ages.

Wait and see for me.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd sign Milan right now. Pageau will stick. Someone else will be on the block.

As much as I hate to say it, Smith is probably the most expendable, but I think it would be jumping the gun to trade anyone right now.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
I'd sign Milan right now. Pageau will stick. Someone else will be on the block.

As much as I hate to say it, Smith is probably the most expendable, but I think it would be jumping the gun to trade anyone right now.

Agreed. Let's give it a month or so into the season to make a roster player trade

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
i do see the plus side of trading Zach Smith while his value is high, but the recent memory of the line brawl with MTL keeps popping up so we need a centre who can stand his ground if that situation comes up. I feel trading him leaves us soft at centre. We can ice a tough guy in all other 5 positions. Gryba Cowen Neil, Lehner and Kassian; so the meathead hockey fan in me wants to hold onto him.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You guys are crazy. We need players like Smith, Neil and Greening. They are money in the playoffs. I'd rather have Smith than Hemsky on my team, unless someone is going to replace what Smith brings. Which we don't have at the moment.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Smith seems to take a few too many nights off. Frustrating because when he's on he's really on.

I think part of the problem is people expect Smith to produce points from the 4th line, a very difficult task considering who usually lines up with him.

The measure I usually use is the coach's comments and MacLean likes what Zack brings, he has said so on many an occasion.

While I really like Pageau and believe he deserves to make the team, if Murray needs to move someone to make room I hope it is not Smith.

I do enjoy watching talented smaller players, but I am not a fan of teams built like the Canadiens of the recent past.

With a potential lineup that could include a combination of Conacher, Pageau, Condra, Hoffman, Turris, and Karlsson it would be a major mistake to trade a guy like Smith.

With Smith gone it would leave Neil as the only regular to provide a deterrent and Murray didn't believe Neil and Smith were enough last season.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I dont think Michalek has shown he can not be replaced. Ima give him some time though, not fair to judge so quick but he left unbelievable bitter taste in my mouth last year and playoffs.

He was playing on one leg last year, probably should have been put on the injury reserve list.

But he stuck it out trying to help a team swamped with injuries and some fans now want him traded.:shakehead

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He was playing on one leg last year, probably should have been put on the injury reserve list.

But he stuck it out trying to help a team swamped with injuries and some fans now want him traded.:shakehead

That's the problem though, when's the last playoffs he hasnt played on one leg for us? It's hurt his performance big time but like I said, finna give him some time.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
If the Oilers take JOB and Smith for Hemsky at 50% the Sens actually shed 25K in salary and cost.

hemsky makes 5.5M for 1 year
smith makes 1.5M this year, 7.55M over 4
job makes 650k for 1 year

so that trade still makes the sens roster 600k more expensive (plus pageau makes an extra 540k in the nhl, and if we carry 14 forwards dacosta makes an extra 735k or stone makes an extra 563k. I'll go with dacosta since he has to clear waivers.

end result, sens pay an extra 1.875M to swap:

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Greening-Zibanejad-Neil
Hoffman-Smith-Condra
Kassian, O'Brien
- da costa maybe lost to waivers but probably not.
for
Hemsky-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Michalek
Greening-Zibanejad-Conacher
Hoffman-Pageau-Condra
Kassian, Da Costa
- no-one lost to waivers

is that worth 1.875M to murray considering the financial pressures from melnyk?

the path of least resistance is:
waive JOB and Da Costa, keep pageau and hoffman in the NHL. If JOB gets claimed, payroll goes down by 110k (job salary minus pageau's nhl raise). If JOB doesnt, payroll goes up by 540k (pageau's raise).

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
You guys are crazy. We need players like Smith, Neil and Greening. They are money in the playoffs. I'd rather have Smith than Hemsky on my team, unless someone is going to replace what Smith brings. Which we don't have at the moment.

God Says No:

I agree but so many on this blog only want to see skill players on the Senators....................

Ottawa needs the Grit of Smith, Neil, & Greening I do NOT think any of them will be traded away..............................

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Jean Gabriel Pageau continues to turn heads in the preseason. The thinking is that he will force management's hand, and will stick with the big squad in spite of his two-way contract status.

He is a centre through and through, and Bryan Murray has insisted on keeping Mika at centre as well. With Spezza and Turris, all four centre slots are covered should JGP make the cut.

Both Mika and JGP are younger, and have more offensive upside than Zack Smith. Smith could theoretically be pushed to the wing on the third, or more realistically, the fourth line.

My thinking, however, is that he would hold more value in a trade scenario than he would as a depth winger for this organization. Moreover, Bryan Murray stated in a radio interview two days ago that there are too many forwards that are at or near NHL readiness, and he hinted at the possibility of a trade.

Thoughts on moving Smith versus keeping him? Potential trade partners?

No. No, No and more no.

This team is butter soft as it is, especially in our top 6. Smith can elevate to the top 6 if injuries strike.

We need him on this team, he helps provide our identity as a tough hard working group. Neil is getting older and after that we don't have much else.

Want to move a few bodies? Get rid of 4th line plugger, JOB, or hands of stone Condra or career AHL'er Da Costa. All of those 3 should be moved before Smith is talked about.

I don't want to turn into the Habs and get pushed around.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

That's the problem though, when's the last playoffs he hasnt played on one leg for us? It's hurt his performance big time but like I said, finna give him some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00