Speculation: Zack Smith expendable?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I think people in general here get way too bent out of shape about having an extra body at C. There are many cases where talented Cs get moved to the wing to make the team more lethal. Granted, Smith did not do well when that was tried last year, but that was then and this is now. Someone will convert, and all of a sudden we wont have a hole on the right side on the second line anymore.

Agreed 100%.

Look at Team Canada's roster and tell me it's a negative that they have too many guys who can take faceoffs. Granted, Team Canada is obviously more talented, but the principle remains the same - multiple centers on a line means a great fallback option if your C gets kicked out of the draw.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well apparently Zibanejad was on the wing with Mac and Turris yesterday.

I am not your typical "trade Spezza" type every time he makes a blind pass to the other team, but it is a reality of sports.

He is getting older (compared to the new "core" players), he is pretty expensive, and he could get us a pretty good return.

Don't look at the team as is - Spezza, look at it as is, + what Spezza could get you.

I was not saying "trade Spezza" now. He has a NMC anyway, (the BM special).

Zibanejad lining up on the wing tells me they are indeed looking to make room for Pageau down the middle. Zack Smith fans rejoice.

Ok have to post about this misconception...

On the Sens, there's only 5 players with no movement clause...

Spezza, Karlsson ("Elite" players)
Neil, Phillips (Vets, Sens for life, needed some security)
MacArthur (short term deal)

If you look around the league (capgeek can show you that), you can see that there is a lot of that (check the bruins or the Pens for example)

Berserker*

It would be a stretch to call Spezza a top 5 center in the league right now, though the reality is there is not much separating him from those outside the top three of your list, lots of very good players in that 4-15 range. That said, given you've listed 11 guys that I assume you think are arguable better than Spezza, I have a hard time rationalizing your suggestion of top 15 potential for Pageau, Zibanejad or Turris. Top end for those guys in my mind is more in line with the Kreici level centers.

I don't necessarily think that all those players are better than Spezza, I was just trying to create a list of players that would be in contention to be top 10/15 centres in the league. I probably missed a few.

I just think it is pretty damn hard to justify the Spezza is among the top 5 from hat group. If he was, he would have been invited to the team Canada summer camp.

Berserker*

Wasn't he 4th is scoring two years ago? Then missed a lockout shortened season due to injury? Not a lot has changed.

Top players are measured by their consistency. If Spezza can stay in the top 5 in scoring for 3 years in a row then you are on to something.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Top players are measured by their consistency. If Spezza can stay in the top 5 in scoring for 3 years in a row then you are on to something.

How many of these other players listed above Spezza have been in the top 5 in scoring 3 years straight?

Are you holding other players to the same standard?

Consistency!?! Ask yourself this: How many of those players are PPG for their careers?

I wonder if that should count for something...

p.s. Spezza is better than several players on the Team Canada try out roster, the point is moot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't necessarily think that all those players are better than Spezza, I was just trying to create a list of players that would be in contention to be top 10/15 centres in the league. I probably missed a few.

I just think it is pretty damn hard to justify the Spezza is among the top 5 from hat group. If he was, he would have been invited to the team Canada summer camp.

Outside of the generational talent or close to it level guys (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos), the top 5 gets rounded out by flavour of the week imo. 4-15 or even 4 to 20 are all guys that under the right conditions could be considered top 5 centers. My main point is that if it's that hard to for a guy like Spezza to break into the top 5, how on earth are Pageau Turris and Zibanejad going to break into the top 15 or 20? While possible it's highly unlikely and imo Spezza has a better chance of breaking the top 5.

As for an invite to team Canada, had the camp been held last offseason, he probably would have got an invite. Spending the bulk of last season on the IR made that a long shot. On top of that, Team Canada's penchant for defining roles for its lines means you get invites because they can fill that role. If they were trying to make 4 1st lines, you might have seen a different look, but they want to have a shutdown line, as they should.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How many of these other players listed above Spezza have been in the top 5 in scoring 3 years straight?

Are you holding other players to the same standard?

Consistency!?! Ask yourself this: How many of those players are PPG for their careers?

I wonder if that should count for something...

p.s. Spezza is better than several players on the Team Canada try out roster, the point is moot

And yet, he doesn't get an invite, yet again.

Smith is a valauble player to this team in that he can move up & down the lineup, play a number of different roles for the team & still put up some decent numbers. You need big players who are willing to do the dirty work on any championship team & he continues to get better. IMO he is trending upwards for this team & hopefully he can add a little more offence to his game this yr.

John Holmes*

Ok have to post about this misconception...

On the Sens, there's only 5 players with no movement clause...

Spezza, Karlsson ("Elite" players)
Neil, Phillips (Vets, Sens for life, needed some security)
MacArthur (short term deal)

If you look around the league (capgeek can show you that), you can see that there is a lot of that (check the bruins or the Pens for example)

So what is the misconception?

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
No idea. BM has given lots of NMC to players especially when the team was on a decline. I love how he posts the elite teams' contract situtaions.

Sens are prob in the bottom half of the league in terms of total nmc/ntc's per team.

Edit: I got bored checking, but now I think they might be in the bottom 3rd of the league

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Please stop. Now you're just embarrassing yourself.

60+ points in the regular season, impeccable two-way play, 3 years younger, steps up his play BIG in the playoffs and has led the playoffs in scoring twice. He's ridiculously talented.

I'm not embarrassed.

SaxPlayer

Apr 20, 2007
Ottawa
60+ points in the regular season, impeccable two-way play, 3 years younger, steps up his play BIG in the playoffs and has led the playoffs in scoring twice. He's ridiculously talented.

I'm not embarrassed.

Career stats:
  • Spezza: 1.02 PPG in regular season, 0.93 PPG in playoffs
  • Krejci: 0.73 PPG in regular season, 0.90 PPG in playoffs

I'm not saying Spezza is the best centre in the league. But to say you'd trade Krejci straight up, or that the Sens would do the same, is just silly. But that's okay, we all know you believe Spezza should be traded straight up for whatever the Sens can get for him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So what is the misconception?

Seriously? Ok, I'll play

You insinuate that Bryan Murray throws no-movement clauses like candies, when IN FACT, he does that less than the average GM. Evidence? Just take a look on capgeek, it's there for unaware people to see...

No idea. BM has given lots of NMC to players especially when the team was on a decline. I love how he posts the elite teams' contract situtaions.

Just look at non-elite teams then. You are in for a big surprise...

You guys are just biased, even if you seem to think it's the opposite.

Sens are prob in the bottom half of the league in terms of total nmc/ntc's per team.

Edit: I got bored checking, but now I think they might be in the bottom 3rd of the league

Yup. Comforting to see that there's still some people who like facts instead of just spewing crap on message boards...

John Holmes*

So the fact that Gonchar and Heatley are gone gives you a little extra fuel I suppose.

Funny how that is what you focused on out of the post.

Some may go out of their way to criticize Murray, but some seem to go out of their way to "praise him".

Last edited by a moderator:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Career stats:
  • Spezza: 1.02 PPG in regular season, 0.93 PPG in playoffs
  • Krejci: 0.73 PPG in regular season, 0.90 PPG in playoffs

I'm not saying Spezza is the best centre in the league. But to say you'd trade Krejci straight up, or that the Sens would do the same, is just silly. But that's okay, we all know you believe Spezza should be traded straight up for whatever the Sens can get for him.

Krejci is also a much better defensive player that Spezza, sometimes keeping the puck out of your net is just as important as putting it into the net. While I doubt this trade would ever happen there is also something to say about a proven winner & a guy who had a lot to do with his teammates all wearing rings. Richards doesn't lead the league in scoring either but is considered a winner & a great leader as is Brown & Toews & all are very good defensively & all play a 200' game.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Yup. Comforting to see that there's still some people who like facts instead of just spewing crap on message boards...

Sens are coming out of a rebuild, ofc they aren't going to have many NMCs in their salary structure.

BM had a habit of giving out NMCs in the past, that was then. We'll see how he does now. Lose the holier than thou attitude btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad