Speculation: Zack Smith expendable?

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Jean Gabriel Pageau continues to turn heads in the preseason. The thinking is that he will force management's hand, and will stick with the big squad in spite of his two-way contract status.

He is a centre through and through, and Bryan Murray has insisted on keeping Mika at centre as well. With Spezza and Turris, all four centre slots are covered should JGP make the cut.

Both Mika and JGP are younger, and have more offensive upside than Zack Smith. Smith could theoretically be pushed to the wing on the third, or more realistically, the fourth line.

My thinking, however, is that he would hold more value in a trade scenario than he would as a depth winger for this organization. Moreover, Bryan Murray stated in a radio interview two days ago that there are too many forwards that are at or near NHL readiness, and he hinted at the possibility of a trade.

Thoughts on moving Smith versus keeping him? Potential trade partners?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd trade him for a defenceman. But they are in pretty high demand.

I can't think of any other obvious needs.

As it is, he has some experience and grit so I think it's a bit premature to rely on some of the youngsters before the season is underway.

Berserker*

Unlikely. We don't have much grit/physicality in our group of forwards, so if Smith is being moved it is because someone who brings that same element is replacing him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I've been saying Smith is expendable for at least a season and a half now.

He's a nice player, don't get me wrong, but he's hardly as valuable as some have made him out to be around here, and parts of his game (specifically: his offensive ceiling, and part of his his "toughness"- he's a tough player, but he's hardly the "deterrent" some people claim he is) are highly overrated, IMO.

Again: nice player, but hardly irreplaceable or unique. Players like Smith are great to have when they're on their ELC's because they're so useful on a cap team, but
a) it' not like we are in a tough spot, cap-wise, and
b) his current contract isn't a bargain.

I'm not saying we need to trade Smith just to get rid of the guy, he's a useful hockey player, but if a scenario came around where we could improve another part of the team and the main piece going out was Zach Smith, we have more than enough players like him ("brings grit") just waiting for an opportunity in our farm system at the moment.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Unlikely. We don't have much grit/physicality in our group of forwards, so if Smith is being moved it is because someone who brings that same element is replacing him.

So you think he'll stay on as a wing? Centre?

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
He is loved to death by Murray and Maclean for reason beyond me, so he isn't moving. As much as it pains me to say we need to keep him for his physical play more than anything. After Neil retires, he is the only "tough-guy who can play" that we have.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He is loved to death by Murray and Maclean for reason beyond me, so he isn't moving. As much as it pains me to say we need to keep him for his physical play more than anything. After Neil retires, he is the only "tough-guy who can play" that we have.

They are grooming him to take over that role?

If only he could fight like Neil.

One M0RE YEAR

Jun 5, 2013
anyone think pageau could be a top 6 rw for us? i feel like he would fit in perfectly with maca and turris

Berserker*

I've been saying Smith is expendable for at least a season and a half now.

He's a nice player, don't get me wrong, but he's hardly as valuable as some have made him out to be around here, and parts of his game (specifically: his offensive ceiling, and part of his his "toughness"- he's a tough player, but he's hardly the "deterrent" some people claim he is) are highly overrated, IMO.

Smith's value is more of a physical presence/agitator than that of an enforcer. But, with that said, he does lack consistency in that department. Smith sometimes gets too caught up trying to play a skilled game and in doing so, stops becoming much of a physical presence or pest to the opposition. When he plays that style, he starts to become expendable because we have better players that can take on the more "skilled" role. What he needs to do is start playing a lot more like Neil; he needs to start looking for some big hits and really start becoming a pain to play against on a consistent basis.

Again: nice player, but hardly irreplaceable or unique. Players like Smith are great to have when they're on their ELC's because they're so useful on a cap team, but
a) it' not like we are in a tough spot, cap-wise, and
b) his current contract isn't a bargain.

I'm not saying we need to trade Smith just to get rid of the guy, he's a useful hockey player, but if a scenario came around where we could improve another part of the team and the main piece going out was Zach Smith, we have more than enough players like him ("brings grit") just waiting for an opportunity in our farm system at the moment.

Which players are you referring to here? The players not currently on the team that bring somewhat of a similar element are Dziuryznski, Cowick, Kramer, Lazar and possibly Robinson.

Berserker*

anyone think pageau could be a top 6 rw for us? i feel like he would fit in perfectly with maca and turris

Pageau's style of play is better suited at centre. He probably wouldn't be as effective on the wing, so it would better for the organization to either move another centre to wing or ship one of them out.

Berserker*

They are grooming him to take over that role?

If only he could fight like Neil.

I think the organization it trying to groom Kramer for that role. I don't know if the original plan was to groom smith for that role, but if it was, I don't think it is the case anymore.

Another option would be to teach Dziuryznski how to fight.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He excels at the "I am rubber, you are glue" type of agitation. This works against more angst-ridden players like Crosby and Phaneuf. Who on the team would replace that?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Which players are you referring to here? The players not currently on the team that bring somewhat of a similar element are Dziuryznski, Cowick, Kramer, Lazar and possibly Robinson.

Guys I was thinking of specifically were Dziurzyzinzkzi and Grant, with a nod to Buddy Robinson as a potential replacement within a year or so, depending on how his development progresses. Kramer's not ready to skate in the NHL at the moment, and Lazar will be a beauty but is at least 1-2 years away.

Like I said, we don't NEED to trade him, but if doing so helps us out elsewhere, there are guys who can fill his minutes and role on the 4th line who will be cheaper and probably just as/ almost as effective.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Zack Smith can play LW, but not much place there as well... Move Greening or Conacher instead? I don't think

Package Smith with Da Costa... Should net us a good reward

However, what? A defenseman? Maybe but we're pretty much stacked and that "problem" will just get bigger and bigger as time rolls with the way we are drafting and developing players...

If Greening has more value in a trade, then move him but we just extended him, so is it "possible"?

As it stands now if Pageau makes the team and if they want their centers to be as the following :

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Greening-Zibanejad-Neil
Smith-Pageau-Condra
O'Brien/Kassian

Call-ups : Stone, Da Costa, Hoffman, Petersson, Robinson, Prince, Puempel, DD, Grant...

wow too much depth, what are we going to do next year?

Tape2Tape

Aug 18, 2010
Not sure if JGP is making Smith expendable, but he may be making Condra expendable. JGP has phenomenal hockey sense, can kill penalties, has great speed, basically all the same intangibles that Condra offers, with one major exception, JGP has offensive instincts as well where as we've seen Condra's lucky to score 1 goal for every 50 chances he gets.

Taking out Condra in favour of JGP, and keeping Smith in the line up gives us more size, more faceoff options and a guy who can drop the mitts if need be.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
If anyone is expendable it is Neil. He is talentless and rarely fights these days.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just because Smith is expendable doesn't mean we should trade him. There are 29 other teams that would kill for a player like him. 6'2, 215, tough as nails, drops the gloves, key PKer and a decent puckhandler who can put up 10G, close to 30P without powerplay time.

I want Smith on this team for the long-term. I'd deal Condra, Conacher and Greening before I'd deal Smith.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Well yes, it is true. But he sure can get penalties though, so I guess that is helpful.

He's a leader, protects the kids, plays a very smart grinding game, annoys the opposing team like crazy, will chip in some good dirty goals, and decent defensively. Good 3rd liner.

Not to mention hes great in the community.

WhiteLight*

I bring you the 1st Leafs goal last night as Exhibit #1. Pageau goes out of his way to rough up Kadri and the Leafs end up on the PP. Methot goes out of his way to lay out Raymond, he ends up out of position and the puck ends up in the back of the net.

:shakehead

So no, Bruiser, no.

I wish we had more Karlssons, Turrises and Wierciochs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad