Speculation: Zack Smith expendable?

Ron Jeremy

Those videos might be better evidence why you'd need guys like Carkner?

Smith is not a deterrent. Never has been. He is a tough, physical player, sure, but he is not really scaring anyone out there. He's a middleweight, at best.

So are most of the dirty pests out there. I love that Boyle didn't want to go but Carks pounded him anyways. This is what the rats do. They try and turtle. Smith can handle that role of rat pounder along with Neil. You need that in a player who can play a regular shift.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
If anyone is expendable it's Chris Phillips, he's old, useless and costs us more than any other player on the ice. In addition, he probably has decent trade value.

You contradict yourself when you say he's old, useless, and not worth the money, but still has good trade value.

Smith is expendable if he can't find some more offence. Note that expendable doesn't mean useless, it just means he'd be replaceable (not terribly hard to find checking line centers).

Berserker*

Smith is not a deterrent. Never has been. He is a tough, physical player, sure, but he is not really scaring anyone out there. He's a middleweight, at best.

Agreed. Smith is more of an agitator than an "enforcer" or "deterrent". But he needs to more fully embrace that role. At this point he isn't as consistent enough of a physical presence as he needs to be. And he needs to spend more time trying to get top six forwards and top 4 d men off their games.

SilverRed

Jan 19, 2011
If anyone is expendable it's Chris Phillips, he's old, useless and costs us more than any other player on the ice. In addition, he probably has decent trade value.

He has decent trade value but he is useless. Okay...Leadership doesn't mean anything to one of youngest rosters in the league

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
As an established NHLer with still potential to grow and years away from his prime, Zack Smith > JOB/Hoffman/Da Costa/Petersson/Kassian.

He doesn't get supplanted by Pageau either, as Smith plays a very important 4th line minutes in Maclean's system.

Thankfully, a Zibby shift as top-6 winger will stop these types of threads, hopefully making the 3rd line centre role for Pageau to lose.

John Holmes*

Well the fact remains that Pageau, Turris and Zibanejad are all best at C.

Maybe the odd man out is going to be Spezza eventually.

I would bet that we could get quite a return for him.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I love Spezza and I think he is top 10 C in the game but if Zibanejad establishes himself as a solid top 30 2 way C and so does Turris at 60-70 point production, I'd consider dealing Spezza.

Like you said though... eventually. I don't see this happening or being brought up at least another year and a half at the deadline at the earliest(cause he could be UFA) but considering he has the C on his chest and the way he plays, fans will bring it up a lot earlier I can tell you that.

At this point and time all 3 combined aren't worth a 100% Spezza. It's gonna be Zibanejad's development curve that will dictate our C's going forward, imo.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

He was just made captain of the team, I doubt he's getting traded. Besides, as others have already stated, why in the world would you make room by offloading the top centre instead of the bottom centre? Makes no sense if you want to actually win games.

The other thing to consider is that if you trade Spezza for this wonderful package what are you going to do with said players? Now you have to fit THEM into the lineup and you've created even more headaches.

Perhaps you were thinking of trading him for draft picks that could perhaps help us several years from now and might even end up being players half as good as Spezza, or perhaps we'd get some new pucks and some top notch ice girls?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
None of Pageau, Zibanejad, or Turris are first line centres - and definitely not projected to be at the elite echelon. Elite, top-5 centres with ppg+ don't grow on trees.

Money and health are about the only reasons why Spezza may not be given a retirement contract next season. Staying healthy is key for Spezza and the organization.

I find the suggestion, which pops up every season, pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berserker*

None of Pageau, Zibanejad, or Turris are first line centres - and definitely not projected to be at the elite echelon. Elite, top-5 centres with ppg+ don't grow on trees.

Money and health are about the only reasons why Spezza may not be given a retirement contract next season. Staying healthy is key for Spezza and the organization.

I find the suggestion, which pops up every season, pathetic.

Spezza isn't an elite top 5 centre either. At this point he is somewhere in the top 10 or 15. It isn't too unreasonable to assume that one of Pageau, Turris or Zibanejad could become that at some point in their respective careers.

Berserker*

If one of them has a break out season and becomes a 1st line centre and another establishes himself as a 2nd line centre then it is a distinct possibility.

At that point it simply comes down to asset management, in which case it would only make sense to move Spezza.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think people in general here get way too bent out of shape about having an extra body at C. There are many cases where talented Cs get moved to the wing to make the team more lethal. Granted, Smith did not do well when that was tried last year, but that was then and this is now. Someone will convert, and all of a sudden we wont have a hole on the right side on the second line anymore.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Spezza isn't an elite top 5 centre either. At this point he is somewhere in the top 10 or 15. It isn't too unreasonable to assume that one of Pageau, Turris or Zibanejad could become that at some point in their respective careers.

Spezza was always touted as one of the highest offensive skill players from when he was a junior. I think expecting even one of those three to fill the shoes Spezza has is unreasonable. They might take his spot as #1C on the team in 4-5 years, but they will never bring to the team what Spezza has.

Turris has the best shot to being the offensive catalyst Spezza is but he's already shown his offensive ceiling isn't as high, although he's a very good two way centre. Zibanejab was also projected as a good two way centre with decent offensive flare. I'd be surprised if Pageau even established himself as a #2C within 5 years.

So one day we might roll with a 1a-1b centreman down the middle a la Boston, with both players hitting 60-70 pts if Turris and Zib continue to develop, but neither will LIKELY ever be the 80-90 pt machine, albeit injury plagued, that Spezza is.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I disagree with you, but we all have our opinions :)

Berserker*

I disagree with you, but we all have our opinions :)

Which part? Spezza not being a top 5 centre or one of Pageau, Zibanejad or Turris having the potential to be a top 15 centre?

In regards to the first part, there are a lot of good centres in the league. With the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Giroux, Getzlaf, Toews, Datsyuk, Henrik Sedin, Joe Thornton and Anze Kopitar (among others) it is pretty hard to justify that Spezza is among the top 5 of that group. Like I said before he is either within the top ten or within the top 15 in the league.

In regards to the second point, all I was stating is that the possibility exists. There may not be a high probability associated with it, but there is certainly the possibility that one of Turris/Zibanejad/Pageau becomes a top 15 centre at some point in their career.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which part? Spezza not being a top 5 centre or one of Pageau, Zibanejad or Turris having the potential to be a top 15 centre?

In regards to the first part, there are a lot of good centres in the league. With the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos, Giroux, Getzlaf, Toews, Datsyuk, Henrik Sedin, Joe Thornton and Anze Kopitar (among others) it is pretty hard to justify that Spezza is among the top 5 of that group. Like I said before he is either within the top ten or within the top 15 in the league.

In regards to the second point, all I was stating is that the possibility exists. There may not be a high probability associated with it, but there is certainly the possibility that one of Turris/Zibanejad/Pageau becomes a top 15 centre at some point in their career.

It would be a stretch to call Spezza a top 5 center in the league right now, though the reality is there is not much separating him from those outside the top three of your list, lots of very good players in that 4-15 range. That said, given you've listed 11 guys that I assume you think are arguable better than Spezza, I have a hard time rationalizing your suggestion of top 15 potential for Pageau, Zibanejad or Turris. Top end for those guys in my mind is more in line with the Kreici level centers.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009

Wasn't he 4th is scoring two years ago? Then missed a lockout shortened season due to injury? Not a lot has changed.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He's one shortened season removed from his career high in goals.

Not sure why we are so quick to write him off.

Well, Milan is kind of a blob. He puts on that red sweater, skates around, occasionally produces some points, gets injured (dissolves), reforms himself into blob state, looks like a hyena, then doesn't do much in the post-season.
Let's face it, when you think of clutch guys Milan isn't exactly at the top of the list. His speed and intensity don't increase when games are most important, he can't or doesn't play through injuries and while we are not in the room, I've never heard him referred to as a leader.

So...why not just flush him if he wants more than 3 or 4 million and play a kid in that spot. The kid is at least going to play above his skill levels to earn his first few deals, will enter his prime and be here longer. Michalek...whatever.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It seems the issue is how to make room for Pageau while not losing (too many) people on waivers. Is Conacher waiver-eligible?

Yes Conacher is waiver eligible, but I doubt we send him down to Bingo.

Someone else previously mentioned it, just move Smith to the wing and problem solved. You can never have enough guys that can take faceoffs anyways, so moving him to the wing is fine. I'm also fine with Pageau playing some wing as well, I don't see why he cannot.

Heck it might be Pageau that takes that top 6 winger spot available.

John Holmes*

Well apparently Zibanejad was on the wing with Mac and Turris yesterday.

I am not your typical "trade Spezza" type every time he makes a blind pass to the other team, but it is a reality of sports.

He is getting older (compared to the new "core" players), he is pretty expensive, and he could get us a pretty good return.

Don't look at the team as is - Spezza, look at it as is, + what Spezza could get you.

I was not saying "trade Spezza" now. He has a NMC anyway, (the BM special).

Zibanejad lining up on the wing tells me they are indeed looking to make room for Pageau down the middle. Zack Smith fans rejoice.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

The perfect video is Smith on Kadri...

WhiteLight*

It would be a stretch to call Spezza a top 5 center in the league right now, though the reality is there is not much separating him from those outside the top three of your list, lots of very good players in that 4-15 range. That said, given you've listed 11 guys that I assume you think are arguable better than Spezza, I have a hard time rationalizing your suggestion of top 15 potential for Pageau, Zibanejad or Turris. Top end for those guys in my mind is more in line with the Kreici level centers.

I'd trade Spezza for Krejci. Krejci is a beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad