Speculation: Zack Smith expendable?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think Zack Smith is favorite of Maclean and Murray, and you would think that there's a few other guys that they would like to move before him. I'd move JOB, Kassian. then maybe even Condra and Conacher before I take Smith out. I thought I remembered Maclean specifically naming Smith as one of the players he was most impressed with last season (while in the thick of the injury crisis).

He just brings that much needed sandpaper that teams need, and would be what I consider and elite/top flight 4th line center. Ideally we move one of Pageau/Zibanejad to the wing in the top 6, and the other anchors the 3rd line.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't want to turn into the Habs and get pushed around.

This right here.

Im okay with both Pageau and Conacher playing meaning rolls in the lineup, but the tradeoff is that the players that they're replacing can't be among our toughest forwards who are depended on to play regular shifts.

Neil, Smith, and Greening cannot be subtracted from the lineup without replacing them with a player of a similar skill set.

I dont want a goon team, or demand that they be among the most physically imposing/punishing squads in the league. But I do want my players to be able to step on the ice with a "take no **** from anyone" attitude, and we need at least a few regulars like Smith in the lineup to continue to be able to play that way.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It seems the issue is how to make room for Pageau while not losing (too many) people on waivers. Is Conacher waiver-eligible?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't think it's Z Smith that is expendable. It's Turris.

Here's what I could see going down before the end of this year:

Pageau is too talented to stay in Bingo, even if he starts there. Instead of moving Smith to the wing to make room for Pageau, where Smith will be fairly useless, I can see Turris eventually being traded for another asset due to his inability to play wing (not physical enough for board play, dirty areas wingers usually go to) and his attractive contract (3.5/yr through 2017/2018), while Mika gets promoted to 2C. Mika is too good to keep down at 3C. This then opens the 3C for Pageau to slip into, while Smith keeps the 4th line locked down, where he belongs. Pageau's skill is too high to consistently play the 4C, even though he is full of piss and vinegar.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I don't think it's Z Smith that is expendable. It's Turris.

Here's what I could see going down before the end of this year:

Pageau is too talented to stay in Bingo, even if he starts there. Instead of moving Smith to the wing to make room for Pageau, where Smith will be fairly useless, I can see Turris eventually being traded for another asset due to his inability to play wing (not physical enough for board play, dirty areas wingers usually go to) and his attractive contract (3.5/yr through 2017/2018), while Mika gets promoted to 2C. Mika is too good to keep down at 3C. This then opens the 3C for Pageau to slip into, while Smith keeps the 4th line locked down, where he belongs. Pageau's skill is too high to consistently play the 4C, even though he is full of piss and vinegar.

Then 2 games after Turris is shipped out, Spezza goes on the IR for the rest of the season and we have a pair of 20 year olds at centre for the top 2 lines. First round exit follows.

John Holmes*

I like Smith, but let's get serious here. Outside of one little hot stretch a year and a half ago, he hasn't really done anything.

Unless taking stupid penalties counts as something.

It's funny to see someone defend Smith and then say he could score 10 goals...that is literally a dime a dozen player defined.

I skipped the last 5 pages of this thread, but I am fairly confident that someone has posted that Maclean asked him to play a different role last season, but I don't know any coach that says "go out there and don't score goals".

For a while he looked like he could replace Fisher, now the bar is set at replacing Neil.

That really says it all to me.

I'd try to find a spot for him, but if he's standing in the way of a better player that would make our team better, he's got to go.

DeVoice

Jan 26, 2012
Sarnia
I would pretty much say cuts will come this weekend 1st group anyway. maybe with what remains we will see who the coaching staff is focused on?
Just a gut feeling but Stashmaster seems like the coach that wants to set his foundation for the season and get to finding chemistry.

just a feeling.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Then 2 games after Turris is shipped out, Spezza goes on the IR for the rest of the season and we have a pair of 20 year olds at centre for the top 2 lines. First round exit follows.

The team won't get deep into the playoffs without Spezza, regardless of who is holding down the 1st line as a replacement. Injured Spezza = we don't seriously contend.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Trade him and we get much softer as a team. Thought fans were crying for a more gritty and "tough" team to play against?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
You're telling me a prospect like Musil or Gernat + a 4th or a 5th is not worth Smith, we traded Kelly for a 2nd i'm sure Smith can get a 1st probably not from Edmonton but some teams would

Kelly is better than Smith. No team in their right mind trades a first for Smith. A 2nd is reasonable given the term on his contract.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Removing Smith on the Senators roster does not make room for Pageau whatsoever. Unfortunately many of you fail to comprehend what the objective for a checking line is to accomplish, and result in unreasonable roster modifications.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Trade him and we get much softer as a team. Thought fans were crying for a more gritty and "tough" team to play against?

That's because the Senators lost to a skilled team in the playoffs last season. I think some people have short memories.

waynson spetzky

Sep 29, 2008
The Sens vs Habs playoff match up last season was the perfect example of why you don't replace guys like Smith with smaller players. You need a nice mix of both if you want to be competitive in the playoffs.

Smith's last season wasn't great but I think with Spezza going down he was maybe forced to take on a little more than he was ready for. Let's see what he's like this season with a healthy lineup (knock on wood) before we label him as expendable.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
And that's the reason you need guys like Neil, Smith. Those pest players like Boyle need to be kept in check or we will lose Karlsson or Turris long term with injury.

Those videos might be better evidence why you'd need guys like Carkner?

Smith is not a deterrent. Never has been. He is a tough, physical player, sure, but he is not really scaring anyone out there. He's a middleweight, at best.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Smith as a 4th line centre or wing shows the depth of a championship contending team, no? The goal is to have 4 good lines and even more depth if possible.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
And that's the reason you need guys like Neil, Smith. Those pest players like Boyle need to be kept in check or we will lose Karlsson or Turris long term with injury.

Still some of my favourite Sens highlights. That is exactly how you deal with players trying to take out your top guys with cheap shots.

I don't think Smith could take on the likes of Boyle, but that is what Kassian is for anyway. He could prevent some of the smaller pests from taking runs at our boys though. Guys like Gallagher in Montreal, for example.

Carlos Danger*

If anyone is expendable it's Chris Phillips, he's old, useless and costs us more than any other player on the ice. In addition, he probably has decent trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->