You may be an ATD'er if....

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
You know you're an ATDer when you're browing the boards because you're bored, and you confine yourself to two sections on the entire board because talking about the present day preseason and regular season happenings, rumours, and even discussion about your own team's training camp, preseason, who they should trade or acquire, and whether they should tank or not seem like pointless drivel compared to the self-enrichment you can achieve by studying hockey history.

I hear that. I've been avoiding Devils boards like the plague since the Kovalchuk drama started.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You may be an ATD'er if... someone asks you what your plans are for the new year and you immediately think of picks you'd like to make in ATD 2011. :laugh:

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
You may be an ATD'er if... someone asks you what your plans are for the new year and you immediately think of picks you'd like to make in ATD 2011. :laugh:

I cannot wait. My first year was a good learning experience and I'm excited to craft a new team.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
... as soon as you hear the ATD might go to 40 teams, you check out what kind of team you would have drafted with the same first spot as last time.

Barring trades, this could have been my starting 5:

Sweeney Schriner - Sid Abel - Gordie Howe
Sylvio Mantha - Brian Leetch

But then by 237 (my 6th pick), the pickings are already starting to get slim...

It'll be a lot different than a 30 team draft, that's for sure.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
... as soon as you hear the ATD might go to 40 teams, you check out what kind of team you would have drafted with the same first spot as last time.

It'll be a lot different than a 30 team draft, that's for sure.

Interesting experiment. Going by if we had a 40 team draft from my first pick at 6 (with some alterations due to needing the right positions), the team could have roughly looked like:

Alex Ovechkin - Marcel Dionne - Vaclav Nedomansky
Sid Smith - Pit Lepine - Dave Taylor
Bob Gainey - Orland Kurtenbach - Harry Oliver
Cliff Koroll - Charlie Burns - Mike Keane
Lorne Campbell - Charlie Sands

Doug Harvey - Eric Desjardins
Ulf Samuelsson - Dunc Munro
Billy Coutu - Gord Fraser
Phat Wilson

Harry Lumley
Andy Moog

Coach Rudy Pilous

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
hmmmm. Lepine on a 2nd line? Sands in the ATD at all? Munro on a 2nd pairing? These things aren't going to potentially happen, are they?

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
hmmmm. Lepine on a 2nd line? Sands in the ATD at all? Munro on a 2nd pairing? These things aren't going to potentially happen, are they?

I doubt it, but I was trying to go with the exact pick for the first few rounds and then stay within a couple of picks of where I'd select in the latter rounds. I don't think that looks anything like a team I'd actually draft. I think it's a useful thing to check out as it illustrates a couple of areas where the draft strategy has to be tweaked a bit for the expansion.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Give the same first spot (#4), this could have been my whole team:

Coach : Cecil Hart

Sweeney Schriner - Sid Abel - Gordie Howe
Keith Tkachuk - Marty Walsh - Vladimir Martinec
Shane Doan- Ken Mosdell - Alf Skinner
Charley "Rabbit" McVeigh - Mike Richards - Leo Labine
Brian Rolston, Walter Smaill

Sylvio Mantha - Brian Leetch
Jean-Guy Talbot - Derian Hatcher
Vasili Pervukhin - Yuri Lyapkin
Howard McNamara

Alec Connell
Henrik Lundqvist

Realistically, this fails to take account of the fact that coaches will probably be taken much later now (same round, but later picks) and who the hell knows what happens to the goalie market (Connell may have been taken earlier; I think he was one of the first backups taken this time).

Edit: I think I screwed up my original team and forgetten a pick, so I redid it. Now, of course, I may have screwed up and given myself one extra pick somewhere in the middle, but whatever.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
That's a lot better then what I put together :laugh:. Hopefully most teams end up looking more like your team.

I don't know how realistic it is though. I knew Marty Walsh was still available when 4th lines were being selected with 30 teams, and it's unlikely he'll last that long with 40, but who knows.

If I missed out on him, the next scoring center was Brad Richards, "a bit" of a step down.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Yeah...a 40 team draft. Don McKenney becomes a pretty darned good 2nd liner in that scenario. I was of the opinion in 28 team drafts that putting together the 2nd unit was the hardest part of the process, but now it is going to be that much harder.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
if.. everything hockey-related seems to relate to the ATD somehow

eg., the pyramid idea of all-time greats talked about on the history board makes one think: hell, the ATD already has that!

ATD level (top-6 forward vs. extra skater; top pairing dman vs. 2nd and 3rd pairing guy, etc)
MLD level,
AAA level :)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
...when you're on a date with a woman and you're wondering if you made the right choice drafting Gretzky instead of Howe and would truly like to share your worries with her but decide to resist the urge :D

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If you can find a girl that can cope with the ATD, you marry her.

I would marry her then ask her her opinion on every picks , just to completely dismiss it and act like a know-it-all because you know , I'm a man , I must know hockey better :D

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When I saw the ATD thread in the history section ( seventieslord I think ) I didn't even know what it was but I do like drafts and I do like all-time discussion , and since then I admit I don't even go in the other sections except History of Hockey.It's a good thing , because this site is getting good at turning sane people into highly challenging psychiatric cases.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
define "cope".

:laugh:

by the way, I've been meaning to ask, are LL and I the only two ATD GMs who dare try this with a wife and/or child?

Are saying you actually do your team with your wife or just talking about having a wife/child and doing this :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad