You may be an ATD'er if....

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

if you plan your life around the ATD and where there's a conflict, well, life plans can change

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... if people say you "overthink" things and you object: "What else am I to do while I'm commuting, waiting in lines, watching t.v. commercials during games, listening to my girlfriend, eating, showering, and sleeping? Geeez."

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
You'd rather lose your hard drive than your draft list. I fall into this category. ;)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I took a trip to Ottawa with a few friends this past summer. I went for a jog around 4 am and ended up in Gatineau, Quebec. There's a large statue of Rocket Richard a block away from the Museum of Civilization. Recalling a move I made in ATD #7, I muttered to myself, "Sorry for trading you for Stan Mikita". Suddenly a few large, shady-looking characters appeared and demanded (en francais) why I traded their beloved icon for a lowly Hawk.

I wasn't exactly in the mood to explain what an ATD is, so I quickly jogged back to Ottawa.

I used to live only 2 blocks down the street from that statue.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Got a new one! This happened last night...

I just started dating this girl, maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago. It's going pretty well. Anyways, last night I played "meet the parents". We had dinner started making small talk. Long story short, after about 30 minutes I got a few dirty looks demanding that I cut short my conversation with her dad regarding the value of Dale Hunter vs his boy Pete Mahovlich. I guess I was getting pretty riled up! I didn't even notice my voice rising!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

you know that when Ted Harris' name was engraved on the Stanley Cup for 1975 it was listed as TED HARRIS but when he won Cups in the 1960s it was engraved as EDWARD HARRIS.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Or when Hockey Outsider omits to name the guy who posted a 0-29-29 season with the Leafs and '48 for... well, whatever reason, and you say ; Hey HO, it's isn't the all-time draft, you can name Jimmy Thomson!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yes, I'll have to dig it up....

Ok, I ask because though Wikipedia isn't the definitive source it lists errors on the Cup here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditions_and_anecdotes_associated_with_the_Stanley_Cup

Errors in engraving
There have been numerous errors on the engraving on the Cup, some of which also exist on the duplicate Cup found in the Hockey Hall of Fame:[2][35]

• In 1929, Boston Bruins player-coach Cy Denneny's name was listed on the Cup twice (once as a coach "Cy Dennenny Coach"), with one being spelled correctly and the other as a player "C Denneny".
  • In 1942 Walter "Turk" Broda was engraved on the Stanley Cup twice. Once as "Turk Broda", and other time a "Walter" Broda
  • Dickie Moore's named is spelled five different ways, and Jacques Plante's name four ways.
  • Several teams were misspelled, the Toronto Maple Leafs was spelled "Toronto Maple Leaes" (1963), the Montreal Canadiens was spelled "Montreal Canadiene" (1965), the Boston Bruins was spelled "Bqstqn Bruins" (1972), and the New York Islanders was spelt "New York Ilanders" (1981)
  • In 1984, Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington included his father, Basil. However, as Basil had no official connection to the team, his name was X'ed out.
  • In 1996, Colorado Avalanche's Adam Deadmarsh's last name was spelled "Deadmarch". It was later corrected, the first time a correction had been made.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
On the 1936 Cup team it's spelled Sid Howe because that was his name. Apparently he changed it to Syd later.

From: http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html
Syd Howe's (2-3-5) name is spelled "Sid" on the Cup, he later changed his name to "Syd".

From: http://info.detnews.com/redesign/history/story/historytemplate.cfm?id=169
Sid Howe, right, with Wings owner Jim Norris. Howe worked as a machinist at Ford by day and played center and left wing by night.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8m...gXmWVvW&sig=NXsi1jxveX68SnvfTw3FhwdQKuE&hl=en

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/LandingPage.aspx?type=glp&img=\\na0014\6789399\42710929_clean.html

If you do a google search alot of the older newspapers and books refer to him as Sid Howe instead of Syd Howe which makes me think the name changing thing is true.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Last night I was watching UP. Hearing the names Ernie and Russell (the main characters), I thought of Ernie Russell, and how I should try and find some time over Christmas to research some of those older guys. Then I thought of this thread. Yup.

Edit: Ernie Russell? Wait, what the hell, was that even their names? :laugh:

Last edited:

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
You may be an ATDer if..

- Whenever someone says "draft" you think of the ATD.

- When someone says you're on the clock, you rush to the computer to make your pick even if the ATD isn't running.

- You correct people who've been watching hockey much longer than you about hockey history.

Ernie Russell rocks. He should be a second liner.

He's a 2nd liner but Weiland isn't? :(

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
You may be an ATDer if your first reaction to that "Stajan...to Keon...scores!" commercial on TSN was "why would they put two 2-way, playmaking centers on the same line?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad