You may be an ATD'er if....

Diving Pokecheck*

My attempt at humor. feel free to add your own observations.

... when visiting the Hall of Fame, you make sure to check out the exhibits featuring the pre-WWI players that you picked up in the last draft.

... you have actually made the argument that surviving influenza in 1918 will give a player more stamina for a playoff run.

... your opinion on the quality of PCHA hockey is well known throughout your household.

... When watching real hockey on TV, you have a tendency to shout, "That's my boy!" when a player or coach you hold the rights to appears on TV.

... you have pondered what kind of design a 1950's goaltender would have put on his mask had he played in the modern era.

... you often stop and ask yourself, 'who is really the 765th best hockey player of all time?'

... you pine for the creative names of old time NHL hockey. Where have "Hod", "Cyclone", "Bullet Joe", "Phat", "Dubbie", "Dit", and "Tiny" gone?

Diving Pokecheck*

... you strongly believe that 1920's goaltenders are underrated.

... you compare the play of your team's new rookie to that of Cy Denneny.

... you think that a 1940's New York Americans jersey would be the "dopest" thing ever.

... you were personally offended by the fact that Brian Rolston was picked in ATD #7.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... you often stop and ask yourself, 'who is really the 765th best hockey player of all time?'
seventieslord said:
...you are constantly keeping a mental list in your head of players who might be your next pick.
Agent Dale Cooper said:
... you were personally offended by the fact that Brian Rolston was picked in ATD #7.
Absolutely!

And...

... you are upset that another g.m. stole your pick but more happy that the player got deserved recognition

... you no longer consider the 1950's to be the old era

... you start to consider a Master's degree in Hockey History as a career path

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
You spend hours everyday working on your draft list for ATD #9 even though it's months away and you're going to let your Co-GM post the picks. I need :help: . ;)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You spend hours everyday working on your draft list for ATD #9 even though it's months away and you're going to let your Co-GM post the picks. I need :help: . ;)
Based on past timelines, ATD 9 will likely start in mid-March, giving us enough time to finish the draft and the playoffs before July 1.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
-You pass time testing yourself on who won the cup each year between 1915 & 2007.
-Quality time with the parents involves explaining the tragedy of Charlie Gardiner.
-Mild acquaintances know you as the hockey trivia guy.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
-You pass time testing yourself on who won the cup each year between 1915 & 2007.
If you were a real ATD'er, it would be in your memory like your phone number and this exercise would be totally unneccessary.

During round 4 or so of ATD8, I had to go out of town over the weekend to save a relationship with a girl who had just moved ~five hours away. In fairness to me, I had already pretty much resigned that it was over anyway, but as I was leaving on one hour notice at 2am on a Saturday, I took the time to send my list to BM67.

Edit: I just looked it up. ATD8 thread 1, post #1086. I selected Tony Esposito and Busher Jackson.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
-Quality time with the parents involves explaining the tragedy of Charlie Gardiner.
-Mild acquaintances know you as the hockey trivia guy.

I hate it when I'm called the hockey trivia guy. For some reason I feel like it's more than trivia. I prefer being called the hockey historian by mild acquaintances haha.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
If you were a real ATD'er, it would be in your memory like your phone number and this exercise would be totally unneccessary.

During round 4 or so of ATD8, I had to go out of town over the weekend to save a relationship with a girl who had just moved ~five hours away. In fairness to me, I had already pretty much resigned that it was over anyway, but as I was leaving on one hour notice at 2am on a Saturday, I took the time to send my list to BM67.

Edit: I just looked it up. ATD8 thread 1, post #1086. I selected Tony Esposito and Busher Jackson.

While we're playing this ATD story game: Between rounds 12 and 20 of ATD 5 I was at a training camp in Hawaii. Usually at these camps we work out two or three times a day and have TONS of free time just sitting around the hotel. There was no wireless connection though and no internet in the hotel. Every time I had to make a pick I had to walk 20 minutes to an internet cafe and pay for the full hour. One time I realized my time was up half way through a workout- I skipped out on the last set and cool down and ran back to the hotel, got my list, and then kept running to the internet cafe. My roommates thought I was completely insane. To top it all off GBC was picking right after me and I was always using my full window because I didn't want to pay if I didn't get to pick. Needless to say- he wasn't too impressed!

I like this game, I want to hear everyone's most ridiculous ATD story.

Diving Pokecheck*

After Pavel Datsyuk, Brian Rafalski, and Harry Hyland were taken, I honestly had no idea who to pick. Not only that, I had just arrived home from school and had less then 15 minutes to make my pick.
I'm glad that I found Harry Trihey.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

I took a trip to Ottawa with a few friends this past summer. I went for a jog around 4 am and ended up in Gatineau, Quebec. There's a large statue of Rocket Richard a block away from the Museum of Civilization. Recalling a move I made in ATD #7, I muttered to myself, "Sorry for trading you for Stan Mikita". Suddenly a few large, shady-looking characters appeared and demanded (en francais) why I traded their beloved icon for a lowly Hawk.

I wasn't exactly in the mood to explain what an ATD is, so I quickly jogged back to Ottawa.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
While we're playing this ATD story game: Between rounds 12 and 20 of ATD 5 I was at a training camp in Hawaii. Usually at these camps we work out two or three times a day and have TONS of free time just sitting around the hotel. There was no wireless connection though and no internet in the hotel. Every time I had to make a pick I had to walk 20 minutes to an internet cafe and pay for the full hour. One time I realized my time was up half way through a workout- I skipped out on the last set and cool down and ran back to the hotel, got my list, and then kept running to the internet cafe. My roommates thought I was completely insane. To top it all off GBC was picking right after me and I was always using my full window because I didn't want to pay if I didn't get to pick. Needless to say- he wasn't too impressed!

I remember picking behind you in ATD 5 and MLD 5. Not always a fun experience. I fixed the problem really well, though - I recruited you to be my co-GM.

Outside of working with raleh, the most fun I've had in this thing was my "trash talk" with Murphy. Of course, it was all in good fun - Murph and I had talked about it before once we found out we were in same division, and we kept everything clean. Ultimately, Murph had the last laugh when he thumped my team in the second round.

Stories. Nothing as good as VanI, raleh or ck. I'll admit: if I'm in Mexico, or Jamaica, or something to that effect, I won't be thinking ATD much. I might check in a couple times during the week. Just way too much time checking in on the draft when I should be working, reading about the latest pick when I should be doing a phone interview, etc. I do remember telling my Dad (in town from B.C.) I would be right with him while announcing the George Armstrong pick in the last draft. Hey, he was our captain.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You muttered "My sympathy for the family" when you red that Bill Juzda passed away yesterday, at age 92.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... you hear Juzda passed away yesterday and you immediately think "398 PIM in 398 games, two-time all-star gamer taken as the seventh d-man by Vancity and TC to sit on their Giants bench as the extra d... maybe he'll go higher the next time around"

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I can remember having to travel during a time when my pick was up. I think I left a list with GBC and had my kid bring his laptop from school and kept bugging him every 1/2 hr to try and log on to see if the guy I wanted got selected for me.

I can rememeber another time coming home after two many beers one night and making a pick. Can't for the life of me remember who it was but the next morning I remember not being real impressed with myself lol.

I can also remember missing a pick because of stopping somewhere and getting into the beers unexpectedly and the guilt I felt for having to be skipped was unreal! I didn't care if the wife was unhappy with me, I cared more that my fellow draftee's were unhappy, lol.

Might be a clue in there as to why we're no longer together lol.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I can remember having to travel during a time when my pick was up. I think I left a list with GBC and had my kid bring his laptop from school and kept bugging him every 1/2 hr to try and log on to see if the guy I wanted got selected for me.

I can rememeber another time coming home after two many beers one night and making a pick. Can't for the life of me remember who it was but the next morning I remember not being real impressed with myself lol.

I can also remember missing a pick because of stopping somewhere and getting into the beers unexpectedly and the guilt I felt for having to be skipped was unreal! I didn't care if the wife was unhappy with me, I cared more that my fellow draftee's were unhappy, lol.

Might be a clue in there as to why we're no longer together lol.
It's been a while since I made the crack about Murphy and his infamous "beer storm" from ATD 6. Long live the bars of Fort St. John, B.C. Probably the only time Murphy's ever been skipped.

Murph, how man times have I picked for you? Dozens? I remember in MLD 5 Murph sent me a list of seven guys who he wanted for mid-draft picks. He was going to drag racing nationals, and he didn't want to hold the process up. I think we probably thought we might get through three or four rounds. We got through seven. And he got all seven guys he wanted. And these weren't joke sentimental picks, either. ATD mainstays like Ted Green, Charlie Hodge and Jamie Langenbrunner were on that list. So was Ab McDonald, who finally cracked the ATD this time around.

Geez, that MLD 5 was fun. Looking back on that thing, it's amazing how many guys went for the first time. I was the first guy to pick players like Kenny Wharram and Dick Duff (the day BEFORE he went in the HHOF).

I think a lot of GMs have had a beer-induced pick moment. I'm not sure if I've ever picked when drunk - I've had picks where I've wished I was drunk, would have given me an excuse. pit has a really good (or really bad, depends on your perspective) "drunk while making a big ATD trade" story. I remember raleh admitted he was drinking when he picked Andreychuk in ATD 6. I marvelled that the dude could spell "Andreychuk" after a few.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:teach: Kovalchuk as your Oilers' first line left winger in the main ATD6 back in 2006

(a better pick now, though still not a great main draft first liner in an all-time context).

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
- if you're eagerly anticipating the start of the next ATD and have your team name and logo already picked out (for those who don't use the same name over).

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
haha, I remember that night. I slept at a buddy's house and I remember sitting on his computer googling Dave Anderchuck and copying and pasting it. Then I went on to tell him that I had just drafted the steal of the draft saying "I just got a great RW from the oiler's dynasty years!" After a while he says "Rich, I think that guy's name was Anderson. I think you drafted that really slow guy that plays for Tampa..."

It's been a while since I made the crack about Murphy and his infamous "beer storm" from ATD 6. Long live the bars of Fort St. John, B.C. Probably the only time Murphy's ever been skipped.

Murph, how man times have I picked for you? Dozens? I remember in MLD 5 Murph sent me a list of seven guys who he wanted for mid-draft picks. He was going to drag racing nationals, and he didn't want to hold the process up. I think we probably thought we might get through three or four rounds. We got through seven. And he got all seven guys he wanted. And these weren't joke sentimental picks, either. ATD mainstays like Ted Green, Charlie Hodge and Jamie Langenbrunner were on that list. So was Ab McDonald, who finally cracked the ATD this time around.

Geez, that MLD 5 was fun. Looking back on that thing, it's amazing how many guys went for the first time. I was the first guy to pick players like Kenny Wharram and Dick Duff (the day BEFORE he went in the HHOF).

I think a lot of GMs have had a beer-induced pick moment. I'm not sure if I've ever picked when drunk - I've had picks where I've wished I was drunk, would have given me an excuse. pit has a really good (or really bad, depends on your perspective) "drunk while making a big ATD trade" story. I remember raleh admitted he was drinking when he picked Andreychuk in ATD 6. I marvelled that the dude could spell "Andreychuk" after a few.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Someone asked me if I was going to the Cyclone Taylor Cup today and the first thing I thought of was him centering Guy Lafleur on my last ATD team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad