Waived: [WSH] F Evgeny Kuznetsov waived by the Capitals (cleared)

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
You have to think there's no way he reports to an AHL team. But I guess that would mean forfeiting his salary. Last ditch effort to show him there's no takers before mutual termination?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Because he’s a talented player who’d be an upgrade on Domi and would be a big upgrade on the 2nd pp. I seen what he did on the Capitals cup run I know he has it in him to be a solid top 6 contributor. The leafs need low budget options and the risk reward ratio on Kuz would be huge

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Because he’s a talented player who’d be an upgrade on Domi and would be a big upgrade on the 2nd pp. I seen what he did on the Capitals cup run I know he has it in him to be a solid top 6 contributor. The leafs need low budget options and the risk reward ratio on Kuz would be huge
He is not that guy anymore. Sorry 😒

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I don’t think he’s that interested in playing hockey anymore, I doubt he would give his best effort anywhere.

The skill might be there somewhere, but I think he would hurt more than help.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Kuznetsov clears, I'd be interested n making a trade with the Caps to pair him with Sharangovich. Maybe Kuznetsov retained for Kuzmenko, I just mean retained enough to match cap hits.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Seems like he'll get bought out this summer, so he's got whatever his prorated salary is the rest of the year + 2m next year + 2m the year after that

I'd ride the bus in the AHL for that.

I think someone will take a chance on him if the perception is that his drop in play was directly related to issues that may have been addressed in the assistance program. Obviously life isn't that black and white, and he still may have major struggles.

I don't think he gets claimed, but I could see a deal for another bad contract. For Washington, he is a sunk cost. Cap is an asset. If the get someone with a lower cap hit and similar term, that's a win even if they don't want the player.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I know, but he's also desperate for a gamechanging center, and I wondered if the Caps connection would.come into play
If he's stupid enough to sign Kuzy it will certainly be a gamechanger fo Nashville!

They'll change their game right out of a playoff spot :laugh:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I don’t think he’s that interested in playing hockey anymore, I doubt he would give his best effort anywhere.

The skill might be there somewhere, but I think he would hurt more than help.
IMO the skill is there but you can see it on his face and body language during the games. He makes the wrong decision more now then ever. It’s almost a confidence problem. Pair that with what you said and it’s a no win situation. Maybe if he ended up with a superstar it would allow him to take the back seat and do better with less expectations. Forever greatful for the cup run and the pens goal

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If they terminate him Teams like Toronto, Vegas and Tampa need to be all over him, you don't get a player that skilled and talented for free very often

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Isn’t it a bad look to waive him after his finishing the play assistance program? Shows Washington has no confidence in the assistance program rehabbing players

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If they terminate him Teams like Toronto, Vegas and Tampa need to be all over him, you don't get a player that skilled and talented for free very often
It would be a huge risk. I really don't think the Leafs should consider picking up Kuznetsov if he were to become a free agent. If they do it will mess up Sammy again! One of the reasons the Caps cut ties with Sammy was becuz Kuznetsov was a bad influence on Sammy(they were roommates on the road). Sammy seems to be finding his game again, and the last thing he needs is Kuzy to mess up his psyche again.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Isn’t it a bad look to waive him after his finishing the play assistance program? Shows Washington has no confidence in the assistance program rehabbing players
You and some other posters have not done your hockey homework! Kuzy has been screwing up numerous times over a 6 year span, where the Caps have been very patient with him trying to sort things out. Kuzy kept failing every time the Caps kept giving him support and chances. There comes a point when enough is enough! He has become a big distraction to the team. So once he was cleared to practice after being released from the assistance program, the Caps rightfully so waived him. And it's not like Kuzy's party was completely shocked and unaware this was going to happen. So the Players Union can go shove it if they try to intervene!

Kuzy will most likely not report to Hershey. That will trigger a clause in his contract which gives the Caps the right to terminate his contract. For the record, this is probably something both parties have mutually agreed upon behind closed doors to the media. Kuzy will probably become a free agent, but opt to play in the KHL where he would still be paid better than getting an minimum salary 1 year prorated contract from another team.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Working homelessness is a massive problem in California, with people living out of their cars and trailers but holding down jobs, at least for a while. Again, look it up. Nobody is saying there isn't a policy problem in these cities, just that the primary issue isn't drug usage rates, which are comparable to many other locations.

I'm done. This is a hockey forum. But it's crazy to hear the extent to which people will object to arguments that aren't even being made in the name of ideology.
Having a conversation with a wall rarely works out.

Reactions: Block and RooBicks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It would be a huge risk. I really don't think the Leafs should consider picking up Kuznetsov if he were to become a free agent. If they do it will mess up Sammy again! One of the reasons the Caps cut ties with Sammy was becuz Kuznetsov was a bad influence on Sammy(they were roommates on the road). Sammy seems to be finding his game again, and the last thing he needs is Kuzy to mess up his psyche again.

I acknowledge It's a huge risk, but if you can get a player this skilled and talented for cheap, because he probably won't get a ton because most of the teams he want to go to don't have a ton of money.

If you are a contender and you can get him cheap you should he's to talented to not to at least call his agent.

Boston should be ALL over this.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I think he's worth a shot on another team , may as well wait for the caps to buy him out but if they retained or took back enough maybe they can move him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad